Marine Trader 34 Sedan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingthrob

Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Hi, I recently purchased a 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan. I am guessing this is a very rare style because I can not find any other Marine Trader Sedans besides the Europa model doing a Google search. This is not a Europa. I did find a post from 2009 regarding one for sale in RI. Is anyone familiar with this style and possibly share some pictures?

MT small pic.jpg

Hi Kingthrob
These are out there! There's a guy here who has one exactly like yours, several good threads on rebuilding the forward house. Plenty of Taiwanese Trawler guys on here. I've been enjoying and working on my MT going on 20 years, happy to help with anything you might need there isn't any piece of mine that hasn't been taken apart and rebuilt at this point.

As you've probably figured out Marine Trader, CHB, Sea Chief, Ponderosa, Hershine - all built the same as they all came from the same set of Yards in Taiwan. The different names are due to the importers, Marine Traders were imported to the East Coast, CHB's the West Coast. So a Marine Trader is a rare bird on the West Coast, but it's exactly the same boat as a CHB. Around '76 or '77 your boat is called the 32 Pilothouse even though it's built on the 34 hull thats shared with the D/C and Europa.

The hulls are bulletprooof, the drive systems are bulletproof, the house - which is a stick frame with plywood walls and fiberglass on the outside - is crap :). That being said it's easily repaired which cannot be said for a lot of modern boats.

Have fun I've enjoyed every minute of ownership with mine.

Alan

Sea Moose thanks doe the info. I had no idea it was considered a 32 Pilot House. I will have to look that up. I forget what the plaque says in the hull but I remember she was built in 1973 and Hull #65.

A little about the boat: Interior fully renovated along with cabin walls (air core) windows, stainless steel dual fuel tanks, corian counters, bow thruster, new auto-pilot, new windlass, solar, a/c, new canvass, westerbeake 8kw generator and fuel polishing system.

I just sailed her down from Virginia Beach to Washington NC last week on the ICW and she performed flawlessly. Trip took 3 days she sips fuel from what I can tell although I do not know exact consumption at the moment. Average speed was probably 6 MPH but her sweet spot is 7 MPH at 1600 RPM.
Our plans at the moment are to spend most time on the Pamlico River with trips to Bellhaven, Ocracoake and Beaufort.
Attached are some pics...I hope I did it correctly.

Attachments

• MT Boat 1.JPG
    MT Boat 1.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 67
  • MT Boat 2.jpg
    MT Boat 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 135
  • MT Interior 1.JPG
    MT Interior 1.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Mt Interior 2.JPG
    Mt Interior 2.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 45
I have a 78 exact boat I am restoring. I love your boat and mine!! I have had it a couple years and being as I am retired Army I spend ALOT of time on it. 1st boat I have ever owned and can testify it is so forgiving. I have made every mistake you can make, ran aground (several times), out of gas, 2 hurricanes, drove through a tropical storm, hit by a microburst that ripped everything off the top and have taken on water while chugging along that covered everything but the intakes on the motor. I can go on and on but I have made myself sound dumb enough. I love this thing and everyone loves to to see it making its way to the Gulf. It has become somewhat famous around here. THE FROG!!

Back
Top Bottom