Lighter subject...coffee! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RTF.. thanks it would help if I could spell caffeine... lol

I know first hand that two cups of Deathwish in the morning will raise my at rest heart rate to about 110!

:thumb::thumb:We get 10 lbs of Community Dark Roast shipped to us evry 6 weeks

All right, All right All right!! Marty, you [and others] convinced me. I'm sold on trying Community Dark Roast. Just ordered three 32 oz. sacks of French Dark Roast. Free shipping and 15% discount. Not too shabby a price. We shall soon see! If we don't like it too much - Christmas presents! :dance:

Good post Ghost .. #79
Right now my favorite Starbucks is offering Sumatra coffee for dark roast. Drank it about 10 times normally brewed but the last two times I didn't like it at all especially 3/4 through the cup. One of the last two cups was a pour-over. If the other one was too could that be the cause I didn't like them?

Coffee changes flavor as its temperature changes. A lot. You may very well just prefer the hotter flavor. A pour over may brew at the proper temp but be cooler when it gets to you. Some of the Sumatrans I've had last year were a little less acidic or bright, so after being roasted a little darker, they may come across with some good cocoa flavors and they also may well be more present when newer in the cup. That's really way beyond what I could possibly guess at a distance. Every cup is different, but I suspect temp is the big deciding factor in your case. You just need to drink them faster I think. :) could also be different bags or different grind or a million other things. Consistency is hard and really this is not Starbucks game, lots of variables.

Sorry for the tardy delay, Peter, in answering this but is a "Sparrow's fart' what you hear before the chickens wake up?:blush:

Yep, Walt, even before the fricking crows and b***dy kookaburras... :censored:

I do it the ol' fashion way, similar to a French drip but ya slowly spoon the hot water over the grounds making for an intense, dark flavored coffee. A little more trouble but worth it.View attachment 57537
attachment.php

Brother, you brought back a flood of memories with that picture! I grew up spending time on our houseboat in the Saline Swamp, with one of those pots always present on top of the wood burning cook stove! Ours had a cotton "coffee ground sack" that hung down into the dripped coffee and let it steep it as strong as you want it. Daddy used to call it a cup of "Bull Coffee", because it was so strong that you had to chop the horns off of it before you could drink it! Thanks for the memories!

I have never particularly liked Four Bucks coffee. I have thought that it tasted scorched. Pour over 100% Colombian for me please. I hear you about Ethiopian coffee. Best I ever had.

Thanks Ghost,
I'll pay attention to temp and other variables.
The bad taste on the two cups I didn't like tasted a bit "sour". And the ones I liked rather sweet .. both w dark bean flavor.

Don re consistency I'm told at Starbucks they all (the stores) use the same water. Distributing that much water seems like a daunting task so I don't know how much if any truth there is in that. They had a coffee that was great almost a year ago and I think it was Ethiopian.

greysailor,
Re the white pot w sack of grounds how did you clean the sack? As a young man in the mines in western Alaska it was well established that a good cup of coffee was brewed in a clean pot. Huge numbers of people think never washing the pot is essential for good coffee. I'm in the clean pot camp. But I don't think one could easily clean a cotton sack that had been used .. especially over and over. How did you or did you clean that sack??

Coffee changes flavor as its temperature changes. A lot. You may very well just prefer the hotter flavor. A pour over may brew at the proper temp but be cooler when it gets to you. Some of the Sumatrans I've had last year were a little less acidic or bright, so after being roasted a little darker, they may come across with some good cocoa flavors and they also may well be more present when newer in the cup. That's really way beyond what I could possibly guess at a distance. Every cup is different, but I suspect temp is the big deciding factor in your case. You just need to drink them faster I think. :) could also be different bags or different grind or a million other things. Consistency is hard and really this is not Starbucks game, lots of variables.

Yes,
Controlling the variables is dificult even w modern equipment. When I was a bull cook on the dredge in Alaska I was taught exactly how to make the coffee. Ten or 15 variables needed to be controlled .. very hard to do over a wood stove. After I'd made a few pots I asked the man that taught me how I'd know when I got it right. He promptly said "the'll stop complaining" took me two weeks or about 30 pots of coffee. They were real fussy about using only Hill's Brothers regular grind coffee. I thought how could they tell. Could'nt resist so I made a pot w MJB exactly the same way as the Hill's Brother's and the response was instant ... what the hell is this crap? Never tried that stunt again.

Re consistancy for coffee we always used river water. I had to go upstream from the dredge w 5 gallon square Hill's Brother's metal coffee cans w a yoke on my shoulders. We went ashore and came back w an old 14' flat bottomed planked row boat. We used one oar sculling from a knotch top center of the transom. You could get more men or stuff in the boat. A man amidships rowing took up half the boat.

I'll second the comment on Italian coffee. The best I've ever had.
Cannot ever get a cappuccino or espresso in the states that are as good.
Starbucks? Not even on the same planet.

greysailor,
Re the white pot w sack of grounds how did you clean the sack? As a young man in the mines in western Alaska it was well established that a good cup of coffee was brewed in a clean pot. Huge numbers of people think never washing the pot is essential for good coffee. I'm in the clean pot camp. But I don't think one could easily clean a cotton sack that had been used .. especially over and over. How did you or did you clean that sack??[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy! !! One s
ure way to get repremanded around the Greysailor compound would be to wash any coffee pot component with anything other than well water! I can taste soap in the coffee three pots afterwards! I don't recall the coffee drip sack being anything but rinsed and dried above the stove. Mom just sewed a new one occasionally.

OK thank you greysailor,
Can't imagine removing all the oils of coffee beans w just water. And any that remain will in time become rancid and not contribute anything positive to the flavor of coffee. Just my opinion of course.

For those in the french press camp, recalling a question about cleaning on the boat...

I bought a press from Oxo, Good Grips:
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cl...d=1477566326&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+french+press

One of the things I liked about it is the "catcher" for the grounds. When you're done, you live the catcher out of the press, and it has 98% of the grounds on top of it. Quick rinse with 1/2cup of water, and you're all set.

Ok,
I have to make a confession, I'm a coffee "princess" (my wife's label for me...).
I love good coffee but it has to be right!
We've used French press coffee makers, pour over types, Keurig machines, percolators and even a Mr Coffee . All have their positive attributes.
In the end we have settled on one of these...Brewers for home-use - Technivorm

We actually use a small one that does one cup at a time (always fresh) that is currently not offered for sale but the coffee is always amazing! Correct temperature and consistent pour rate make for really good coffee. At home we grind our own beans, typically a medium dark blend from a local roaster. When on the road in our Airstream or when cruising, we sample local roasters coffees where ever we happen to be.

Any day that begins with good black coffee has great potential!

Bruce

So how about this to wake you up in the morning!

There's now a coffee in Australia so strong it comes with a health warning

The Asskicker ice coffee served at Viscous Café is touted as the strongest in the world, and with a caffeine content over fifty times that of a regular brew, it may well be the case.

To achieve this kind of supernatural strength, the drink's inventor, Steve Benington, tells SBS that he uses a quad espresso over four coffee ice cubes that have been custom brewed for 48 hours. 120 mL of 10-day custom brewed cold drip coffee - or the equivalent of 32 shots - is then added along with four more coffee ice cubes - each equaling a bit over 2 standard shots.

Owner and barista, Steve Benington, told me that the Ass Kicker is not for enjoyment, but for a purpose: to keep the drinker going, and going, and going

Last edited:
Ok,
I have to make a confession, I'm a coffee "princess" (my wife's label for me...).
I love good coffee but it has to be right!
We've used French press coffee makers, pour over types, Keurig machines, percolators and even a Mr Coffee . All have their positive attributes.
In the end we have settled on one of these...Brewers for home-use - Technivorm

We actually use a small one that does one cup at a time (always fresh) that is currently not offered for sale but the coffee is always amazing! Correct temperature and consistent pour rate make for really good coffee. At home we grind our own beans, typically a medium dark blend from a local roaster. When on the road in our Airstream or when cruising, we sample local roasters coffees where ever we happen to be.

Any day that begins with good black coffee has great potential!

Bruce

Bruce - that's a very good point! :thumb: "... black coffee..." The roasters and/or barrister's choice!! Putting additives into a cup o' good black coffee is like seasoning a fine chef's dinner plate creation... insult if you ask me. The only coffee that I ever added any extra flavors to was an instant coffee I was forced to consume on a camping jaunt decades ago. I only added things because that instant coffee taste sucked so bad... did it to get my morning caffeine fix... I simply could not stand drinking that instant black. As I recall, it was Maxwell House freeze dried - gag me!! :facepalm:

So... anyone want to comment regarding drinking it black or adding anything.

Comment: While young [haven't consumed alcohol for over 20 yrs. now]... There is one thing I have freely and happily added upon occasion in very cold climate areas. Whiskey! Of course, to chase the chill away. lol

Know why God invented Whiskey?? - - > So the Irish would not rule the world!! That's a fact!!! :lol:

Last edited:
Bruce B,
Sounds like hot on the trail of the perfect home kitchen easy to make best coffee.
I like you're whole approach

Art,
Putting cream in coffee is like putting Ketsup on a carefully prepared steak.

Last edited:
So how about this to wake you up in the morning!

There's now a coffee in Australia so strong it comes with a health warning

The Asskicker ice coffee served at Viscous Café is touted as the strongest in the world, and with a caffeine content over fifty times that of a regular brew, it may well be the case.

To achieve this kind of supernatural strength, the drink's inventor, Steve Benington, tells SBS that he uses a quad espresso over four coffee ice cubes that have been custom brewed for 48 hours. 120 mL of 10-day custom brewed cold drip coffee - or the equivalent of 32 shots - is then added along with four more coffee ice cubes - each equaling a bit over 2 standard shots.

Owner and barista, Steve Benington, told me that the Ass Kicker is not for enjoyment, but for a purpose: to keep the drinker going, and going, and going

Speaking of very high caffeine content, a very interesting study just completed on Red Bull and Alcohol. Now, this isn't saying it's bad separate, but Red Bull and alcohol as a combination create the same impact in your brain that cocaine does.

Speaking of very high caffeine content, a very interesting study just completed on Red Bull and Alcohol. Now, this isn't saying it's bad separate, but Red Bull and alcohol as a combination create the same impact in your brain that cocaine does.

Never done either...
No interest somehow. I do like a Manhattan now and then and I do love caffeine. That is enough for me to manage.
Bruce

For Christmas my wife received a Breville coffee maker that will grind and brew fantastic coffee. From a cup to an entire carafe. The carafe stays warm for over 12 hours. So far, it's the best we've done on board. It has a clock so setting it the night before serves as a wake up call when the grinder starts.

Bruce B,
Sounds like hot on the trail of the perfect home kitchen easy to make best coffee.
I like you're whole approach

Art,
Putting cream in coffee is like putting Ketsup on a carefully prepared steak.

The best coffee is the coffee one likes, prepared the way one likes. My preference is Cafe Duran from Panama no longer available online.

Wifey B: Guess then you wouldn't approve of the Cafe Caramel, Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Cocoa, or the Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed Donut, or Classic Cinnamon Roll K-pods? Or the Diet Peach Iced Tea? :lol:

For Christmas my wife received a Breville coffee maker that will grind and brew fantastic coffee. From a cup to an entire carafe. The carafe stays warm for over 12 hours. So far, it's the best we've done on board. It has a clock so setting it the night before serves as a wake up call when the grinder starts.

Sounds good,
We have a Cruisinart at home and usually use Starbucks coffee in it.
On the boat we just drink tea. I can only drink one maybe two cups of coffee a day but quite a few cups of green tea and one or two cups of black tea. At anchor we mostly read books and drink tea. You're Breville is probably AC right? So if we started making coffee onboard it would most likely be Melita style (pourover)
We just moved to B float in the So Hbr. B8

Wifey B: Guess then you wouldn't approve of the Cafe Caramel, Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Cocoa, or the Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed Donut, or Classic Cinnamon Roll K-pods? Or the Diet Peach Iced Tea? :lol:

I approve of many things! :D :dance:

Not necessarily having to do with coffee!! :thumb:

Last edited:
It is ac. We do though have two percolators from the 1960 era on board in case problems develop with the coffee maker. I know your boat nomad. Very nice.

I use a Toddy coffee maker. Probably the same thing as the OP. Put a pound of ground coffee in, add cold water, let it sit 18 hours, drain the concentrate, then you have instant coffee for a week or so.

The theory is that the cold water leaches out the flavors of the beans, but leaves behind the acids, which require a higher temperature to dissolve.

I believe it. I believe I can taste the less acidic result.

I use only Illy beans (old time Italian). A friend works for Illy and claims that most other producers (including Starbucks) over roast their beans to get "stronger" coffee. All they really accomplish is higher acidity and harshness (really, a burned flavor).

I long for the wonderful coffee you get in an Italian coffee shop, where they roast their own beans in the back.

Stop it. Now. I just got transported back to Tim Hortons. A real danger zone.

Back
Top Bottom