Mainship 400 new window covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailorskip

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blooper
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400T
It's time to replace the forward window covers on the boat. They are for the 3 foreward windows, the two foreward windows on each side and the starboard door next to the helm. The current covers are made of textilene, which I like. Has anyone replaced them recently? About what did it cost.

Thanks...
Skip

I made them myself with Pfifertex from Sailrite using the old ones as patterns. I don’t really know how to sew but I borrowed a standard sewing machine and it was a good winter project. Pretty easy.

There is 80% & 90% sun reduction. Get the 90, 80 is like bug screen but heavier

I have made window covers out of Sunbrella, Pfifertex and Stamoid. It depends on whar you want the cover to do. For sunscreen the Pfifertex works well. For waterproof then Stamoid is the way to go. Sunbrella is nice but it is woven so it does tend to trap dirt more than Stamoid which is smooth.

Stamoid light is textured on the back. For a little more $ get the HD which is smooth , wipes right off.

I did a little shopping with local canvas shops. First quote was almost $1400. Second was $600, which I thought was more in the ballpark.

As a former sailmaker, I'm aware of the various materials. I want a mesh product and textilene holds up better to the UV here in Florida than phiphertex.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom