Moorings at Block Island, RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Hi there,

This is our second season on Long Island Sound and we want to experience Block Island. Dock neighbors have various opinions and most usually raft up in rafts of a dozen or more. We'd like to spend a night or two on a mooring or anchor but would like to hear from those with similar size boats.

How does one get a mooring, and if it is during the week or the weekend - does that change the strategy?

If you were going to anchor alone (no raft) where would agood location be in the great Salt Pond?

BTW, we do have a dink and bikes.

Any information id appreciated.

Thanks,

JimL

I don't know if they're doing moorings yet this year or not, but last year, they were $40 I think? You simply called the block island harbor master upon arrival. It's first come first serve. The anchorage is ok, both moorings and Anchorage get really crowded during prime summer weekends.

First come first serve. Just get there early and wait and watch till someone leaves then go grab it. Harbor master will swing by and collect the $$. They also have some private moorings you can rent through them so call to check if there is nothing available.

However last I checked there was no pump out service running so it will limit who is there and for how long.

We are monitoring the situation as we want to go out in August and sept.

Moorings are preferred in GSP. Holding is/was sketchy for anchoring. The docks, at least back in the pre-Covid days were stacked up rafting (not fun in our opinion after visiting friends who had done it), but the Mudslide cocktails were pretty addictive. I kind of liked the scene over on the other side, in the Old Harbor area. But admittedly, my knowledge is 10 years dated.

We anchor every time we go to Block. I like the cove near "dinghy beach" which is on the east side of the salt pond just where the bottom comes up to 5 or 6 feet.
If you are looking for a town mooring get there early in the day and be prepared to idle around and wait for someone to leave.
After 3 in the afternoon the harbormaster will assign you a private mooring if you call and ask. But you'll have to be off by 10 am.
Some people in our marina were there over the weekend and said it was pretty sparse. I'm sure it will pick up.

As you enter the Great Salt Pond, there is a channel that runs right down the middle. There is a deep water anchorage on your port side 20+ feet with a long dinghy ride to the dinghy dock. The private mooring balls are white with blue. They will initially be to stbd and some to port just past the deep water anchorage.

The public mooring balls will be to stbd just past the private mooring balls. Those will be orange or green. They are first come first serve.

The shallower anchorage is to port behind the private mooring balls. There is a decent sized cove back there. Watch depths. As you get close to dinghy beach it gets shallow.

Arrive early on a weekend. As I recall there were a couple of small buoys marking the northern conservation area next to the shallow water anchorage. Do NOT go past the buoys. You will run aground. Anchorage area is well protected, never had a problem.

Last edited:
Arrive early on a weekend. As I recall there were a couple of small buoys marking the conservation area next to the shallow water anchorage. Do NOT go past the buoys. You will run aground. Anchorage area is well protected, never had a problem.

Agreed. Be mindful of the no anchoring markers. Some delimit a conservation area (shallow water). Some for areas of tow sports and day sailing, some mooring fields.

Thanks all,

We'll take this all into consideration.

Can anyone provide any information about Three Mile Harbor? We're considering Three Mile Harbor as an alternate based on the wind. Are there mooring balls or an acceptable anchorage? Is there access to shore by dinghy, restaurants and other amenities near by? We have bikes, and just need access for the dinghy.

JimL

Shrew and J Leonard: Thanks for correcting me on a few issues. The root of my statements were incidences of experienced friends anchoring and then dragging further out in the harbor in peak season, and observations of boats that looked fairly salty, but of unknown captaining skills, also dragging . This happened when storms blew through. So it's good to know things are better if you can find a spot in the locations described. Great detailed local knowledge there!

From the town website
J
As of June 1, 2020 any transient vessel coming from a state that does not have shelter in place requirements is not required to quarantine. They are allowed at the marinas to dock and are able to get off their vessels. I advise you to contact the private marina before coming over to check with their regulations.

The Town moorings are installed and are available first come first serve, we do not take reservations. Hail the Harbormaster on VHF CH 12 for further assistance.

Pumpout service is operational and available on VHF CH 12.

The public dinghy dock is available.

The Town dock is operational in Old Harbor. Again, we do not take reservations. Hail the Old Harbor Dockmaster on VHF CH 12 for further assistance.

We ask everyone to adhere to the social distancing guidelines and bring a mask with you if you are going to an establishment that may require one.

We look forward to seeing you on the Pond!

Shrew and J Leonard: Thanks for correcting me on a few issues. The root of my statements were incidences of experienced friends anchoring and then dragging further out in the harbor in peak season, and observations of boats that looked fairly salty, but of unknown captaining skills, also dragging . This happened when storms blew through. So it's good to know things are better if you can find a spot in the locations described. Great detailed local knowledge there!

Dragging is common in the Great Salt Pond, however the holding is actually very good in most spots. Dragging is the result of undersized gear, insufficient scope and not properly setting the anchor.

It's usually very, very crowded. transient moorings are typically difficult to find, though friends tell us in our current covid situation docks and moorings are empty. The anchorage is tight. In order to get proper scope you really need to drop your anchor very close the boat in front of you, then drop back into the spot. Many people drop their anchor too far behind the boat i front of them, then as they drop back, they stop paying out scope because they're getting too close to the boat behind them. What results is insufficient scope. Then when a thunderstorm blows through, all hell breaks loose. Despite this, we only ever anchor.

There is almost always a decent wind out there to begin with.

I too have heard the harbor has been empty and I am not sure what is open in town. Our intention is to go there in late July mid-week when it is not quite as crazy. Agree on the anchoring, we always try to find a place further away from the crowd, while it may make for a longer dinghy trip the piece of mind factor is better. Thankfully we have a sturdy anchor with 30' of chain which does the trick

Thanks all,

We'll take this all into consideration.

Can anyone provide any information about Three Mile Harbor? We're considering Three Mile Harbor as an alternate based on the wind. Are there mooring balls or an acceptable anchorage? Is there access to shore by dinghy, restaurants and other amenities near by? We have bikes, and just need access for the dinghy.

JimL

Possibly our favorite anchorage.
BEST holding ground that I have found in New England. Nice mud. We usually have to work hard to get our anchor out and cleaned.
There are 3 (IIRC) town moorings.
Not much for amenities or resturants close by, but there are one or two.
There is a town dinghy dock at the end of the harbor. You can bike into town.
Fuel is available as is ice and trash disposal.
That's why we like it nice and quiet.
Killer dinking as well and lots of wild life.
Never very busy except for the Bastille Day fireworks.

Plus Sag Harbor is right around the corner, and Coecles Harbor is also close. So we like to do them together like a mini cruise.

Dragging is common in the Great Salt Pond, however the holding is actually very good in most spots. Dragging is the result of undersized gear, insufficient scope and not properly setting the anchor.

It's usually very, very crowded. transient moorings are typically difficult to find, though friends tell us in our current covid situation docks and moorings are empty. The anchorage is tight. In order to get proper scope you really need to drop your anchor very close the boat in front of you, then drop back into the spot. Many people drop their anchor too far behind the boat i front of them, then as they drop back, they stop paying out scope because they're getting too close to the boat behind them. What results is insufficient scope. Then when a thunderstorm blows through, all hell breaks loose. Despite this, we only ever anchor.

There is almost always a decent wind out there to begin with.

Shrew is sight on the money with the above. I'll add that if you are in the shallow anchorage area you can see the bottom well enough to make sure you drop the anchor in a clearing not on a grass patch.
That will insure you'll get a good hold.

We usually have to work hard to get our anchor out and cleaned.

This seems to be the case with almost everything around the Gardiners Bay area. Coecles Harbor (Cedar Island Cove) and West Neck also have thick mud that turns into cement if you don't clean the chain and deck. Lake Montuak is pretty sandy. We also anchor Sag Harbor Cove however it can get hot back there and you have to pick your days. You also have to know the unmarked channel to get back there.

We also anchor Sag Harbor Cove however it can get hot back there and you have to pick your days. You also have to know the unmarked channel to get back there.

For those who don't know that "channel" after you go under the 20 ft highway bridge, take a 90 degree turn 30 to 50 feet after the first red marker. I have never seen less than 5 feet there. Then it drops off to 8 to 12.

This is all REALLY helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and advice.

Jim

I have been in GSP the past 2 weekends and plan to go back this weekend. We always maximize our trips there prior to July 4th because of the lack of crowds and mooring availability- etc.

The first weekend there were less than a dozen boats on the town moorings. Last weekend was a better weather weekend and it was probably at 50% capacity. Still plenty of green balls. The anchorage was sparsely populated.

The pump out boat is operating and the launch service is starting this week.

Restaurants are slowly opening with SD practices, paper menus etc. The Oar is opening today (Wed). I am looking forward to their sushi this weekend.

Attached pic is from the 2 weeks ago looking toward Paynes Dock after a line of thunderstorms move through.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• BI.jpg
    BI.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 86
Look at the Eastern LI Sound locals!! I'd suggest a rendezvous if not for social distancing. :|

I will second what others have said about Block. Getting a town mooring (green/orange ball) can be really difficult during July/August. Best day is a Sunday afternoon or Monday but I've shown up on those days and been skunked too.

We are heading out this Friday. Our plan over past few years has been to bring boat out a couple of weeks before 4th of July and stay through the 4th. We've not had a problem getting a mooring that early. That leads to another point on the moorings... there is no time limit. You'll see many boats sit on them for weeks, sometimes occupied and sometimes not. As long as you've paid harbor master has not objected. So turnover is not as frequent as some other popular harbors.

People have already discussed the anchoring which can be challenging due to poor holding, tight space and lack of scope, as well as squalls that blow through. Anyone who's spent time in Block has seen a Tstorm roll thru and roil the anchorage. It can be complete bedlam. If you don't drag, some drunken raft near you might. It's an adventure.

I can almost taste the mudslides...

I will second what others have said about Block. Getting a town mooring (green/orange ball) can be really difficult during July/August. Best day is a Sunday afternoon or Monday but I've shown up on those days and been skunked too.

We are heading out this Friday. Our plan over past few years has been to bring boat out a couple of weeks before 4th of July and stay through the 4th. We've not had a problem getting a mooring that early. That leads to another point on the moorings... there is no time limit. You'll see many boats sit on them for weeks, sometimes occupied and sometimes not. As long as you've paid harbor master has not objected. So turnover is not as frequent as some other popular harbors.

People have already discussed the anchoring which can be challenging due to poor holding, tight space and lack of scope, as well as squalls that blow through. Anyone who's spent time in Block has seen a Tstorm roll thru and roil the anchorage. It can be complete bedlam. If you don't drag, some drunken raft near you might. It's an adventure.

I can almost taste the mudslides...

I know people who rent the transient moorings all season. They rent transient moorings all season to charter businesses as well. I vehemently disagree with this practice. It makes it very difficult to actually get a transient mooring, and leads to the anchorage getting over crowded.

I have to completely disagree with the 'poor holding' comment. Very good holding. Boats drag due to undersized gear, insufficient scope, and improper setting. A properly sized anchor, with sufficient scope, actively sett by reversing on it will hold.

I back down until it's set, then increase RPM's to 1,000 and hold it for 30 seconds making sure I'm not moving. I have a difficult time freeing it from the seabed at 0 scope when I leave.

Shrew's setting method sounds similar to what I typically do (with good success) in most bottoms. Once my desired scope is out, I let the boat come back gently until it pulls the rode tight for the initial set, at which point the boat rebounds forward a bit. Then I gently come back against it again and as it comes tight, drop both engines in reverse and let it pull at idle until it settles tight, boat points to the wind and we're not moving. Sit for a few more seconds, then increase to 900 rpm (1000 if heavier weather is expected) and confirm the boat isn't moving after a few seconds, then back to idle, then neutral and shut down.

I know people who rent the transient moorings all season. They rent transient moorings all season to charter businesses as well. I vehemently disagree with this practice. It makes it very difficult to actually get a transient mooring, and leads to the anchorage getting over crowded.

I have to completely disagree with the 'poor holding' comment. Very good holding. Boats drag due to undersized gear, insufficient scope, and improper setting. A properly sized anchor, with sufficient scope, actively sett by reversing on it will hold.

I back down until it's set, then increase RPM's to 1,000 and hold it for 30 seconds making sure I'm not moving. I have a difficult time freeing it from the seabed at 0 scope when I leave.

I confess I'm conflicted about the mooring policy. In general I agree that a time limit and reservation system a-la Edgartown would make life a lot easier for boaters on Block. But I do like to bring my boat out early and leave it there for a couple of weeks while going back and fourth on the Ferry. This year it will be three weeks and I'll probably go back and fourth by ferry twice, staying through the 4th.

As to anchoring, I don't disagree with anything you said. Thousands of people anchor there fine and the problems are generally associated with others dragging due to poor technique or equipment. The problem is, even if you are set like a rock, some idiot dragging into you can cause as many problems as if you drag yourself.

I should have said holding is "not ideal". There are easy spots in sand and 5 feet of water. But there are also spots that are deep as well as spots with eel grass. And some of it is very hard packed and difficult to get a set. None of that is a problem for a BI veteran like it sounds you are. But new harbor is often amateur hour when it comes to a lot of the boats.

"I have to completely disagree with the 'poor holding' comment. Very good holding. Boats drag due to undersized gear, insufficient scope, and improper setting. A properly sized anchor, with sufficient scope, actively sett by reversing on it will hold."
Having been at BI at least once each season for 20+ years I cannot agree with you more about the ability to get a good hold.
But... the problem comes from others who do not and cause issues when you are there and also when you are away.

If we cannot get a mooring. We park further away from the hoards and avoid busy weekends. Bit more of a dinghy ride but what else is there to do.

We've always anchored at Block - typically in 35-40+ ft with a 110 lb Bruce, 50' of 1/2" chain and another 50-80' of steel aircraft wire rope plus a 25' nylon snubber. We have never once dragged but have been in several fairly severe squalls at Block and seen multiple boats dragging all over the anchorage. Don't want to say it's crowded, but here's a radar screen shot - this is on a 1/4 mi scale!:

13-07-13 - fog quarter mile radar.png

Here's a shot on a 1/8 mi scale:

13-07-13 - fog eighth mile radar.png

The fog was so thick you couldn't see more than 20 yds (taken at the same time as the above radar screen shots):

13-07-13-panoramic of fog from aft deck (2).jpg

I prefer the mooring as I always worry about someone else who does not use adequate equipment to anchor and/or who ties up with a bunch of other boats. When a storm blasts through it can cause a bit of mayhem.

We had a few morning of dense fog like that year. Thankfully it usually burns off .

We just went this past weekend. Saturday into Sunday. The town moorings were full when we showed up at 1:30. If you call the harbor master early enough(ch 12), they'll put you on a private mooring, if any are available and unused for the night. $46. We were happy to have one. We had friends in the anchorage and they still had plenty of room.

I'll echo by July 4 it turns into a zoo.

The oar is open and with very conservative outside seating, we couldn't say no to a mud slide or two.

Payne's was a zoo(but when is it not?). We took one look and kept walking. No masks, tons of people shoulder to shoulder.

I prefer the mooring as I always worry about someone else who does not use adequate equipment to anchor and/or who ties up with a bunch of other boats. When a storm blasts through it can cause a bit of mayhem.

We had a few morning of dense fog like that year. Thankfully it usually burns off .

Out to BI, I can recall given more then one chap a dinghy ride back to their boat. Claiming theirs was lost or having missed the last taxi

Back
Top Bottom