LiTime 12v 230ah LFP $469

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I am expanding my small battery backup system and purchased a no-frille LiTime 12v 230ah (200A BMS) LFP battery off Amazon for $469. That's almost 3kwh of storage.

I also ordered two additional Newpowa 100w solar panels for $55/ea (Amazon had a $46 discount off the two-pack)

I already have an MPPT controller and a 2000w inverter. But for a bit over $1000, a very robust solar backup system is now possible. For comparison a portable solar generator of similar specs would be close to $3500, albeit in a tidy form factor.

Stuff is getting pretty dang cheap.....

Peter

I am expanding my small battery backup system and purchased a no-frille LiTime 12v 230ah (200A BMS) LFP battery off Amazon for $469. That's almost 3kwh of storage.

I also ordered two additional Newpowa 100w solar panels for $55/ea (Amazon had a $46 discount off the two-pack)

I already have an MPPT controller and a 2000w inverter. But for a bit over $1000, a very robust solar backup system is now possible. For comparison a portable solar generator of similar specs would be close to $3500, albeit in a tidy form factor.

Stuff is getting pretty dang cheap.....

Peter
I have been seeing signs again of another shift down in pricing.

The Yacht Riggers in St Pete are at the Annapolis Boat show. They just posted a 25% off all Epoch batteries special.

Six weeks ago I bought a Chins (similar to Litime) 48 volt 100ah battery for my electric Zero turn for $ 794. It works great BTW.

Litime has been pushing prices down big time as well.

In addition, for the fancier batteries...it looks like next gen tech will be hitting markets soon. I know Epoch has a 24 and 48 volt Marine battery with more refinements. The new 300ah dual purpose house/start with excellent comms just came out and with the 25% off are just over $1000.

Like you Peter, I am eyeballing some kind of cheaper , but very capable back up system that integrates the grid, solar, storage and generator. If I can offset some grid costs even better. Next Hurricane I dont want to notice any interruption...lol.

The fully integrated grid tied systems with battery backup are still very expensive. At our place in Mexico, we have a grid-tie solar system that makes us net-zero even with AC but doesn't have battery backup so when the power goes out, we're dead in the water like everyone else (there is a safety disconnect to prevent energizing the grid and risk electrocuting linemen). We installed that 7-years ago for a cost of $8k USD plus the cost of the pergola it sits stop. Mexicos infrastructure is a bit more fragile so outages are common. We recently considered battery backup but those costs are still quite high - a fairly basic system with 5kwh battery was about $8k USD. What we really need is enough power to run the fridge and a fan for 6-8 hours so a small solar generator is in our future. Costco has Ecoflow 1800w with 1kwh battery for around $700. I don't think 1kwh will serve for longer than a few hours, but it's better than nothing and you can't beat the compact form factor.

If I were a bit younger (I'm 63) and a bit more settled in one place, I'd go off-grid. At our 2-bed/2-1/2 bath condo in Mexico, we use around 14kwh/day in the middle of summer with AC set at moderate setting. 30kwh of battery bank should be plenty for normal living - about $6k USD for batteries. For around $10k, can build a fairly robust off grid system as long as you shop the stuff

I can tell you that even having the tiny system I outlined above has been great. Being able to charge phones, charge cordless power tools, and run a small fridge has been a luxury. A friend has spent hours in gas lines to keep his generator running.

Solar continues to facinate me. I don't know why more people don't use it. It's easy, reliable, and cheap.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom