Mariners Skipper Course

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jklotz

Veteran Member
I'm in a bit of a holding pattern in terms of getting our boat. Hopefully that will change soon, maybe in the coming year. In the mean time, I'll be attending trawler fest and trying to gain experience any way I can to make use of the time. I ran across this course, The Mariners Skipper Course, online. Anyone have experience with it, or Mariners Learning System in general? Would you recommend it or are there better courses out there?

I looked briefly at the link. It may be a good source of organized information. Information can transform into knowledge if you study and use the information. Knowledge isn't the same as skill, and skill isn't the same as mastery. I have no doubt that you understand that

My only quibble/caution is that they use the term "skill" a lot in their promotional material. I think that is misleading.

Their first paragraph for the Skipper course:
Hoist Your Skills to New Heights: The Mariners Skipper - Course and Certification is your comprehensive guide to mastering maritime operations, taking you from knowledgeable crew member to a safe and knowledgeable skipper.

No online course and no amount of acquired knowledge can get you to a mastery of Maritime operations. Only real experience can do that. No amount of learning can get you to a point where you are a safe Skipper.

Ages ago when I got a private pilots license I was in grad school. Rather than sitting through flight school course work, I did it via independent study monitored by my flight instructor. Studying and learning was my entire life at that point and the book learning was easy for me. That knowledge was vital. However, it didn't make me a competent pilot. Only the hours in the air with an instructor, and the hours in the air flying solo did that.

So I think course work is great and likely a great idea. Now that retirement is almost upon me, I would love to take a similar course. However, don't fall into their hype and recognize it's limitations.

The way the military used to teach people to reach a level of enviable proficiency quickly was - classroom, classroom, field, classroom, field, classroom, field, field, debrief, then operational (or close similarities like combat). Field experience is great/necessary, but usually classroom prep makes it go smoother. One without the other just slows things down.......

Then operational just proves additional classroom is usually in the cards to advance.

My impression (from their email I got
.. not exactly sure how I'm on their list) is that the Skipper's course is new. I assume they have largely adapted things from their Captain's class but that's just a guess.

My take is that learning is always good and it can be a good way to keep the brain active (another variant is "chair flying" for pilots).

Doesn't replace motor skills and experience for sure, but can be fun & useful in its own way .. at least for those of us who like studying LOL. I might do it this winter just to have a "studying" project.

I would recommend an in person class if possible. In a classroom you can ask questions and start a conversation which can elicit more information. An online class is better than nothing though.

Mariners Learning System helped me pass Master Ticket on first try.
My health is gone and I cannot manage a boat so I am giving away stuff. -

I have a "Mariners Learning System Captain in a Box" course which includes Six-Pack, Master, Towing, and Sail all in the original box with the plotting goodies and practice chart. I bought it in 2017, for $720. Great materials. Even if you don’t pass first try, do it again. Just learning the fire fighting tactics or shipbuilding stuff is interesting and helpful and worth the effort.

This is full course, in like-new condition, free to a good home - or even a bad home. All you have to do is pick it up and say hello. I live near New Haven CT and am home all the time.
I could ship it - but $$ to wrap and take to USPO and I don't get around easily.

Do it. Take the tests and get the red Merchant Marine passport book. PM me with email or SMS number.

Hey! I’m looking for some help prepping for the 6-pack license. I’d like to take you up on your offer if it’s still available.

Back
Top Bottom