Looking for an American Diesel 6N140 manual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck16

I am about to survey and possibly purchase a Trawler with a replacement Ford/Lehman 120. It's the American Diesel 140, 6N140. Does anyone have a Service Manual and or operator manual for this?

Thanks,

Chuck

You`re in luck Chuck. At the top right of the TF homepage, you will see "Library". Click it and it will take you to "Manuals", where you should find a Ford Lehman manual. It was the first when I checked.

You`re in luck Chuck. At the top right of the TF homepage, you will see "Library". Click it and it will take you to "Manuals", where you should find a Ford Lehman manual. It was the first when I checked.

Thank you for the information Bruce. I do have this manual already from the magic of the interwebs... But this copy and others I found here at TF seem to be a more clean version! Again, thanks!

That brings me to the next question; I have a 2008 ADC-140 6N140. Will that be all the same as a FL-135 Ford or 2700?

Chuck

I`ve seen enough mention of a 140 to believe it exists, I only knew of 120s(which I had) and 135s. I`m sure they are closely related, but just as there were 120/135 differences, some quite important(you shouldn`t retorque a 135 head), I`d expect differences.

Your best bet is talk direct to ADC. Email briansmithadc@aol.com. His father, the late Bob Smith, was VP of Lehman. ADC are effective successors to Lehman and very important to many TF members.

No. The 6N-140 is a different engine. It is an American Diesel, not a Lehman 120/135. As advised, contact Brian at, well, American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA. I have been there to purchase parts several times. In their office is a large poster of an American Diesel engine on the wall, the 6N-140.
Thank you for the information Bruce. I do have this manual already from the magic of the interwebs... But this copy and others I found here at TF seem to be a more clean version! Again, thanks!

That brings me to the next question; I have a 2008 ADC-140 6N140. Will that be all the same as a FL-135 Ford or 2700?

Chuck

https://everythingaboutboats.org/american-diesel-corp/

American Diesel Corp was founded in 1981 by Bob Smith, who was the former managing director of Lehman Power. Besides providing replacement parts for Lehman marinized Ford-UK Diesel engines, they produced their own marinized replacement engine packages from the last of the Non-EPA Ford 6.22L (Ford Otosan) engines similar to the Ford-Lehman Super 135’s. They were first rated at 125 hp and then later at 140 hp. American Diesel Corp can supply most of the parts required to accomplish the “Fixes” listed at Lehman Mfg Co that need to be accomplished to prevent engine damage. The americandieselcorp.com website has recently been updated with new features including Parts Lists, Parts Order Form, and Contact Form.

[FONT=&quot]I am an old boat mechanic that had moved on to different things. One of my coworker’s son purchased a boat in Channel Islands Harbor California. I am attempting to help him out. The boat has twin 6N140s. Evidently, while exercising the engines in the slip after idling in gear for 10 minutes one engine quit and now will crank but will not fire. I was hoping to locate a manual for this engine before I go visit the boat on Saturday. I suspect the fuel system has an air leak or dirty filters. Any help would be appreciated.[/FONT]

I went to American Diesel Corp last week and spoke with Brian(The owner) His father worked for Lehman in New Jersey and was responsible for marinizing the English Ford diesel engine to work on a boat. There were a few companies that did this and Lehman was just one of them.

When Bob Smith retired from Lehman he moved to Kilmarnock, VA and opened American Diesel Corp (1981). He knew he could make great improvements over the standard Lehman and he did.

The new engines were shipped from England to Virginia and Bob marinated them with eleven upgrades over the Lehmans. Once he was finished the motors were shipped directly to Taiwan to be installed in the new trawler. The trawler was then finished and shipped back to the USA

If you were fortunate ones and your trawler was built with an American Diesel instead of the Lehman you are very lucky!

The upgrades included:

1 Jabsco gear driven water pumps
2 30 degree exhaust elbow
3 Better adjustable engine mounts
4 Upgraded expansion tank
5 Better heat exchanger with zinc pencil anode
6 Improved lube oil system
7 Better Motorola alternator 55 amp
8 Starter solenoid with booster relay
9 Electric stop
10 Clutch connection kit
11 Stainless steel Air Intake Box