Lithium charge profiles: 4 great videos that helped me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
There is a ton of conflicting information surrounding charging Lifepo4 batts. I prefer to find testing that have good explanations attached. Even then there are many facets to charging Lifepo4 batts.

Some of those facets are:

*Max charge voltage
*Absorption time
*Floating
*Actual capacity VS differences in charge voltage
*Balancing with voltages less than what the manufacturer states for upper charge voltage
*Time to target voltage at various charge voltages ( at constant current)

I have read and participated in some of the discussions here and am still gathering data to hopefully form an accurate picture. I have watched hundreds of videos and read many sources, but these 4 videos had very good testing and provided a much greater understanding of charging. Certainly there are best practices, but these videos seem to indicate Lifepo4 is much more forgiving and flexible than some of the urban legends would have you believe and there is no good reason to push your Lifepo4 batts with higher charge voltages.

Anyways I am going to link these videos here just as a resource and for discussion. I am not associated with any of these.

Thank you for the references Allen.

These are hugely informative videos.

I learned a lot from these. The Off-grid Garage videos are particularly helpful.

I am anticipating installation of LiFePO4 in my boat's house bank and am gob-smacked at the complexity of the many considerations in planning the revisions to wiring, monitoring, charging and discharge. Optimizing everything is not simple but understanding the underlying behaviour of the LFP cells seems critical.

Thanks.

-Evan

Thank you for the references Allen.

These are hugely informative videos.

I learned a lot from these. The Off-grid Garage videos are particularly helpful.

I am anticipating installation of LiFePO4 in my boat's house bank and am gob-smacked at the complexity of the many considerations in planning the revisions to wiring, monitoring, charging and discharge. Optimizing everything is not simple but understanding the underlying behaviour of the LFP cells seems critical.

Thanks.

-Evan

It really is an undertaking when coupling to a Victron system. But once you have the basics it will start to make much more sense.

Off Grid Garage is fantastic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom