Mainship 350 transmission engage/disengage problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The boat starts fine in neutral but difficult to shift forward or reverse. I eliminated bound cables. The boat shifted fine prior to winter storage and transmission oil changed and full. The only thing that may have created the issue is right before the end of last season exhaust elbow came off and dumped saltwater that likely ran over the linkage in the annexed photo. I thought I rinsed the area but maybe that’s wishful thinking. Yesterday I created a dam around the area and put corrosion buster and this morning spray silicone and was able to move shifter forward and back but lots of resistance. Any insight other than just continuing to spray lubricant?
Thank you!
IMG_0165.jpeg

You are probably correct about the saltwater causing the problem. To isolate the restriction, remove the control cable from the fitting and try shifting the transmission lever by hand. Also exercise the shift cable with it detached to check for freedom of motion. Perhaps the saltwater bath migrated up the cable.

You are probably correct about the saltwater causing the problem. To isolate the restriction, remove the control cable from the fitting and try shifting the transmission lever by hand. Also exercise the shift cable with it detached to check for freedom of motion. Perhaps the saltwater bath migrated up the cable.
Thank you, Sax.
After multiple spraying of corrosion buster and then lubricant, the linkage returned to full range of motion and shifting smoothly at upper and lower helms. You know I will be spraying the linkage on a regular basis to avoid this occurring again.

Back
Top Bottom