Laser rust remover getting affordable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to illustrate a 21k (in 2015) hull job. This was my first haul out in Spring 2018, just few months after I bought the boat. No wonder I wish to do this properly myself!

IMG_0268.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Blisters!

Wow. That sucks. Does the whole bottom look like that? Or just around the rudder? That is going to be a huge DIY job. A laser cleaner does seem like it would be perfect for getting in all the hard to reach corners around that rudder.

The beam at the bottom, the rudder, aft area, was the worst. Huge blisters everywhere. The hull had blisters all the way, but smaller ones.
Yes, those corners and angles need to be blasted, or the laser might come to rescue. The laser will be slow, but it can reach all areas, if works. I am retired, so time is not an issue. Boatyard fees maybe. If I can keep it on dry for few weeks, I think it can be done.
What I am reading is that the laser can be set to just to remove top layers. If that is the case, I do not need to go down to the metal. Meaning, rusting on bare metal will not have to happen. The primer still looks intact. Everything else should be removed and properly painted.

I will certainly get in touch with a shop, who uses laser. I just need to find one. I will not buy one until I can see how it works and what can be done on a metal boat with it. The videos online do not show boat hull treatments with laser. At least I could not find one.

I wonder why pleasure boat yards do not have this equipment available? Can it be that this could be way cheaper, once you can buy, or rent, a laser cleaner? Prices are coming down. I saw the same equipment couple years ago for 20-50K. Now it is between 5-12K. If one could rent one, it would be much cheaper than blasting. Plus, no preparation, no safety concerns, no cleanup, no harm to the environment. All it needs is electricity.

LeoKa, your pics in post #31 show a lot of problems. When I suggested up-thread that blisters on a steel boat may not be a serious issue I had no idea the extent. I don't think a new coat over the blisters is a good idea. As you are aiming to do removal of the anti fouling is in order.

Regarding leaving the primer intact I encourage you to talk with a good paint rep about that idea. He will want to know what the undercoating is to make an assesment. My thoughts are the blistering is due to improper mxing and or curing of the undercoating. Perhaps also incompatible undercoat and anti fouling. Overcoating the existing primer my just result in more blistering. Best to get some expert advise on this. We used International now AzkoNoble products. We purchased from International Paints LLC in Seattle. I can't give you the rep's name because he retired before I did.

Regarding DIY. I know of two yards you can contact. Port of Port Townsend has a tolerance for DIY. I have no idea of their rates and other requirments for DIY. Mariner's Haven in Oak Harbor will sometimes allow DIY. When I talked with Mark over a year ago he charged for haulout, blocking and tarping under the boat which of course varied by boat size. Then there is the daily lay charge for DIY. I don't know if that's is alos charge by length, probably is. At that time he wanted $50 / day for my 42' boat. That will add up quickly. If you call Mark at Mariner's Haven be sure to tell him size and weight, his lift has limits.

I used to work in and out of Port Angeles. It looked to me like there were some DIY projects going on there.

LeoKa,
I used to work in and out of Port Angeles. It looked to me like there were some DIY projects going on there.

Thanks for the suggestions and good advice.
I am familiar with PT yard, as I had my boat there last Spring. Great place and so far DIY friendly. How long? Nobody knows. The regulations are keep growing. The daily yard rate is about correct and the haul out for my boat there is about $1200 round trip. Blasting is not permitted.
I have another yard in mind, where blasting is possible, but there are other restrictions. Hard to find the yard, which could be the best for my project. This is why I am so interested in this laser thing.
Regarding to the paint removal, I do not have all the answers. You might be correct. I will need to talk to paint shops, before this project.
Too many questions, but I still have time to decide. I just need to pay a diver more frequently till then.

Couple videos on the equipment in action.

I would definitely find a place where you can test a part of your own that reasonably reflects the paints and rust that you are experiencing and need to remove. Based on this video ...the frequency they are running at and the material(s) being removed leaves concern for your application.

I have watched a ton of Videos on YouTube, but have not seen any where they were using the laser to remove thick epoxy coatings like you have on the bottom of a boat. I am sure there is equipment that can do it, but it is not clear to me how big and expensive it might be.

I have been searching for a renting laser rust/paint remover equipment. I was not lucky so far. At least not in the PNW area. My steel hull needs a serious cleaning, but yards do not want to allow blasting anymore for DIY boar owners.
The laser tool would be perfect, since it is very environmental friendly and based on the videos I have seen, it could handle surfaces, which are impossible to clean with sanders. My boat’s hull has plenty of those.
I understand that a laser tool is quite slow, - if you have a smaller unit, - but if I have something plenty as a retired person, is time. Of course, large industries can afford very powerful laser equipment ( navy, Air Force, commercial shipping, etc. ), which can handle large surfaces. Their budget is bit bigger then mine.
Few years ago, I had a conversation with a private business, which would consider renting me an equipment like this for a week for about 3K. He would not be interested in renting for 2-3 days only, which I think the hull cleaning would take in my case. So, I postponed the deal.
Recently I started to look around on the subject again. Prices come down significantly, although a basic level equipment is still hovering in the 10-15K price range to buy from a US company.
But.
If I go to the well known Asian online source, some of the basic level laser cleaning equipment can be as low as 1-3K. That price is something I would consider as a good investment. If I store it somewhere and use it every 2-3 years once, it will recover its price very quickly check HANTENCNC. Yes, with a smaller equipment I will need more than 2-3 days, but sanding would take even longer. Again, the hull/rudder/beam has countless corners and angles, which is very difficult to clean down to base metal.
Hiring a company today for blasting a steel hull is still over 10K in our area and the results are not guaranteed. This was the case with my boat. The previous owner paid over 21K for a full hull blasting and painting job at a reputable yard here. The first thing the diver told me when he cleaned the hull just few years after, was that the hull has blisters all over. I still have the video he gave me as the new owner of the boat.
What I don’t know, if those prices are for refurbished and used equipment, or it is false advertising? Or, the prices came down that much? The web site I am referring to has the word express in it. You can look it up yourself.
I am looking for opinions on the buy, or not to buy, of a laser ablation equipment? Has anyone ever used one? If yes, how productive the cleaning process was? Pro, or contra, of this surface cleaning for metal boats? Or just your idea of buying versus renting it? Thanks.
Hello. Anyone have experience with rust removal lasers? Good brands?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom