Looking for Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Panacea
Vessel Make
Oceania Sundeck 35
We are looking for advice for a dog ramp for a 100 pound dog. We need something to get him on and off the boat when anchored for dinghy trips to shore. We will have to use the side of the boat for the ramp as the access to the swim platform goes straight down. It is approximately 42” from the side to the water.

Attachments

• BDE9E5DE-5003-4A77-97A3-5CB6737BB8F1.jpg
    BDE9E5DE-5003-4A77-97A3-5CB6737BB8F1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 43
I've seen people use a lifting davit and harness on the dog.

Bi fold ramp mounted/hinged on the rear of the sundeck. Ropes/pulleys from end of ramp to hard top.

What is your aft cabin configuration? Could you install a doggie door directly to the swim platform?

pete

I've seen people use a lifting davit and harness on the dog.

Agreed. Forespar folding crane and a heavy duty canine PFD with a built-in lifting harness.

A few years ago I built a platorm and ramp to get our big lab down to the swim step and into the RIB. It worked well enough until he got too old. Now, if we could get him to tolerate it, a crane and harness would work. But I know he's too old to learn to accpet that and would likely hurt himself struggling.

The only workable option seems to be a folding stairway / ganway that stows against the rail and lowers to the RIB. But that's simply too much $$$ so we limit ourselves to cruising dock to dock for his remaining years.

Not my first choice by any means but she won''t go without him and I won't go without her. Simple as that.

Thinking this is a great business opportunity for somebody who is engineering clever, has business energy and a few start up bucks. Anything about dogs these days is marketable and on boats well you get my drift

Rick

Our boat is a sundeck with cockpit, so our 55 pound Airedale would go from the dink to the swim platform to the cockpit where I would lift him up to the sundeck. But I think he would have fit through the back window....

Pete had a good idea if the layout will accommodate a hatch from the swim platform into the aft cabin. Our last boat, a 41 President, would have allowed that. But we didn’t use a dinghy on that boat. It did have a motor crane on it for a dinghy motor but we never tried it to lift Radar.

Yes we are looking at the Davit lift and harness option,but this is my sisters dog and we have to convince her to splurge. We are also looking at the paws aboard folding ladder and using it off the side, don’t know if anyone has had experience with this setup?

I've been going through a similar thought exercise. Lifting our 55 lb poodle the almost 4 feet up/down to the dinghy isn't a good long term solution. But I'm thinking that to cover almost 4 feet vertically without a ramp so long he goes off the other side of the dinghy will involve a steep enough angle that it has to be stairs, rather than a ramp.

Ramp

We have used one of these for a decade. Did the Great Loop with a 65# dog. Ramp is rated for 220# so we used it too. I drilled holes for eye bolts at the head of the ramp for security lines. Light color is best as dogs don’t seem to like a dark ramp at night. We also rigged it for use as a swimming ramp, and got the legs that make it a table for a buffet. It folds in half and is light enough to shift around. We used it for on and off boat and between levels.
https://www.petstep.com/the-original-petstep-folding-dog-ramp/

How about a narrow ramp across the stern which could be pivoted up from the lower end and then folded up against the taffrail?

Hey, an Oceania 35 sundeck was our previous boat. You must have bought the rental from the marina up there. Glad it found a home.
We never could figure out how to get the dog off easy. It was always me manhandling her down the stern stairs. Pain in the a** when mooring. Neve fell in though!
Woff woff

We have a similar situation, 90lb dog, vertical ladder to swim platform etc. We bought accordion folding steps off of Amazon, the brand was Snagle Paw, they are light weight, fold up for storage, and it took 5 minutes to train the dog. The steps stretch from the second step on the ladder all the way in to the dinghy. It's been great. 5 steps, and it cost about $70.

I can thank my lucky stars that I have a fully grown 4 pound poodle but I am going to be trying to solve this very issue for my disabled wife in the very near future.

We have used one of these for a decade. Did the Great Loop with a 65# dog. Ramp is rated for 220# so we used it too. I drilled holes for eye bolts at the head of the ramp for security lines. Light color is best as dogs don’t seem to like a dark ramp at night. We also rigged it for use as a swimming ramp, and got the legs that make it a table for a buffet. It folds in half and is light enough to shift around. We used it for on and off boat and between levels.
https://www.petstep.com/the-original-petstep-folding-dog-ramp/

Thanks Ric, this looks like a good option!

We are looking for advice for a dog ramp for a 100 pound dog. We need something to get him on and off the boat when anchored for dinghy trips to shore. We will have to use the side of the boat for the ramp as the access to the swim platform goes straight down. It is approximately 42” from the side to the water.
i use a f ramp purchased from a petbstore. i attached some pressue treated lumber srips to addvtraction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom