Mainship 390 bridge cap leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I have noticed a drip onto my head sink when heavy rain occurs. I have examined outside and discovered a joint needing resealing which runs around what I am calling the bridge cap. This joint runs above windows on starboard and port sides and is only visible if you stand on handrails mounted onto the gunwale. It runs around the boat to a gutter like opening at the rear of each side. I am planning on replacing this dried out sealant with 3M 4000 UV product. Have others had this problem? Is this a recommend fix? The picture attaches shows the joint at the starboard aft corner. Thanks for any guidance you may have. I know you folks must be getting tired all my posts requesting your assistance, but thank you. 20200601_145507.jpeg

Personally I prefer Sika 291 to the 3M products. I used to use the 3M products but changed to Sika about 4 years ago and it just seems to perform better. In your photo, I am not sure where you are referring to. Just make sure you get it all cleaned out before recaulking it. Good luck. Keep asking questions, that is what everyone is here for. Sometimes we can help, sometimes not...

I am also considering the same thing on my 34’, I’m just wondering how to clean the old calking so the new will adhere to it and form a good seal. Mine is quite mouldy so simply scrubbing may not be good enough. Let us know how your repair goes. Thanks

Rob

Rob, I will keep you informed. Have you experienced any leaks?

The only leaks I have seen are coming out of the vents at the stern so I assume water is getting in between the cap and the top of the main cabin if that makes sense.

I am also considering the same thing on my 34’, I’m just wondering how to clean the old calking so the new will adhere to it and form a good seal. Mine is quite mouldy so simply scrubbing may not be good enough. Let us know how your repair goes. Thanks

Rob

That is always the challenge in doing new caulk. How bad is the access?

The access is not bad, just high up so I need to figure a ladder that’s will be stable enough or have the boat pulled out of the water which I would rather not do until next year.

Rob. I ordered a caulk removal tool. Search on line for "Allway GCR Grout/Caulk Removal Tool". I bought two of them and ground them down a little and rounded the tip and I'm hoping they will work quite well.

Yes something like that will be needed for sure as from what I can see it's quite a large seam and there is a lot of old calking to remove.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom