Mathers 2006 34 Mainship Trawler runaway engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaelmcp1

Iexperienced this last Sunday my Port stalled and starboard excelerated full speed ahead.I was lucky enough to miss all the boats in the marina,

Whoa! Glad you had control! I saw an express boat in Avalon Harbor at Catalina Island have a runaway, he ran it into the rocks vs taking out the boats in the harbor. It was pretty scary, and fast thinking!

Several threads on Trawler Forum discuss MMC (Mathers MicroCommander) control issues. Enter "Mathers" or "MMC" as a search term and you'll read about similar experiences.

MMCs are sensitive to voltage, so that's a likely place to start troubleshooting. But it can be frustrating and, as you realize, even dangerous. I know of boaters who, after losing confidence in the controls that came installed on their boat, have torn out their MMCs and replaced them with alternative electronic controls or even old school cable shifters and throttles.

Diesel engines can run on combustible fumes. WD40, solvents, gasoline vapors.

Only way to stop it is suffocation
Iexperienced this last Sunday my Port stalled and starboard nlyexcelerated full speed ahead.I was lucky enough to miss all the boats in the marina,

Diesels can runaway on their own lube oil if rings are bad.
CO2 fire extinguisher or cut off air..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom