LifePo4 battery charger recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac2

Guru
Vessel Make
Real Ships Voyager
Looking to replace my old Newmar phase three 24/240 volt battery charger with a high amp LifePo4 battery charger only.
I'm looking at the Victron Skylla-TG 24/100 230v. Anyone have any other recommendations? I want something with at least 100 amps. I have one house bank rated for 1200 amps. My Xantrex inverter/charger only puts out 60 amps. Also, would the two chargers working together get confused with the charge readings? I will try to duplicate the charge cycle, but wondering if this could be a problem.

Li-Time has a 80A LiFePo4 battery charger for under $300. I am thinking of getting it to jump my charging ability up from 125a to 205a.

Li-Time has a 80A LiFePo4 battery charger for under $300. I am thinking of getting it to jump my charging ability up from 125a to 205a.
Even if the charger was 90% efficient, wouldn't that draw about 23amps of 120v current to deliver 205amp of DC current? Folks with a 30amp AC service or 5KW genset might have a tough time keeping up with that.

Even if the charger was 90% efficient, wouldn't that draw about 23amps of 120v current to deliver 205amp of DC current? Folks with a 30amp AC service or 5KW genset might have a tough time keeping up with that.
I wasn’t recommending 205amps for anyone. I was responding to Mac2 wanting to add additional charging capability. I have a 9k genset so 23 amps isn’t much of a load for me.

Mac2 was concerned about whether two chargers would work well together and the answer is they will work together just fine.

One of the reasons I want the additional charger is to put a bigger load on my 21kw generator. Im wasting a lot of generator for a 60 amp charger.

One of the reasons I want the additional charger is to put a bigger load on my 21kw generator. Im wasting a lot of generator for a 60 amp charger.
Yeah, very true. That is a lot of generator power. I only have a 6KW generator but still have to find something for it to do while charging so it maintains a decent load. Isn't that one of the advantage of the LiPo? That the absorb current stays higher for longer? I am not sure.

Yeah, very true. That is a lot of generator power. I only have a 6KW generator but still have to find something for it to do while charging so it maintains a decent load. Isn't that one of the advantage of the LiPo? That the absorb current stays higher for longer? I am not sure.
I’m not sure how much of a difference either. All I know is that Im running my generator way to long to charge my isolated house bank. I still haven’t hooked up my solar panels and Im not getting anything from my 12v alternators. Future plan is 24v alternators to house bank and dc to dc chargers from house to start batteries.

Looking to replace my old Newmar phase three 24/240 volt battery charger with a high amp LifePo4 battery charger only.
I'm looking at the Victron Skylla-TG 24/100 230v. Anyone have any other recommendations? I want something with at least 100 amps. I have one house bank rated for 1200 amps. My Xantrex inverter/charger only puts out 60 amps. Also, would the two chargers working together get confused with the charge readings? I will try to duplicate the charge cycle, but wondering if this could be a problem.
you have 1200A 24v battery lifepo4 bank 21 kw generator
for you be ideal be 530-600A charger minimum 250A

you have 1200A 24v battery lifepo4 bank 21 kw generator
for you be ideal be 530-600A charger minimum 250A
Thank you! That gives me great perspective. I can only find chargers in the 100 amp range. I guess I’ll look at stacking chargers. I have seen chargers/inverters with higher rated chargers (I think around 200 amps). Not sure why they can’t make larger chargers, but I might go that route as well if it makes financial sense.

I’m not sure how much of a difference either. All I know is that Im running my generator way to long to charge my isolated house bank. I still haven’t hooked up my solar panels and Im not getting anything from my 12v alternators. Future plan is 24v alternators to house bank and dc to dc chargers from house to start batteries.
I am dealing with a slightly similar but different issue. I have 1000ah of usable bank. I use 650ah in a 24 hour period. My recharge time is 6 hours. I am looking at ways to increase my recharge rate. I have a 9kw genset so loading it up is not an issue. I would like to keep my genset time to 4 hours or less out of 24.

It’s not an issue when traveling as the genset burns only .5 gph and you can’t hear it if the big motors are running. It’s more of an issue at anchor. Don’t mind it running in the am when every one is running hair driers and heaters but by noon I’d like to be done with it.

When I acquired my boat it came with a Xantrax inverter/charger and 4ea 6 volt golf cart batteries. The batteries were run dry for who knows how long so I replaced them with 4ea 100aH lithium batteries. Since the Xantrex didn’t have a lithium charge profile I replaced it with a Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger and haven’t looked back. My recommendation would be to sell your Xantrex and purchase a Victron, you won’t be sorry.

When I acquired my boat it came with a Xantrax inverter/charger and 4ea 6 volt golf cart batteries. The batteries were run dry for who knows how long so I replaced them with 4ea 100aH lithium batteries. Since the Xantrex didn’t have a lithium charge profile I replaced it with a Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger and haven’t looked back. My recommendation would be to sell your Xantrex and purchase a Victron, you won’t be sorry.
I would have but my xantrex (I have two) is programmable for the LifePo4 charge profile.

FWIW. I have twin Magnum 2000w inverter chargers. 800Ah LFP. When the 8Kw GEN is running they each output 115A for 230A but usually about 30A goes to feeding the ongoing loads. When running GEN and underway another 100A via DC2DC from start batts adds to the 220. As good as it sounds the input to the house bank is not near 300A, I think the multiple charge sources derate each other. Maybe the BMS throttles the max charge it will accept. In theory the batts will accpet 400A charge.
In any event, I am satisfied running GEN 2-4 hours a day during peak use.

I had a Skylla TG on my last boat, and dual Skylla-i on the current boat. The good part is that they reliably put out 100A across all encountered ambient temps. This is in sharp contrast to the charge output from my Quattro inverter/chargers. The Skyllas also have remove voltage sense which I think is mandatory for LFP since a couple tenths of a volt is the difference between charged, and not charged.

The down side is that adjusting the voltages is a royal PITA. You need to disconnect the charger output, disconnect BOTH the pos and neg sense leads (I don't know why you also need to disconnect the neg lead, but I discovered this the hard way), then fiddle with POTS on the circuit board that only responss after you turn them a bit, which pretty much ensures they are always starting from the wrong point. But once sent up, they work well.

The TG is dumb as a stump, which may be preferable over the Skylla-i which is smart enough to be really, really stupid. The TG you can set absorb time to 0 hrs which I think is preferable for LFP - certainly way better than 4 hrs which is the lowest for the TG. The I can be monitored via CAN bus, but it can't really be controlled by a BMS.

Both, frankly, as a disappointment and I hope Victron comes out with new models soon. The up side is that very few people make a 100A 24V charger. I think Mastervolt does, but I don't trust them to get anything right at this point, and support is completely non-existant.

Thank you! That gives me great perspective. I can only find chargers in the 100 amp range. I guess I’ll look at stacking chargers. I have seen chargers/inverters with higher rated chargers (I think around 200 amps). Not sure why they can’t make larger chargers, but I might go that route as well if it makes financial sense.
victron quatro inverter but only for 230V not American split voltage.
but you have voltronic or original mppsolar stackable https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/110v-120v-low-voltage-series-2/
ask this if you know how much AC electric you need if you need for AC unit for example 9000W go with 3 stackable inverter with 300A AC charger https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/110v-120v-low-voltage-series-2/
this is little more expensive 600-800$ pcs good,warrant work little loud but also you have voltronic copy of this unit with 100 ac charger 250-300$

More: your second link was the same as your first. Also, I have the Victron MPPT controllers already, but just haven’t hooked them up yet.

I had a Skylla TG on my last boat, and dual Skylla-i on the current boat. The good part is that they reliably put out 100A across all encountered ambient temps. This is in sharp contrast to the charge output from my Quattro inverter/chargers. The Skyllas also have remove voltage sense which I think is mandatory for LFP since a couple tenths of a volt is the difference between charged, and not charged.

The down side is that adjusting the voltages is a royal PITA. You need to disconnect the charger output, disconnect BOTH the pos and neg sense leads (I don't know why you also need to disconnect the neg lead, but I discovered this the hard way), then fiddle with POTS on the circuit board that only responss after you turn them a bit, which pretty much ensures they are always starting from the wrong point. But once sent up, they work well.

The TG is dumb as a stump, which may be preferable over the Skylla-i which is smart enough to be really, really stupid. The TG you can set absorb time to 0 hrs which I think is preferable for LFP - certainly way better than 4 hrs which is the lowest for the TG. The I can be monitored via CAN bus, but it can't really be controlled by a BMS.

Both, frankly, as a disappointment and I hope Victron comes out with new models soon. The up side is that very few people make a 100A 24V charger. I think Mastervolt does, but I don't trust them to get anything right at this point, and support is completely non-existant.
Thanks. Good to know about mastervolt. I was looking at the Victron products you mentioned. Real life experience you mentioned is invaluable.

Twistedtree: “The TG you can set absorb time to 0 hrs which I think is preferable for LFP - certainly way better than 4 hrs which is the lowest for the TG.”

Which for Skylla-i ?

Twistedtree: “The TG you can set absorb time to 0 hrs which I think is preferable for LFP - certainly way better than 4 hrs which is the lowest for the TG.”

Which for Skylla-i ?
The lowest you can go with a skylla-I is 4 hrs. When controlled via Canbus by an MG energy BMS they do some hacks to improve that, but it’s still not great. The good news is that if you are just using the skyllas for more charge current when running a generator, the absorb time really doesn’t matter because as soon as the batteries are charged, or close to charged, you will turn off the generator and the skyllas will shut off anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom