Mainship Pilot 31/34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seadweller

Veteran Member
New to the forum, but have read up on what's been posted about these boats and wanted some updated, perhaps more specific information.

Quick background, in the past I've been a multi-boat owner, with a 31' Express (twin inboards) and a smaller center console, of one brand or another, in varying sizes. Our boating needs changed around 6 years ago, so I sold everything and settled on a 22' bay boat, as it accommodated our boating needs/style until just recently. I said I'd never own another boat that had to be moored in the water again (diver, bottom jobs, etc.), so I've been looking at outboard powered expresses that will fit on our #10K lift.

The overall objective is to buy a boat that we can overnight on for 3, maybe 4 nights max. The boat would be used exclusively for fair weather, coastal cruising on the west coast of Florida. After thinking about it, I'm concerned that by going to a single, bigger boat, we'll miss the bay boat for a lot of the boating we do (quick runs to a sandbar, waterfront restaurants with limited space, fishing the flats, etc).

We've always loved the downeast style boats (Hinkley, MJM, East Bay, Sabre, etc.), and recently saw what turned out to be a Mainship Pilot 31 hard top that really caught our eye, so it got me to thinking that maybe I'd keep the bay boat, and get a small, coastal cruiser. I don't want to make a Hinkley-sized investment as our use would be somewhat limited, and was surprised to see the pricing on lightly used Pilot's, both the 31 and the 34. The idea of single diesel efficiency and ease of maintenance is appealing, particularly when the boat can cruise at 14kts-16kts, which is fine for us. When we get out on the boat, I'm in no real hurry unless being chased by a thunderstorm. We're just not at a point in our lives where we can do a 6kt trawler, plus my wife is prone to sea-sickness, and a faster boat is more tolerable.

My biggest fear is handling a single inboard, as I can see myself getting down a narrow alley with wind and current, and getting in trouble. One thing I did see were Pilot's with stern and bow thrusters, which is appealing.

I've read that engine access on the twin engine version is nightmarish, and after owing a twin inboard express for 10 years, I don't want to go down that road again, both from a running cost perspective, and a maintenance perspective.

So here are my questions:

1. We love the hard top version, but I've read that they can be loud inside. Is it bad enough to warrant avoiding it?
2. Can a couple comfortably overnight on the 31 for a few evenings?
3. Are there years to avoid or seek out, and any construction issues to look for (I'd of course get any boat under consideration surveyed)?
4. Are they fairly stable at cruise, or can they get "rolly"?
5. Would bow and stern thrusters be overkill, or would they keep me out of trouble? I'd of course hope to get to a point that I wouldn't use them unless absolutely necessary, but I'd view them as training wheels.:D
6. Any idiosyncrasies I should know about in either the 31 or 34? Is one a better running hull form?
7. Is a 14kt-16kt cruise speed realistic?
8. What's the typical fuel usage at cruise speed?
9. Any other boats in this price range to consider?

Input is most appreciated, particularly from current/prior owners!

Last edited:
Cruise is realistic. @ 14kn.
Some roll , get use to it
I want all the thrusters I can have.
2 MPG easy
Doesn’t like following seas.
Overnight easy for a week if you are in love.
Sony noise canceling head sets.
A true DE is a much better boat all a round.

I think you will find that the Pilot 30/31 weighs more than 10,000 lbs.

David

My guess is that you will need to upgrade your lift.

Your needs are not that much different than ours. We originally had the Mainship Pilot on our list of possible boats.

I think we will end up buying a 2002-2007 Sea Ray Sundancer 300. Most come with twin sterndrives and get 1.2 - 1.3 mpg. A couple of reasons I think we will buy an express cruiser instead is that I find the cockpit to be more comfortable and there is a large mid-stateroom that doesn't exist on the Pilot.

I think sometimes we get hung up on mpg. However, unless one is doing a lot of long distance cruising, fuel costs are only a small part of one's annual operating expenses.

I see a lot of sterndrive boats in Florida, although they are usually kept on a lift or racked. Really opens up additional boating possibilities.

Jim

31 is fine for 2 but 34 has a lot more room and storage.
14kts w hardtop is loud - noise canceling headphones or slow down a bit and enjoy the cruise
Bow thruster is sufficient but a stern one would be a nice addition.
I heard 2000-2004/5was the ideal years but am sure folks with later versions can chime in

Ultimately we decided on 34 for more room especially when we day tripped w guests. We have had others overnight and found a queen air mattress fits perfectly between the two lounge chairs under hardtop.

Thanks a bunch for the input...Just to clarify, I'd leave my bay boat on the lift, and moor the Mainship.

I can't see wearing noise cancelling headphones, as it takes away the "sounds" of being on the water. I know my express was pretty loud at the helm, and after 6-7 hours at cruise, it would certainly wear you down. I would assume the soft top might be more forgiving.

I'd only seen these boats from afar, or in pictures, so what are you really missing by going with the soft top version?

I am posting from my experience owning a 2000 MS30 for 10 years. Both versions are solid for their price point and I would concentrate on how well they were maintained and upgraded.

1. We love the hard top version, but I've read that they can be loud inside. Is it bad enough to warrant avoiding it?

No. But both the hard top and soft top require more sound insulation in the ER. There is not complete coverage. The hatch is insulated but none in the rest of the ER. An easy winter upgrade to add Soundown insulation or other. They left one barn door open to resonate.

2. Can a couple comfortably overnight on the 31 for a few evenings?

Yes. We have done 2 weeks plus. Need to manage the holding tank and water consumption. This was no problem but required planning.

3. Are there years to avoid or seek out, and any construction issues to look for (I'd of course get any boat under consideration surveyed)?

On the MS30 I preferred the designs without a prop pocket. Just my preference. Some MS 34 models experienced cavitation. I have not heard that on the MS30.

4. Are they fairly stable at cruise, or can they get "rolly"?

Stable and not rolly.

5. Would bow and stern thrusters be overkill, or would they keep me out of trouble? I'd of course hope to get to a point that I wouldn't use them unless absolutely necessary, but I'd view them as training wheels.

Not worth the investment IMO. Easy to maneuver with the thruster. After a while you may not require the thruster using a bit of power and prop walk etc.

6. Any idiosyncrasies I should know about in either the 31 or 34? Is one a better running hull form?

I rebuilt my exhaust to increase the exhaust run height from the exhaust exit to the turbo. Lots of information on this on the sbmar.com website

7. Is a 14kt-16kt cruise speed realistic?

Yes

8. What's the typical fuel usage at cruise speed?

MS30 6bt Cummins averaged 7 gph over a typical season.

9. Any other boats in this price range to consider?

One of the reasons I bought a MS30 was resale. I sold in a day for asking price a year ago. Pretty much got what i paid for it but invested 20k + in upgrades over 10 years. That's just the price of the hobby. Jump in and enjoy.

Hope this helps- Will

When I got my DE it was 79db at the helm @ 2000 RPM cruise and Gen running. I went around and found all hot spots for sound leaks. Then I put down thick pile carpet. I’m now at 68 dB. That’s conversation level. Made a huge difference

One other consideration is airflow. Our hardtop can get hot as there are not side windows that open. We added fans and it helps but in very hot climates I could see this being an issue. We have AC not only down below. Some hardtops have side ventilation so something I consider.

Our 34 had carpet at one point likely for sound suppression but we would not do this for a variety of reasons.

Likely an add on. I believe it has been done. That said when not underway we put out the window shades remove side panels and open front window and are quite comfortable

Thanks again everyone! Regarding the hard top version, are there certain years of the 31 and/or 34 that do not have the sliding side windows? Also, is there any reason to be concerned with coring issues? I believe I had read somewhere that the hard top version was susceptible to saturated coring around the windshield, and possibly the roof hatches.

I owned a 2004 Pilot 34 Rum Runner with the hard top, twin Yanmar 240's. It had A/C in the salon as well as below. We loved the boat and only upgraded to the Pilot 430 for more extended cruising. The boat is very shallow draft, <3' which allows you to go anywhere. It was easy to handle, I took it out many days alone. Of not, the earlier mainships had aluminum rails and later models upgraded to stainless, I believe it may have been around 2002. I would buy the boat again if I ever wanted to downsize.

34 Pilot

We have a 2003 34 Pilot hard top, love the boat, had to make changes to the galley as my wife says the galley was designed by a man, installed drawers and shelves.

Have not found any problem core, the hull has foam core where I put in new larger tank vents, the transom no core where I installed a new through hull.

Earlier boats had no access to the stuffing box that I could see, mine has a hatch cover for that that also gives more storage.

The 03 has stainless rails.

Access to the engine on our single is just OK, but I find that like all boats now, not a lot of thought went into general access, like the cleats when it is time to rebed,and the stantion bases... but in general the boat is great, we cruise at 8 to 10 knots but know we can do more if necessary.

We cruise for 10 days at a time, have solar panels, and have added referig to the wet well under the bench aft.

2001 has aluminum rails. It also had a factory aft fridge, it works ok Uses a separate battery. We added a rotomold cooler w cushion against aft wall which works great and gives more seating.

Only water issue we had was swim platform which we fixed this year.

Our galley has been reconfigured by PO.

Gang, I have another question after some reading....It seems there's very little middle ground when it comes to the construction of these boats, either folks are happy with the build quality, or folks say they're atrocious. I suspect that most of the people talking down the brand have not been on one, as I see in other cases.

What's the skinny around here regarding build quality? Do the hulls flex when you rap them with a fist? Will they break in half in a 3' sea?

I'm not looking to go crab fishing in Alaska with it, but rather all of my cruising will be along the gulf coast of Florida (seas permitting), or in the intracoastal.

We have an 07 Pilot 34 with hardtop and twin engines, spent 2+ years on Tampa Bay and along the west coast of FL, and 3 years in Miami. We brought the boat over via the Okeechobee waterway. Some answers to your previous questions, the sliding side windows started in 05 or 06. Helm area has an AC, but underway the opening windshield and sliding windows provide plenty of air, except when going downwind at slow speed. It is nice to be able to leave the downswing window open even in a driving rain, as is common in FL.

I'm quite satisfied with the build quality. Here is an extensive thread answering many of the same questions

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/considering-pilot-34-purchase-51177.html

Thanks Tonic1....

What's your cruising speed with the twins, and what does your fuel efficiency look like? Is it anywhere near 2mpg? Also, how nightmarish is it access-wise, to service the twins?

I've seen a couple of singles with stern and bow thrusters, but I have to imagine those require upkeep as well, so maybe twins wouldn't be so bad.

We cruise at 15-16 knots and about 2700 rpm, with fuel burn yielding about 1.6 nmpg. If you drop down to displacement speed it jumps up over 3 nmpg. Boat doesn't like to run between 8.5 and 12 kn, plows a lot of water.

Access to the engines is doable. At 60 yo, 6'1" 190lbs I can do it, but it ain't fun. All of the routine checks can be done from the centerline (oil level, gear oil level, coolant). Once or twice a year you have to access the outboard side for oil change on starboard, and half the zincs on each side. Hardest part is getting around the front of the engine, there is actually plenty of room once you get outboard of the engine. Headroom is sparce. You either want to have someone helping you, or plan very well ahead to eliminate getting in there, then needing another tool.

The boat eats up anything ahead of the beam, but like most boats that style can roll in a quartering sea from astern. Handles the short steep chop of Tampa Bay very well. The twin handles very well, as would be expected, even without thrusters. I do not recall seeing any twins with thrusters when we were shopping, but seems like all of the single had a bow thruster.

Where in Tampa area are you? We were in Apollo Beach until 3 years ago. The reduced draft of the twin models can be handy in some area areas of the Bay.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the info....I'm across the bay in St. Petersburg, on a canal off Tampa Bay. The lower the draft, the better. I had discounted twins, but perhaps I'll put it back on the consideration list. I get nightmares thinking about trying to run an inboard single, particularly with the continuing luck, or lack thereof, that I have with slip assignments at marinas. :D

Back
Top Bottom