mast head light, stern light, with tricolored light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
My anchor light is and old style incandescent. Not very bright and a power hog. It is mounted on top of my mast on a trawler. I seem to be able to find led tricolor light with anchor light only. Can I run both the tricolor and mast head light at the same time and be within the regs?
Ken
PS i am sure my mast headlight and stern light are also not very bright.

LED anchor lights are readily available. Not sure why you can’t find them.

Simplest solution is change the bulb out to an LED bulb.

Last edited:
On a powerboat, a tricolor cannot be legally used. You need separate side lights, a masthead light and a stern light. And then an anchor light. There are some lights available (I have one from signal mate) that are 2 mode and can operate at either a 225* masthead or a 360* anchor light.

My anchor light is and old style incandescent. Not very bright and a power hog. It is mounted on top of my mast on a trawler. I seem to be able to find led tricolor light with anchor light only. Can I run both the tricolor and mast head light at the same time and be within the regs?
Ken
PS i am sure my mast headlight and stern light are also not very bright.

I could be wrong, but the way I read the regs, a tricolor is only for sailboats at the mast head.

Power vessels must have the side lights lower than the masthead.

A tricolor with anchor light above all on at the same time might be a hard combo to discern from a distance if that's the white masthead you are planning.

A masthead below the tricolor.... doesn't really fit the rules.

Last edited:
On a powerboat, a tricolor cannot be legally used. You need separate side lights, a masthead light and a stern light. And then an anchor light. There are some lights available (I have one from signal mate) that are 2 mode and can operate at either a 225* masthead or a 360* anchor light.

It does depend on the length. OP has a 36'. That allows a red and green and one masthead 360 in lieu of a 225 stern and masthead. Then the masthead can also be used as an anchor light as well.

I have legal lighting

I have the legal lighting. I was questioning the legality of adding a tricolor. Jim, I like your anchor light. I tried West Marine, Defender and Go2marine. Changing to LED bulbs has never worked for me. Thisis a 75 trawler and probably can use a new fixture.
Ken

True, I forget the length, but small power vessels can have a bow red/green combo and a single 360 white on a stern pole...millions out there....

Back
Top Bottom