Locks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Figment

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRITON
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
This new-to-me boat came with no keys.

Might this missing deadbolt have been an original GB item (replaceable?) or was it more likely aftermarket?

Attachments

• dbolt.jpg
    dbolt.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 41
Are keys or new cylinders for these Legge units still obtainable?

Attachments

• legge 1.jpg
    legge 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • legge 2.jpg
    legge 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 32
Last on the list... I assume that this aft companionway is meant to be secured with a pair of barrel-bolts, yes?

Could anyone point me to a replacement on which the screw holes are likely to align?

Attachments

• hatch1.jpg
    hatch1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 37
  • hatch2.jpg
    hatch2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
The cylinder appears to be a standard European style replaceable cylinder. You can buy them in various depths to fit your door.

post 1 does look like a standard deabolt was there at one time
post 2 Hard to tell but keyway looks like weiser. If you have any such keys see if they slide in/out easy. Then take the lockset to larger business locksmith to have it rekeyed or new keys made.
post 3 carefully measure or remove the wood block (most likely glued) and take it to the hardware store to find the bolt of your choice. Remember, over time these parts (hardware) shrink so you may not find one with the right hole pattern.

I got replacement keys for the Legge locks on our GB from Bellingham Lock & Safe in Bellingham, WA. (Generic, not Legge.) I would assume that a good locksmith in your area (CT?) would have blanks. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom