Mainship 40 Summer Kitchen propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Our 2006 Mainship 40 has an electric 240 AC jenair grill up on the aft deck area,, they called a summer kitchen, which works so so but I would like to convert to LP so don't have the run the genset and I don't like being dependent on the generator for meals.

Has anyone done this or if you already have a factory LP grill can you offer some information about it?

We do have a rail mounted magma propane grill but if the genset fails it would be nice to have a propane grill that say has a grill area and an eye burner for maybe boiling water for some spaghetti maybe ....

Thanks for your comments 20220125_173517.jpg

This can be a relatively simple project or a very complex one depending on the physical layout of the boat. Please make sure you review the ABYC recommendations for a permanent propane installation. And maybe after the install have a knowledge surveyor check it out.

I'm almost positive that electric or propane for the grill was a choice when the boat was built. So it should be possible to find out how the factory propane setup was done and replicate that.

Or just like a portable propane setup...just make it a temporary setup where the propane can be disconnected and stored properly and don't worry about the ABYC recommendations that can be tough for retrofitting.

Or rip out the guts and install a Blackstone. Should be easy enough to retrofit.

MS400 propane grill

Our 2006 Mainship 40 has an electric 240 AC jenair grill up on the aft deck area,, they called a summer kitchen, which works so so but I would like to convert to LP so don't have the run the genset and I don't like being dependent on the generator for meals.

Has anyone done this or if you already have a factory LP grill can you offer some information about it?

We do have a rail mounted magma propane grill but if the genset fails it would be nice to have a propane grill that say has a grill area and an eye burner for maybe boiling water for some spaghetti maybe ....

Thanks for your comments View attachment 125346

My 2004 MS400 came with a factory installed propane grill in the summer kitchen. There is a propane locker that holds 2 5lb cylinders port side. The locker also contains the electric solenoid valve to isolate the propane tanks. There is a Seeward propane control switch at the summer grill station and a breaker that feeds it power at the breaker panel in the main salon. The propane line and wiring is run thought the port side upper helm sidewall. I don’t have the model or manufacturer of the grill because I’m not at the boat.
Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

• BFA7BAC9-3BD2-4F60-9C47-9A8AC8F1CE20.jpg
    BFA7BAC9-3BD2-4F60-9C47-9A8AC8F1CE20.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Jeff, about a year ago or so, I undertook a web search to find a propane cooktop as you mention. The problem I encountered was that all the reasonably priced cooktops had control knobs in the front, not on top. Installing one of them would involve more cabinet modifications than I wanted to undertake.

If I recall, I did find a drop-in unit for about $1200 or so from Gasmate.

I ended up dropping the project as our marina owner is very touchy about have open flames at the dock, even on your boat. I figured I'd buy a Magma if I got to the point that I really needed to and wouldn't have to modify anything.

But, I would be like to hear what brand and model propane grill the MS400's originally came with. I suspect they might not make them anymore since I had no luck with my search.

Last edited:
I looked at Lowes today at small and medium size gas grills and thought...why cant I just buy a grill, remove the parts needed and transplant it to a custom made framework for the boat?.....as long as I follow the safety guidelines I should be good...

I looked at Lowes today at small and medium size gas grills and thought...why cant I just buy a grill, remove the parts needed and transplant it to a custom made framework for the boat?.....as long as I follow the safety guidelines I should be good...

No reason not to do that. Your existing structure is just a housing that can be modified.

I have 2004 MS 400 with original factory propane grill. It’s a force 10 model. No longer being built. I looked high and low for a replacement just to replace it as it was 15+ years old but still works and can’t find anything table grill wise that is not electric and also even that size.
Suggest you get a portable gas grill and install a larger portable bottle with adapter hose for longer term cruising. That or put in an inverter that can run the electric grill at anchor. No easy solution.

We bought a butane portable stove from Costco last fall. $15.00. Very impressed with the quality. The butane cylinders last for a couple of meals. Can be used on or off the boat. Here is a picture of it from Defender as i can't find on Costco site, but they still had them last week.
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276204|2276205|2276214&id=4700992
It is another fuel to manage and should be used with safety in mind, but might solve your problem. We use it for making tea so no generator needed.

If you are using the small propane or butane cylinders, just make sure that where you store them will not allow gas leaks to get into the boat. Since they typically are not stored in a proper propane locker if they leak the gas might be able to enter the boat and most diesel boats do not have all of the electrical devices that are ignition protected like a gas boat.

Thanks Dave for the heads up. We are very, very careful. Cylinder is removed after each use and stored in an outside, upper deck, vented, locker. No boom on my boat!

Thanks Dave for the heads up. We are very, very careful. Cylinder is removed after each use and stored in an outside, upper deck, vented, locker. No boom on my boat!

When I used to do Vessel Safety Checks it always amazed me that people would store the 1 pound propane cylinders below decks. I would explain why it was not a good idea but some of them didn’t seem to comprehend it.

When I used to do Vessel Safety Checks it always amazed me that people would store the 1 pound propane cylinders below decks. I would explain why it was not a good idea but some of them didn’t seem to comprehend it.

I used to do that, but then thought about it and realized how dumb it was. I keep them in an airtight, sealed dry bag under one of the vented FB seats now. There are wires running through the locker, so not perfect, but no terminals, switches etc. Kinda crazy, but I don't have a single on deck locker that doesn't have some sort of wiring in it.

I used to do that, but then thought about it and realized how dumb it was. I keep them in an airtight, sealed dry bag under one of the vented FB seats now. There are wires running through the locker, so not perfect, but no terminals, switches etc. Kinda crazy, but I don't have a single on deck locker that doesn't have some sort of wiring in it.

Ideally it would be a proper propane locker but yours is much better than below. Particularly with the 1 pound cylinders, how great a valve can there be on a $4 cylinder? Especially after it has been installed a couple of times…

If you value your boat and your life, I suggest following all of the ABYC propane installation requirements. All of them.

Depending on your skills and ability to understand the ABYC requirements, you may be able to do this yourself. Or, to be sure, have it done by an ABYC certified pro.

I have a propane range on my boat and love it, but I also have a factory installed, ABYC compliant propane system.

My 2004 MS400 came with a factory installed propane grill in the summer kitchen. There is a propane locker that holds 2 5lb cylinders port side. The locker also contains the electric solenoid valve to isolate the propane tanks. There is a Seeward propane control switch at the summer grill station and a breaker that feeds it power at the breaker panel in the main salon. The propane line and wiring is run thought the port side upper helm sidewall. I don’t have the model or manufacturer of the grill because I’m not at the boat.
Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

-----------------------------

Capt Mike-

Does that port side Propane locker just vent over the side? Or how is that done?

Has it ever been surveyed?

I have a 2001 390 and trying to site my locker on the flybridge. Have not found a solid survey-approved vent solution for up there.

--Kevin

Ideally it would be a proper propane locker but yours is much better than below. Particularly with the 1 pound cylinders, how great a valve can there be on a $4 cylinder? Especially after it has been installed a couple of times…

Agreed, still not perfect and I'm not a fan of the one pounders, they leak, rust, are expensive and not eco friendly.

Just out of curiosity, how much propane would it take to cause a serious explosion on a 40' boat? How much damage would one pound do, assuming the entire canister leaked out into the bilge or wherever? I'm in no way making light of the risk, I'm just wondering.

Agreed, still not perfect and I'm not a fan of the one pounders, they leak, rust, are expensive and not eco friendly.

Just out of curiosity, how much propane would it take to cause a serious explosion on a 40' boat? How much damage would one pound do, assuming the entire canister leaked out into the bilge or wherever? I'm in no way making light of the risk, I'm just wondering.

I think that would be more than enough to blow up the boat. However I don’t want to test that theory.

For reference:

Very interesting and chilling. I didn't catch how much propane they used, since they don't speak English (just kidding) it was hard to discern. I THINK I caught what looked like two one pound canisters.

Propane locker

-----------------------------

Capt Mike-

Does that port side Propane locker just vent over the side? Or how is that done?

Has it ever been surveyed?

I have a 2001 390 and trying to site my locker on the flybridge. Have not found a solid survey-approved vent solution for up there.

--Kevin

Yes, it just vents to atmosphere, nothing special. The boat was surveyed 3 years ago when I bought her, if that is what you mean. The surveyor did not point out any problems with the installation. As I indicated earlier it was factory installed and compliant with regulations at the time.
Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom