Low amperage connections: Bus Bar or daisy chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I have a situation where I need to supply DC power to some gauges (gauge lighting, power to volt meter), and wonder is it acceptable to "daisy chain" these together (positive to positive, ground to ground) with suitable gauge wiring? Or do I need a bus bar? In this situation, it would be cleaner and require less wire to do the daisy chain method. I'm pretty certain that the total amperage of the circuit would be well less than an amp. Over current protection provided at the beginning of the circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

If it is a cleaner installation, then Daisy chain.

David

I have no idea what abyc says about that (nor do I care), but many / most diesel engine gauge panels are wired daisy chain fashion, including my John Deere panel.

Ted

Thanks guys. Those are my thoughts as well, but am uncertain if this is to ABYC. I can’t see there being a problem if over current is in place at the beginning of the circuit. It sure would be easier, and involve less wiring.

Jim

Agreed. Northern Lights, CAT, and John Deere panels are also wired daisy chain.

Jim

Daisy chain is fine.

Just use a large enough wire for all of the draws, I always go at least one size larger than required.

Daisy chain is standard it seems. But it is also the cause of gauges not reading well due to a weak connection along the daisy chain.

BTW I agree with OC Diver and also do not care what abyc says unless they agree with me;)

Thanks for your help everyone. I will be using the same gauge wire as used in the Northern Lights wiring harness, AWG 14, if that is sufficient.

Jim

Thanks for your help everyone. I will be using the same gauge wire as used in the Northern Lights wiring harness, AWG 14, if that is sufficient.

Jim

That should be more than sufficient. When you're done and have incorporated a fuse holder before the gauges, use a multi meter to measure the amps by putting the probes where the fuse would be. Whenever possible, I like to fuse maybe 25% over what the load is.

Ted

We then I will be different. Always use a BUSS BAR.

Thanks all and sorry for the belated reply. Just to confirm: I'm only going to fuse the positive red coming from the wiring harness. My marine electrician said another fuse on this wire is fine, but he said it would be fused at the genny as well, if he recalled correctly. I understand that the "current" from the senders to the gauges would be very low amperage as the gauges are only "interpreting" impedance. In other words the gauges are essentially ohmmeters. Is this correct?

Jim

Last edited:
Yeah, the light in the gauge will use more current than the meter will.

Back
Top Bottom