Lehman oil lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Anyone replace their oil lines on the 120 Lehman? Original oil lines are 3/8 and when ordering replacement oil lines from AD the send the upgrade which is 1/2 inch lines. I can't get them to bend at radius that I am comfortable with. They seem to kink, not necessarily blocking flow but don't bend in a nice smooth arc.

I am thinking about just getting some 3/8 replacements made up at the local hydraulic shop. Is there any reason not to have unions on each end of the hose rather than on just one end as they are originally and how they come from AD?

I used the push-on (yellow collar) type hose and it did a really nice job. Hose is rated at 300psi, so more than adequate for the service. Can't remember if I moved to 1/2" . Don't think I did. Can send photos, but am travelling right now. The nice thing was that you can cut to length on the boat to get the best fit.

Nick, I'm not familiar with that type of hose and fittings.

Have you tried softening them with a heat gun? Maybe use a coffee or the like to form the curve?
Carl, I have not tried heating them, maybe kink was too strong of a word, it is more like when I bend the hose it doesn't quite kink but seems to compress the hose at the bend. I only ran the forward oil line from the cooler to the oil takeoff plate.

I had to replace mine on my maiden delivery voyage as they started leaking. A trip to the local NAPA store that made hydraulic hoses (mostly for snowplows) took care of what I needed in no time. It was all standard stuff.
Nothing ever kinked during installation.

D
I had to replace mine on my maiden delivery voyage as they started leaking. A trip to the local NAPA store that made hydraulic hoses (mostly for snowplows) took care of what I needed in no time. It was all standard stuff.
Nothing ever kinked during installation.
Jay, did you with 3\8? I am planning to go to my local O'Reilly's that makes the hoses on sight.

Charlie - look up "Push-lok fittings" on Google. Parker has a big presence,but they are also made by other suppliers. I really like these fittings, but be aware that although you only push the hose on you can only get it off by cutting! You must use pick-up type hose with these fittings. Here in Canada we have a hose supplier called Greenline who carries them. For oil systems, use brass fittings (they don't rust).

Is there any reason not to have unions on each end of the hose rather than on just one end as they are originally and how they come from AD?
Just a word of caution for dealing with these hoses. I had my engine out this spring. The re-install was done by a reputable shop. But I developed a strange leak after almost 500 hours that was a bit of a head scratcher. As you said, it is common for the fittings to have a flare coupling on one end and a threaded fitting on the other (the threaded goes into the lift pump). Best I could guess from my problem was that the flare was attached at some point just prior to the threaded fitting being fully seated. Thus, when the threaded end was seated the hose was twisted, creating an "unscrewing" force. The hose eventually backed out of the lift pump enough for air to enter and one day near Bella Bella, after about an hour cruising, the engine died and I found lots of fuel drained into the catch pan.

I thought that I must have sprung a leak in my fuel line. Took a long time to prime (using my electric fuel pump) and even more time to diagnose. Not fun bobbing around in Seaforth Channel. Make sure not to "wind up" those hoses when tightening the threaded fitting.

Regarding putting swivels on both ends:
The swivel pair is longer and may affect the "fit" of the hose.

Regarding putting swivels on both ends:
The swivel pair is longer and may affect the "fit" of the hose.
I did end up dropping the old hoses off to get made the same as original, swivel just on one end. When removing my old hoses, I did end up removing the oil filter mount/bracket so I can just screw the fixed end into the bottom of that then remount it then connect the other end of the hoses.

One hose had a pretty good drip/leak and when taking off one of the other hoses - the outside sheathing kind of crumbled/deteriorated so they were all due for replacement. I am glad I didn't only replace the one that was leaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom