Maerin is sold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maerin

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Make
Solo 4303
Time to move on. After cruising over 50,000 nm since 2008, we've swallowed the anchor. It was time. We're now full-time on our land yacht, a 40' Tiffin Phaeton we purchased in 2019.

Maerin was sold to a private buyer after a 7 month travail that started with discovery of delamination related to a 2008 allision that was repaired but caused undiscovered stress fractures in hawse pipe penetrations. Subsequent surveys did not find the condition, but the buyer's surveyor DID. A very bad stroke of chance, as we were completely blindsided by the revelation. An insurance claim with Markel was denied after they dallied for 7 months before submitting the disclaim letter. A maritime attorney reviewed the case and determined it would be costly and time consuming and our chances of prevailing were poor. We signed a release in the 2008 claim. So we took our lumps and parted with our beloved boat under terribly stressful conditions. Time to move on.

We've relocated our base of operations to a suburb of Dallas, and will have a permanent RV pad at our daughter's 14 acre home. We're looking forward to seeing parts of the US that aren't so accessible by water, and although we'll miss the cruising life and friends we've made over the years, we've never regretted choosing the cruising life. My advice to anyone who's considering it, is simple: DO IT. NOW!!!

We quit our jobs and I shut down my business in 2008 with a great deal of trepidation, not knowing what might come. Sold the house, cars. We were financially OK, but we needed to budget. We lived within our means and managed to see so much and meet so many wonderful folks. We've NEVER had a second's regret in making that choice. One piece of advice: don't pay to store your "stuff". Get rid of it or give it away. $10K in storage fees goes a long way to replacing stuff that you think you can't replace!

Perhaps we'll see some of you when we get near the coast, ya' just never know!

Cheers!

Steve & Barb Sipe
Molly & Joey

Solo 4303 "Maerin" (Sold)

Attachments

• _DSC0553.jpg
    _DSC0553.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 73
Boy that's a beautiful boat. Good memories I hope, despite the sales ordeal. Best wishes for a happy next chapter.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Enjoy this new chapter in your lives. Thanks for all your valuable contributions to TF.

iu

I am sure it is sad to give up such a beautiful boat, but enjoy the motorhome. Good luck.

Steve and Barb, Good luck on the next phase of your travels!!!
We sold our boat earlier this year, so have some idea what you are going through (although our sale was under different circumstances) :)
Again, enjoy your motorhome.
Tom

Steve
Great advice.
Enjoy the Phaeton and road trips.
Have you joined iRV2 (SK sister site similar to TF for RVers)?
Bacchus was taken over there so Im known as Winemaker2

Time to move on. After cruising over 50,000 nm since 2008, we've swallowed the anchor. It was time. We're now full-time on our land yacht, a 40' Tiffin Phaeton we purchased in 2019.

Maerin was sold to a private buyer after a 7 month travail that started with discovery of delamination related to a 2008 allision that was repaired but caused undiscovered stress fractures in hawse pipe penetrations. Subsequent surveys did not find the condition, but the buyer's surveyor DID. A very bad stroke of chance, as we were completely blindsided by the revelation. An insurance claim with Markel was denied after they dallied for 7 months before submitting the disclaim letter. A maritime attorney reviewed the case and determined it would be costly and time consuming and our chances of prevailing were poor. We signed a release in the 2008 claim. So we took our lumps and parted with our beloved boat under terribly stressful conditions. Time to move on.

We've relocated our base of operations to a suburb of Dallas, and will have a permanent RV pad at our daughter's 14 acre home. We're looking forward to seeing parts of the US that aren't so accessible by water, and although we'll miss the cruising life and friends we've made over the years, we've never regretted choosing the cruising life. My advice to anyone who's considering it, is simple: DO IT. NOW!!!

We quit our jobs and I shut down my business in 2008 with a great deal of trepidation, not knowing what might come. Sold the house, cars. We were financially OK, but we needed to budget. We lived within our means and managed to see so much and meet so many wonderful folks. We've NEVER had a second's regret in making that choice. One piece of advice: don't pay to store your "stuff". Get rid of it or give it away. $10K in storage fees goes a long way to replacing stuff that you think you can't replace!

Perhaps we'll see some of you when we get near the coast, ya' just never know!

Cheers!

Steve & Barb Sipe
Molly & Joey

Solo 4303 "Maerin" (Sold)

Congrats Steve and Barb,

Glad to see that she is moving on to a new owner and everything works out for you both.

The Tiffin is an awesome coach, we sure did love ours before the boat and may be looking at another one soon ourselves.

Happy Trails!

Great travels in those years! Where’s the travel blog you mention to see your journeys?

What was the most epic spots or cruises you would recommend to someone with less time?

Steve, you have been a great source of direct assistance to me and I am sure many others here and via other fora (or forums, if it wiggles your fancy), and I am dead certain you will be missed. Thank you so much. Fair winds..... no wait, we need the old Irish farewell.

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Great travels in those years! Where’s the travel blog you mention to see your journeys?

What was the most epic spots or cruises you would recommend to someone with less time?

Blog is at Maerin.net

Cruise of a lifetime has got to be the "Down East Loop". Up the Hudson in mid-late June, back in mid Sept. I know, the "less time" parameter isn't met. Figure a way to spend "more time"!

Our most memorable experiences were those that took us outside our "comfort zone". Overnights, long runs at sea, speaking French, fixing the boat in exotic places, making lifelong friends! Lemme recall my most memorable experiences at work..... ummm.....

Steve, you have been a great source of direct assistance to me and I am sure many others here and via other fora (or forums, if it wiggles your fancy), and I am dead certain you will be missed. Thank you so much. Fair winds..... no wait, we need the old Irish farewell.

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Thanks for the kind words!

Steve

Wifey B: Seems a very common life path is sail to trawl to roll. :)

I applaud you and others who do decide it's time to take a different path. As much as you have no regrets on your cruising, I'm sure you'll have none on your RV'ing either. Best of luck. :D

The sailor's progression: sailboat, trawler, RV, hearse. Delay the last one as long as possible!!!

Or stated another way:

Sailboat, motorboat, motorhome, resthome.

Back
Top Bottom