Most Versatile Cooking Appliance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: But there is another version with all the same and just adds a grill part to it. :D

Have a link? The grill one I have seen doesn't seem to pressure cook or slow cook......etc.

rsn48, what exactly do you like about the induction plate over propane? We're considering one for our new to us boat. I THINK it uses less electricity since it is theoretically only heating the pan and the contents, and therefore puts less heat into the cabin, but is that correct?

Induction is definitely better than resistive electric, both for efficiency and for heat control. But in general, I'm not a big fan of pressurized flammable stuff, so I'm not a big fan of propane on boats (even though I like using a gas stove). Plus, if you already have an electrical infrastructure capable of powering an electric stove, that's one less fuel type you need to source and carry (unless you have a propane grill).

One of my new favorite methods is the Sous Vide which allows me to cook my meal to the desired temp over any period from 2 hrs to 4 hrs without concern for over- or under-cooking. Cleanup is a cinch, too. This method also works very well for reheating leftovers or pre-cooked meals, which I do often.

Do you mean Sous Vide using the Instant Pot?

How do you do it? I don't remember seeing an option for that in the instructions...

-Chris

To answer the induction question I will first say that in my boat (no generator) I have two systems because I am cheap. So propane when not at a marina, electric when at a marina, might as well get my money's worth form the electric I am paying for. So when I use induction which by the way I bought to use with my Winnebago motorhome, same reason, save propane.

But I will link you to a video and thread I started a while back. You only need to read my OP's first post. In it I link to "Gone with the Wynn's" electrical set up, they don't use a generator. But you should know they have a lithium battery bank that less than one percent of all boaters have. She shows her two favourite electrical appliances and why she bought a portable induction unit and not fixed mount, I too subscribe to the portability of the induction plate:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/all-electric-galley-55781.html

And I thought I would add this, my boat is set up somewhat differently than most boats that don't have a generator. First I have 6 firefly batteries that give me 550 of usable amps, you can take them down to 20 %. Fireflies are very similar to lithium in that they absorb energy much faster than FLA and AGM batteries. So when I am under power they are sucking up more juice faster.

I then added 300 watts of solar so that can help in topping up my battery bank. And then I added the largest Efoy fuel cell unit (the 210). My Efoy is slow but like the tortoise keeps going on and on. This unit will add a little over 7.5 amps an hour.

So I kind of lied. I do use the induction when at anchor but usually when propane is getting lower. Using the induction for half an hour (remember it is cycling on and off), my toaster, my tv, my microwave I might have a heavy 350 amp day. Lets say I fry something in the evening, roughly 6:00 PM and it takes a half hour. And I have depleted my battery bank down 350 amps. By 10:00 AM with Efoy on I have replaced 105 amps, by dinner that night, I have replaced 180 amps. My solar has added to that total and if I have used the boat for two hours, the bank if full again.

Last edited:
Great question! I would go with my trusty Le Crueset dutch oven, I figure I can make pretty much anything in it:)

Seeing Pilou`s post 24, maybe we could use a thread about onboard glassware. Here you can buy what start out as "crystal" clear plastic wine "glasses", champagne "glasses", and probably "tumbler" type "glasses". They seem to cost $10 for one!
I can buy 6 modest quality wine glasses emanating from a country I won`t identify for about $12. If I break them I can get more. Easily. I`d rather drink from glass.
There are stemless wine glasses too......

Here you can buy what start out as "crystal" clear plastic wine "glasses", champagne "glasses", and probably "tumbler" type "glasses". They seem to cost $10 for one!

I did pay roughly $10 per clear plastic containers. I bought two types only and 6 each (not a large boat). One type was your usual slightly larger wine glass, the other kind of looks like a longish wine glass but is for beer. Obviously I can use these two types for all manners of beverage.

When I first put them on the boat, I questioned my decision to go plastic. My experience has been I don't regret the purchase at all. I don't know how many times they have gone flying due to rough waves, or sometimes in transportation, or hit while prepping for a meal.

I would say the larger your boat the less need for unbreakable beverage ware. But if you have something lets say 35 feet and under, it may not be a bad way to go. I will say I saw similar clear plastic beverage ware at much higher prices. Interestingly I found the best prices to be at a sauna store.

rsn48,glad to hear good reports on the plastic glasses.
We have short stem heavy base wine glasses(branded Jamie Oliver but bought because they looked stable), and tall champagne glasses,seriously impractical on a boat, look expensive but only cost $20 on special.
There are good heavy based no stem wine glasses by good makers, not cheap, looking more like tumblers than the elegant glassware Pilou displays,but practical.

Not sure why anyone would choose something that is electric. Shouldn't lack of electricity fall under the condition of "sh!t hitting the fan"? When I read the question I was immediately thinking of what device would cook everything you need without relying on any other system.

Not sure why anyone would choose something that is electric. Shouldn't lack of electricity fall under the condition of "sh!t hitting the fan"? When I read the question I was immediately thinking of what device would cook everything you need without relying on any other system.
I thought the OP was galley oriented...so all the grill responses unless galley built in didn't answer the question under my definition...maybe Al will clarify.

Even if so, outside flames are prohibited in some if not many marinas.... so that leaves at anchor/mooring ball time.

Some here live aboard and some even live primarily at anchor/mooring. But most don't 24X7X365. Plus some at anchor living aboard have gone solar enough to possibly justify electric appliances. I use an electric slow cooker while cruising underway using the alternator and inverter. Prepare meal before weighing anchor, cook while underway, ready at destination with no loss on battery reserve. So if most people, most of their time spend at a dock, electricity could be a primary energy source with small chance of failure.

Even a butane stove has a regulator that can fail or run out of fuel.

So I guess I took it as what is the most useful tool that either does the most or much of it in a way you enjoy. If all you eat is rice, I could see a rice cooker or if fancy coffee, a top of the line machine...but most of us eat/drink way more than that.

Not a cooking device, but the second most important appliance to me might be my tabletop icemaker.

I figure if I've lost the ability to power any form of electric cooking appliance in some way, then I've got some pretty major problems and cooking is likely not my top priority. Basically, to reach that point, I'd have to lose the generator, the inverter (and batteries), and the ability to plug the boat in at a dock. Or have some serious electrical failure that I couldn't bypass or wire around.

Of course, what it would take to lose galley power to the point where you couldn't recover it depends a lot on the boat and its systems.

Oh but nay.....maybe....the Ninja Foodi is not the grill version but an Insta Pot like device WITH an air fryer lid that boils and air frys. Dripping fat on fire like results of a grill? ......No, but close and it does everything else you can imagine in one pot.

You put water and rice in the bottom and meat on the top. Pressure cook for 2 minutes, quick release add veggies on the nearly cooked rice and now broil for 10 or so minutes. Blackened meat with roasted veggies and perfect rice with a crisp layer on top.

All in one pot, all about a half hour of prep and cook in one very easy to clean non stick pot. The little rack the meat cooks on is the hardest to clean and let it soak in the pot and its a snap if sprayed with cooking oil.

Last night,, made blackened Jamaican jerk chicken with broccoli and Spanish yellow rice with no smoke, no breaking marina rules, easy pre/cook/cleanup....all in 30 minutes. I can cook but not great, yet some of these meals rival some of the better restaurants if you start with decent ingredients.

The pressure cooker feature allows you to take frozen ingredients straight to the cooker and cook them evenly....well many items.....

Great. Thanks so much for those mental pics, now I need to go forage in the kitchen since you made me hungry . . . :nonono:

I figure if I've lost the ability to power any form of electric cooking appliance in some way, then I've got some pretty major problems and cooking is likely not my top priority. Basically, to reach that point, I'd have to lose the generator, the inverter (and batteries), and the ability to plug the boat in at a dock. Or have some serious electrical failure that I couldn't bypass or wire around.

Of course, what it would take to lose galley power to the point where you couldn't recover it depends a lot on the boat and its systems.

I guess we need a better definition of "sh!t hitting the fan". If I was at my dock, I would just order takeout! Or drive home and use my kitchen. lol. I was more in the mindset of being at anchor where you only had one cooking device to rely on. I don't have an inverter, so the generator would be a single point of failure for electricity. But maybe I'm not interpreting the original question correctly. If you remove the "sh!t" part of the question, maybe he was just asking, "what would be your favorite cooking device if you could only choose one" assuming all systems are working and available. On my boat I have a propane grill, an electric stove, a microwave, a butane single burner camp stove, and a Keurig coffeemaker. Also an old-style coffee percolator. In my case, the regular 2-burner electric stove would make most sense.

To Pilou, rsn48, and rslifkin,
Thanks for your input on induction plates! Gives me a better understanding, and reinforces my desire to try one out. rsn48, I am familiar with the Wynns, and recall seeing their vid on their plate. That's one of the reasons I'm interested! Still frustrated that we're not yet at the boat . . . . We're getting stuff done, but seems so slow trying to get out of Kentucky!

Pilou, your boat and place settings are awesome!

Oh, and to the OP, my wife will definitely NOT be without her IP! Happy Wife, happy Life!:D

I guess we need a better definition of "sh!t hitting the fan". If I was at my dock, I would just order takeout! Or drive home and use my kitchen. lol. I was more in the mindset of being at anchor where you only had one cooking device to rely on. I don't have an inverter, so the generator would be a single point of failure for electricity. But maybe I'm not interpreting the original question correctly. If you remove the "sh!t" part of the question, maybe he was just asking, "what would be your favorite cooking device if you could only choose one" assuming all systems are working and available. On my boat I have a propane grill, an electric stove, a microwave, a butane single burner camp stove, and a Keurig coffeemaker. Also an old-style coffee percolator. In my case, the regular 2-burner electric stove would make most sense.

Why in the world would anyone limit themselves to your limitations especially just ordering takeout, your boat, your maintenance skills, the occasional "**** hitting the fan", your food tastes, your cruising styles, etc...etc...etc...

State what you like or have and the "what ifs" may or may not have anything to do with anyone else.

One of the major confusing and most argumentative path on TF.

I didn't mean to sound argumentative at all, just trying to better understand the point of the question.

Propane for me. If all of our kids are with us and need additional cook tops, we whip out our butane stoves as well. We have no genset and our boat is either on a mooring at home or at anchor when we're traveling. I'm a freak about battery preservation and it makes life simple. We've also been experimenting with a our new GoSun solar oven. We have ALOT to learn with that one. If anyone has any experience with it, I'd love to hear back.

If electricity is available I always use the good old fashion electric skillet. Even though I have a stove in the galley I like the convenience of the electric skillet. Frying pan and heat source in one.
I also have butane stove and propane grill which can also be used as a stove.

Same here! I figure if the "sh** hits the fan" there is some sort of large problem. An electrical appliance relies on a number of systems working, plus if it breaks, can I even fix it myself (circuit boards, etc.)?

So I chose the propane stove because it's relatively simple, and versatile (could boil water, etc. although I do have a water filter). Since I could run out of propane (and if the sh** has hit the fan can I even get more?), I added a twig stove as a backup. As long as there are twigs or etc. I've got flame to cook.

I was surprised how many people would choose a more "complicated" device for a disaster scenario (maybe their fixit skills with circuit boards and stuff are better than mine).

I don't think choosing an all purpose cooker is any different than relying on a toaster.

Most here including me have the basic cooking device, just something else that is more 21st century.

I don't think choosing an all purpose cooker is any different than relying on a toaster.

Most here including me have the basic cooking device, just something else that is more 21st century.

Oh absolutely. My only surprise was because the thread was based on the premise that the "sh*t has hit the fan" and you can choose one thing to cook your food with what would it be?

I like "21st Century" things but they don't always work the best in a "hit the fan" scenario.

Reminds me of the time anchored off Glen Cove marina (located between Vallejo and Benicia on the Carquinez Strait) in the early 1980s. In our 17-foot-waterline-cutter. we lighted a camp stove when there was fuel overflow which created a large flame in the open cockpit. Almost immediately some concerned boater offered assistance. Thankfully, not needed.

Not on a boat with solar and a generator. The important differentiation, IMO, is the ability to generate electrons while away from the dock plug.

Same here! I figure if the "sh** hits the fan" there is some sort of large problem. An electrical appliance relies on a number of systems working, plus if it breaks, can I even fix it myself (circuit boards, etc.)?

So I chose the propane stove because it's relatively simple, and versatile (could boil water, etc. although I do have a water filter). Since I could run out of propane (and if the sh** has hit the fan can I even get more?), I added a twig stove as a backup. As long as there are twigs or etc. I've got flame to cook.

I was surprised how many people would choose a more "complicated" device for a disaster scenario (maybe their fixit skills with circuit boards and stuff are better than mine).

This being a Trawler Forum, I posited the question re: galley. This from Post 1...

"If the sh!t hit the fan tomorrow and you can only take one galley cooking device with you on a long term cruise, what would you choose first?"

Sorry, but I won't be using burning twigs on my boat.

I think that perhaps it's"if the "sh*t hits the fan" not being further defined. You mention a generator; if the SHTF can you get fuel?

I've been living on solar for 7 years (and dabbling before that); but when you said SHTF I immediately thought of simpler things. Because although I wired my system myself, and I can fix it, there are still a number of components (solar controller, batteries, the electrical appliance itself) that could die and be hard to replace in a SHTF scenario.

But then is this SHTF something like "you are windbound in the anchorage for 3 days" or is it "a hurricane collapsed society in a 300-mile radius of your boat" or is it something even more serious?

That's probably why some of our answers are baffling to others and vice-versa.

Sorry, but I won't be using burning twigs on my boat.

That's my bad. You know, when i wrote that I thought about adding "to be used on shore only," but then I figured it was obvious. Shouldn't have assumed :blush:

So I'll add it now: Please don't anyone use a twig stove on your boat just because I mentioned carrying one for back-up! But if the SHTF to the point where you cannot refill your fuel source, and/or your appliance circuit board breaks down, then consider using one on shore (where the twigs often are).

Last edited:
Frosty, I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I'm thinking trawler like the 34 LRC I own. What's your reference?

I guess my favorite would be my single induction hob. 800 watts and it can make a pot of coffee in about 4 minutes. The best cooking pot for it is an induction pressure cooker. Much faster than an InstaPot. I have an InstaPot at home, but too bulky and a little clunky for my boat. The induction hob with the pressure cooker can be monitored so that no steam escapes from the pot and no condensation like always happens with propane. When it is 25F outside, cooking dinner on propane means that you won't see out the windows until underway in the morning. Not a problem with a sealed pot and induction burner.

Back
Top Bottom