Magic Marine Tow ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

I came across this towing system for jet skis and even dinghy’s and was wondering if anyone here has one or used one. All the vids by the company have comments turned off.

From the vids they look like they work fairly well, just can’t seem to find any reviews on them from users.

Thanks

Have seen people use a mooring whip to the same effect.

I know zip diddlysquat about towing PWCs, but my neighbor who owns one told me that you can sink one by towing unless certain precautions are taken, at least his is that way. Any help here on educating me?

I know zip diddlysquat about towing PWCs, but my neighbor who owns one told me that you can sink one by towing unless certain precautions are taken, at least his is that way. Any help here on educating me?

True...well at least some PWCs.

For towing, the assistance tow business wrecked quite a few from what I heard during the early years of the business and PWCs..

When I was mainly in it, we put it on the owner to know if their ski had issues with towing.

A big issue with some PWCs (at least it was) was leaving them in the water for periods of time. Both for growth in the jetandcorrosion.

Some seemed to have no issues, some had valves that could be secured and some needed vice grips squeezing shut one of the cooling hoses.

My goto would be a manual or someone familiar with the model being towed.

Last edited:
Thanks, psneeld. Seems like the thing to do when encountering the odd broken down PWC is to standby for the pros to arrive making sure the occupant(s) survive ok.

One caveat -- the water intake valve must be closed and since not all PWC's come equipped, one may have to be installed. Then you have to protect against forgetting to open the valve (which provides cooling water to the engine and exhaust) before use.

I have towed mine at about 8.5 knots, about 30 yards back (staggered so they couldn't hit each other if they wanted to) without incident, but always had someone in the cockpit watching. Actually, there was one incident. Leaving the harbor, while going at my customary 6 knots (idle speed, but my boat is long enough that there is no wake, or at least less wake than most boats at 5 knots) past the sheriff's office, the Sheriff told me to slow down as my jet skis were kicking up their own pretty good wakes.

But never had them turn over or get tangled, etc. This magic thing does look like it wouldn't require a watch. Edit: I just looked at the price. $3,500 each, so $7K in total. Not worth it to me.

Last edited:
I had a water jet powered tender that I occasionally towed around when I was too lazy to pick it up and put it in the cradle. On a trip to the Bahamas I left it in the water and towed it from anchorage to anchorage. Imagine my surprise when going to town one day as I idled towards the dock, I gave it a burst of reverse and it shot forward and slammed into the dock. While under tow the reversing bucket had been worked off and was gone. ?

Back
Top Bottom