Leaky water heater....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete s

Vessel Name
Sveikas!
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R31-CB
I have a 2018 Ranger Tug R31-CB. Love the boat!
But... the water heater sprung a leak last year....( Isotemp Spa 40V). Sending iPhone camera and borescope into the beast via anode replacement panel reveals what looks like significant rust along welded seams as well as what definitely appears to be at least one pinhole not at a seam. ( I know... the weakness of even good grade stainless is at the welds...). So... the water heater at that point was 5yrs and 2 months old.... Is 5 years too much to expect out of a name brand stainless steel water heater??
Guess what??? 5 year warranty !!!
I contacted the manufacturer at that time... who responded right away offering "to help...".
Filled out the requested forms... sent the requested pix... NO RESPONSE.. sent another.. and another... and another... NO RESPONSE!
My guess is... the nice guy who initially responded with "we'll help" is now digging potatoes in Lithuania...
Anyone out there with a similar experience or solutions!!
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_9012.jpeg
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 52
SS shouldn’t corrode too much in tank applications unless there is some stray current. I’d say replace with like only if you can exclude poor tank materials and find a bad ground. Have you tried sticking a magnet to the tank? Poor quality SS can prove slightly magnetic.

I have never gotten less than 10 years out of a water heater. Your real restriction is base on what will fit the space. I always prefer exact drop in’s as installation cost can often exceed the cost of the product.

Hopefully, you will get a response from Isotemp.

Boat manufacturers often buy such accessories from the lowest bidder. This is how Bayliner got such a bad reputation. Not because the boats were bad but because the accessories were so cheaply spec. Out

I think we learned a long time ago that if you want a tank to last, it must be glass lined. SS is not even a close 2nd, with Alum. bringing up the rear almost out of sight. Raritan and Torrid make good quality, potentially long lasting water heaters. Like everything else, maintenance is key.

If they fit the space is a different matter.

Does your water heater have a separate heating element ?
If that is the case you can simply replace the heating element. Had to do that 2 months ago. Also started with a leak and then the circuit breaker decided it was enough. Bought a new heating element for about 140 euro, took the old one out, new one in and the boiler worked again.
Hope you have the same set up.

Now that Luna mentioned it, all my water heaters have been Torrid. Maybe that explains my experience.

Glass lined, flush when dirty, change anode when required and keep the outside dry is about all you need to do to ensure a long life of your water heater.

Despite what was said earlier in this thread changing an open resistance heating element will not fix the pin holes that are leaking.

If you can fit it, afford it and want longevity, get a glass lined heater.

Does your water heater have a separate heating element ?
If that is the case you can simply replace the heating element. Had to do that 2 months ago. Also started with a leak and then the circuit breaker decided it was enough. Bought a new heating element for about 140 euro, took the old one out, new one in and the boiler worked again.
Hope you have the same set up.

How does replacing the heating element address a leak?

Our water heater is leaking, replacement ordered.

-Chris

How does replacing the heating element address a leak?

Our water heater is leaking, replacement ordered.

-Chris
The heating element is screwed into the tank of the boiler. Mine was leaking water out of that connection, we had been using shore water during the winter time and that was full with calcium. The rubber seal failed and the leak started. I pulled out the heating element, but realized I had to change it, the element itself was also not in a very good condition anymore. So bought a new heating element, screwed it in place and the leak was resolved.
If your boiler leaks from a completely different location then indeed it has nothing to do with the heating element, that is why I asked it.

While water heaters aren't inexpensive, they are (IMO) consumables. Nobody expects a water heater to last forever and some die in a relatively short time. Considering where they are often located on boats, changing them when convenient makes sense. During my refit, while the engine and generator were out, I replaced the 13 year old Raritan water heater in an hour, because it would never be easier. With the engine, generator, and saloon floor in place, I'm guessing 4 to 10 hours depending on whether the floor had to be removed.

As to a 5 year old one leaking, I would probably consider an alternative brand if the manufacturer isn't showing any sympathy.

In contrast, the one in my garage was going strong at 20 years, but needed to be relocated for shelving installation. It was replaced when relocated. Found something to do with the space above the door. :thumb:

20240722_134941.jpg

The heating element is screwed into the tank of the boiler. Mine was leaking water out of that connection, we had been using shore water during the winter time and that was full with calcium. The rubber seal failed and the leak started. I pulled out the heating element, but realized I had to change it, the element itself was also not in a very good condition anymore. So bought a new heating element, screwed it in place and the leak was resolved.
If your boiler leaks from a completely different location then indeed it has nothing to do with the heating element, that is why I asked it.

Ah. Got it. I'd hoped our leak was from around the element, too... but it wasn't....

-Chris

The killer for SS hot water heaters is running them without the magnesium anode in the heater, without an anode you will be lucky to get ten years and if your boat is in the water all of the time (not stored) you can easily use up a magnesium anode in a single year as I learned living aboard on my trip to Mexico. There was no anode left after 11 months living aboard.

We bought a boat many years ago. When I went into the engine room I could hear the water heater sizzling because the owner drained it and left it powered on. I assumed that I would have to replace at least the element but I had that boat for 8 years and the water heater was still working fine when I sold the boat…

Our boat had two 12 gallon Raritan water heaters. One of them developed an internal leak two years ago. It was 24 years old. The one still in the boat is relatively new at only 22 years old!
Due to availability, I replaced the Raritan with a Kuuma water 11 gallon water heater. Build quality isn't superb, but it's worked flawlessly for the past two years.
5 years and 2 months out of a properly maintained water heater is unacceptable.

I have a 2018 Ranger Tug R31-CB. Love the boat!
But... the water heater sprung a leak last year....( Isotemp Spa 40V). Sending iPhone camera and borescope into the beast via anode replacement panel reveals what looks like significant rust along welded seams as well as what definitely appears to be at least one pinhole not at a seam. ( I know... the weakness of even good grade stainless is at the welds...). So... the water heater at that point was 5yrs and 2 months old.... Is 5 years too much to expect out of a name brand stainless steel water heater??
Guess what??? 5 year warranty !!!
I contacted the manufacturer at that time... who responded right away offering "to help...".
Filled out the requested forms... sent the requested pix... NO RESPONSE.. sent another.. and another... and another... NO RESPONSE!
My guess is... the nice guy who initially responded with "we'll help" is now digging potatoes in Lithuania...
Anyone out there with a similar experience or solutions!!
Pete
My whale water heater failed at 2 years. They replaced it under the two year warranty.

My whale water heater failed at 2 years. They replaced it under the two year warranty.
Same, two years. Sh*t welding. Replaced with a Torrid.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3794.jpeg
    IMG_3794.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom