Liquid for deck repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
I guess am getting old, but not too long ago there was a topic about deck repair of the GRP below the teak deck. I remember that the GRP needed to be stripped down to the rotten planks of the GRP hull, let that dry and then add a liquid.
That liquid would saturate the rotten wood and become rock solid hard. After that it needs to be sanded, a few layers of epoxy raisin and then the teak can be re-installed.
Problem is that I have forgotten the name of the liquid and here in Europe nobody has a clue what I am talking about. Does anyone know the name of this product and since I cannot find it in Europe I will have to order it in the US, so if you know where I can order it I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 99.png
    99.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 313
Greetings,
It seems that the wood "stabilizing" products are all epoxies of some sort. I have used Git Rot with success but couldn't see paying the price for many volumes needed for a large area.

Has anyone done a cost comparison of these products vs a thinned/diluted main stream epoxy (West System, for example)?

Perhaps Mr. M can find a European source for reasonably priced epoxy. One problem may be finding a diluent that will not effect the end product. Acetone is great for polyester resins but I have no idea if acetone would work for epoxy.

I use table vinegar for cleaning up epoxy (paint brushes, tools etc.) but I think this actually denatures the epoxy where by it wouldn't polymerize.

The problem with "thinning" Epoxy resin is that is still catalyzes in its own time rather that the 24-hour cure time of something like my all-time favorite, Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. Longer cure equals deeper penetration. I remember the ad they used to have showing a continuous application of CPES to the end grain of a 4X4 maybe several feet long. At some point, maybe an hour or two, the CPES showed up at the other end. Can't do that with thinned regular cure Epoxy.

Smith and Company makes a penetrating epoxy that works well. Total Boat from Jamestown too.

I guess am getting old, but not too long ago there was a topic about deck repair of the GRP below the teak deck. I remember that the GRP needed to be stripped down to the rotten planks of the GRP hull, let that dry and then add a liquid.
That liquid would saturate the rotten wood and become rock solid hard. After that it needs to be sanded, a few layers of epoxy raisin and then the teak can be re-installed.
Problem is that I have forgotten the name of the liquid and here in Europe nobody has a clue what I am talking about. Does anyone know the name of this product and since I cannot find it in Europe I will have to order it in the US, so if you know where I can order it I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Hi Mambo

A product which would be available in Europe is International Paints Everdure, a penetrating epoxy primer, sealer designed to harden soft timber and protect it from future moisture ingress

Thanks for all the tips, will go and ask around if I can get any of these products here. I am going to need quite a lot, have about 2 - 3 m2 to re-inforce, deck feels kind of soft there.

https://epoxyproducts.com/
This man has very good products and a crazy website. I've used the low-v and it should do the trick. Of course shipping/import is the wild card.

https://epoxyproducts.com/
This man has very good products and a crazy website. I've used the low-v and it should do the trick. Of course shipping/import is the wild card.

Took a look at the site and it is indeed a crazy website, did not spend a lot of money on that, real old style, but I like that, means he is wise with his money. :)

Will give him a call today and see what he has to offer. Shipping is not the problem, also have a shipment from American Diesel coming up in the next few months, so maybe can combine it.
Thanks for the tip

Lots of products will do the job. Easiest and cheapest might just be fiberglass resin. Do it in layers so the heat doesn't build up too much.

Don't reinstall teak. Find something you like better or you will be in there again some time.

pete

Inject a deck

There is a product called Inject a Deck. It is made specifically for wet/soft spots. It is an expandable, 2 part product that is pretty cool.

Wood Hardner

Thanks.

Wood Hardner should be easy to source.
I've used it before and it works. you can also reinforce old wood or metal with Carbon Fibre sheets. just use it safely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom