Mainship Pilot 30 cabin Heat options after hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainship Pilot

Vessel Name
Eagle
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot II, Prior vessel 43’ Bluesea
Looking for some ideas, My Pilot 30 does not have a perm Generator, but they have to be turned off by 10pm- 7am in the mooring field at Catalina Island here in So Cal. Looking for a good, safe, hopefully cheap way to keep the cabin warm at night while sleeping this fall/winter. I’ve heRs some folks use the Propane Heater Buddy, with tip over safety switch. Oxygen consumption, moisture and CO2 a concern. This is interesting…. . Rising heat causes fan to run without power application.
Also this diesel heater, which is self contained, however, you need to exhaust out a porthole window.
Anyone out there have any success using minimal power, to produce heat in a small contained salon safely?

Do you want to heat the whole salon or just be warmer while sleeping? You could consider just a bunk warmer.

Probably the safest although not the cheapest is a diesel fueled truck heat such as the Espar. The Chinese make a knock off that may or may not be as good for 1/3 the price.

David

Minimal power? What’s your threshold for that? The vevor heater you linked will probably be more of a power hog than you want. Forced air heaters draw more than a refrigerator typically. A small bulkhead heater would be a better choice for low power draw. As a plus, you’d get a nice flame to look at and it would dry the interior of the boat.

Do you want to heat the whole salon or just be warmer while sleeping? You could consider just a bunk warmer.
Charlie, The goal would be to have a warm cabin, the blanket is a back up plan if I can’t find a decent solution, however, those 12v blankets are mostly 60” x 36”, with 2 of us, and me being 6’4”, that’s not gonna work. Other option is an AC blanket, using the inverter, which is another power hog, but will test it. Thanks

Probably the safest although not the cheapest is a diesel fueled truck heat such as the Espar. The Chinese make a knock off that may or may not be as good for 1/3 the price.

David
I’ll check it out, Thanks

Minimal power? What’s your threshold for that? The vevor heater you linked will probably be more of a power hog than you want. Forced air heaters draw more than a refrigerator typically. A small bulkhead heater would be a better choice for low power draw. As a plus, you’d get a nice flame to look at and it would dry the interior of the boat.
You’re probably right, can you give me an example of what a small bulkhead heater is?

Anyone use on of these? Thinking I could get the XL propane canister to hopefully last thru the night. Tip over switch built in, I’ve heard of some boaters using these, curious of ant first hand experience?

My house is 2 T165 Trojan 6Vs. Fridge draws 2-3 AHs.

I used a similar one to heat up t...e combustion gasses stay in the cabin. David
Thanks David, I would assume those that use it open a porthole window for that reason. Plumbing to the stove propane source would be a good idea.

Anyone use on of these? Thinking I could get the XL propane canister to hopefully last thru the night. Tip over switch built in, I’ve heard of some boaters using these, curious of ant first hand experience?
They also produce quite a bit of moisture not being vented to the exterior.

They also produce quite a bit of moisture not being vented to the exterior.
Yea Charlie, That was brought up to me on a side conversation by rgano, a big consideration, Thanks!

You have a big heat sink in your engine. Would a car heater core, muffin fan & a small circ pump do it ? I have a spot under step to V berth, perfect. Same height as engine, no air lock worry, no eng fumes, no CO. Bring eng up to temp before 10pm

You have a big heat sink in your engine. Would a car heater core, muffin fan & a small circ pump do it ? I have a spot under step to V berth, perfect. Same height as engine, no air lock worry, no eng fumes, no CO. Bring eng up to temp before 10pm
Interesting, Your assuming I can stay awake until 10pm! LOL

I was thinking something like this: Newport Diesel Heater - Dickinson Marine | Fisheries Supply

If it just won’t fit, I think you’d be ok with a small forced air unit. I think wallas has the lowest amp draw, but an espar d2 might work if you just want to keep the chill off.
If it gets colder, a d4 would be best.
I never ran my espar heaters when sleeping though, just turn them on and slip back under the covers for a half hour nap. You would need to do the math on amp hour draw to be sure you can support one running overnight.
The nice thing about the diesel bulkhead heater is essentially no amp draw. They make a propane version as well.
Cons are mostly about finding a mounting location.
If you go propane, you need a dedicated line from the propane locker, never tee inside the boat.

I had a kerosine fueled radiant heater that I used to warm up our unheated sun porch on chilly mornings. It worked great, but….

If I were to forget and leave it on for a couple of hours, the room would get stuffy. Probably low O2 and some unburned hydrocarbons with a little carbon monoxide thrown in the mix.

Not what you want to sleep in overnight.

And some will say: leave a window open for ventilation. That just means you have to run the heater more.

He Newport heater referenced in the post above is a good solution. But it vents combustion gasses upwards so you need a vent stack on the roof above. That may not work for some flybridge trawlers.

David

I would never consider running a heater that didn’t vent the combustion gasses outside the boat. Too many drawbacks and safety concerns.

I would never consider running a heater that didn’t vent the combustion gasses outside the boat. Too many drawbacks and safety concerns.
OK, That Newport heater is way too big, and frankly way too expensive. I’m curious why this wouldn’t work based on your thought patterns on this? It’s portable, meaning y9u can use and stow, which I like, self contained, so no fuel plumbing, which I like, you can exhaust thru the galley porthole window, and it’s cheap…..also a concern! 😎 And it can run all night on one tank,

I had a kerosine fueled radiant heater that I used to warm up our unheated sun porch on chilly mornings. It worked great, but….

If I were to forget and leave it on for a couple of hours, the room would get stuffy. Probably low O2 and some unburned hydrocarbons with a little carbon monoxide thrown in the mix.

Not what you want to sleep in overnight.

And some will say: leave a window open for ventilation. That just means you have to run the heater more.

He Newport heater referenced in the post above is a good solution. But it vents combustion gasses upwards so you need a vent stack on the roof above. That may not work for some flybridge trawlers.

David
Great info!

If the Vevor really is vented and it conveniently doesn’t show it vented in any of the application pics, it might be a good low cost solution.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom