Motorbike on a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also met a guy with an N86 that carried a Fiat 500 (car) on his foredeck. The color matched the boat (of course) and it looked pretty cool. That boat had a davit/crane that could lift the car on and off. I think they had to pick their spots to load/unload and the car might have eventually had corrosion issues..
Rust leapt to mind as the main issue. Some suspect Fiats and Alfas are imported to Australia as deck cargo on submarines.:)

I delivered a beautiful Grand Banks in September of 2013 From Bangor, ME to Mystic, CT. This was a low budget delivery for a friend so I didn't rent a car, one way, to drive up there from the Hudson Valley of NY and then rent another to get home. I rode my motorcycle up to the boat, used the boom to lift it up onto the boat and then off again. The Multistrada weighs about 450 Lbs. and the wing/boom had no issues with the lift. Was a nice sail of a few days and then back home. Everyone at both ends of the trip were amazed to see the Moto up on deck and stared while loading/unloading and then riding down the dock to the exit.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 56
I number of years ago, and I can't remember where...I say a guy pull up to a marina that hosts a lot of fishing tournaments. They had a crane they used to off load for the weigh ins right beside the fuel dock.

The guy docked and they craned a decent sized scooter from the cockpit. I suppose if it can lift an 800lb Tuna, it can handle a 300lb scooter.

I delivered a beautiful Grand Banks in September of 2013 From Bangor, ME to Mystic, CT. This was a low budget delivery for a friend so I didn't rent a car, one way, to drive up there from the Hudson Valley of NY and then rent another to get home. I rode my motorcycle up to the boat, used the boom to lift it up onto the boat and then off again. The Multistrada weighs about 450 Lbs. and the wing/boom had no issues with the lift. Was a nice sail of a few days and then back home. Everyone at both ends of the trip were amazed to see the Moto up on deck and stared while loading/unloading and then riding down the dock to the exit.

Jon,
Thanks a lot for your answer, this is very useful.

I wonder if that is the rare Grand Banks 50 Motor Yacht.

We live on a 40' sailing catamaran. We have a 125cc Yamaha Mio (outside USA scooter). It only weighs 90kg. It's also Fuel Injected and has both electric and kick start.
I have loved scooters and motorbikes my whole life. Flat floor scooters are the most practical. You can store heavy items on the floor by your feet. CG stays low. Saves the price of rental cars/taxis and the hassle of shuttles/buses. We just strap it down on the transom and wash it off as soon as you get anywhere.

We push it from the boat to a dock using our wood passerelle. I've never tried to float it with our dinghy.

We have considered electric bikes, but that would require two. Normal bikes aren't cheap or maintenance free either.

Chris
SV Cosmos

Nice selection of bikes. A duc, beemer, wing, Honda. Surprised no dressers.

I'm off the dock with my Silverwing. It was surprisingly easy after an aborted attempt to have it facing aft.

I'm traveling the Trent Severn and want to be able to get back and forth between boat and home about 100-200 miles away. This should do nicely.PXL_20230504_211440607.jpgPXL_20230504_211452487.jpgPXL_20230504_211741459.jpg

Last edited:
My experiment has gone well so far. I've loaded and unloaded unassisted a couple of times, and the bike is easy to secure on deck.

I was a bit concerned about lock wall clearance on the port side, but the bike is just inboard enough to not hit the wall.FB_IMG_1685500725813.jpg

Cuban trails

I loaded three off road adventure bikes onto the aft cabin top on my GB42 for a trail ride through the mountains of Cuba some time ago. They were KTM 690 Enduro Rs so they weigh about 300 lbs each. Loaded and unloaded using the dinghy davit (not the boom) and secured them using ratcheting straps and bike chocks. Doused the metal bits in CRC 656 and covered with canvas to avoid big spray. Worked great.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

Attachments

• 012Gypsylife.jpg
    012Gypsylife.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 001WiederNordwaerts.jpg
    001WiederNordwaerts.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 44
  • kopf-hauptseite.jpg
    kopf-hauptseite.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Nice 690. Is that a 450 on the dock?

@Hyperion, I can’t imagine loading three of those onboard. I picture loading just one of my XR600 beasts and the idea seems crazy.

How was cruising around Cuba?

Nice. My first bike was an XR400. It was great. The little towns and farms up in the mountains and hills were filled with the nicest people. We avoided the cities and got a good dose of the area. There is a funny boat related side story. Before I bought my trawler, none of us had a vessel that could get to Cuba so our plan was to pay a Shrimp Boat Captain to load our bikes on his boat and run us down to Hemingway Marina. He would then wait for us for a week there and then bring us and our bikes back. There were some doubts that he would be there when we got back if he had already been paid and certainly would not risk taking us based on a promise to be paid so we had a plan. We were going to do the deal like a movie plot drug deal. We would pay him the $10,000 in $100 bills all cut in half. His half was useless without our half and vsv. This was our "genius" plan. Fortunately I got a trawler as I think the "plan" could have gone sideways in a myriad of ways.

We just purchased two Honda Trail '90's. They are . . . . well, fixer uppers! They weigh 180lbs, and we can run them onto the swim step with a passerelle, then hoist it with the boom onto the back deck where we can secure it and keep it out of spray. Probably use one of them with the buddy seat, but may use both, who knows?
We'll see how the "refit" on the bikes go, and since there is nothing that requires work on our boat:whistling:at the moment, I'll dive right in!

Attachments

• Honda CT90 green5.jpeg
    Honda CT90 green5.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Honda CT90 yellow1.jpeg
    Honda CT90 yellow1.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 31
We just purchased two Honda Trail '90's. They are . . . . well, fixer uppers! They weigh 180lbs, and we can run them onto the swim step with a passerelle, then hoist it with the boom onto the back deck where we can secure it and keep it out of spray. Probably use one of them with the buddy seat, but may use both, who knows?
We'll see how the "refit" on the bikes go, and since there is nothing that requires work on our boat:whistling:at the moment, I'll dive right in!

Probably the perfect Vessel utility motorcycle to get!

Have you seen the new ones? They are awesome and $4000 new! Heavier though. 256 lbs fully fueled.

2023-trail125-gallery-01-2400xauto.jpg

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/minimoto/trail125

We carried a couple of scooters for many years onboard and moved them with the davit and a couple of dinghies dependent upon where we were headed. If there is a good use for then its great to have them along.

Probably the perfect Vessel utility motorcycle to get!

Have you seen the new ones? They are awesome and $4000 new! Heavier though. 256 lbs fully fueled.

Yes, I've seen them, and they look pretty neat, but I'm intrigued by resurrecting the CT-90's as well. Plus it's a way to "prove concept" without breaking the bank!:dance:

I kept a Yamaha Zuma in the cockpit of my 53 Navigator for many years of traveling the Pacific Northwest. It’s heavy but no problem for the davit. Loved it.

Now I have a smaller boat - American Tug 34 - and I haul 2 foldable RAD e-bikes on the roof. They’re lighter, no gas/oil to deal with. But range is limited to ~25 miles (which is not an issue).
Pete

Everything boating might be financial stupidity for you.
For us, buying a big boat and cruising full time is financially prudent.

I disagree. All boat owners are idiots. That’s why I cut back to only five boats.

Yeah I’m back to five too. Trying out a Jetson Pro e-bike at about 45 pounds reconditioned $250. So far about 15 miles range and 15 mph top.

Yes, I've seen them, and they look pretty neat, but I'm intrigued by resurrecting the CT-90's as well. Plus it's a way to "prove concept" without breaking the bank!:dance:

Smart.

http://dratv.com/

Is the go to place for CT parts if/when the website works. They packaged and shipped well to Canada for me last year. It's real Mom and Pop operation.

I also ordered some parts from megazip as well when I had some RHD Toyota LandCruiser parts to buy.

I disagree. All boat owners are idiots. That’s why I cut back to only five boats.

Hi, I'm Scot, I'd like to thank you for welcoming me to your group. It's been THREE WEEKS since I've bought a boat . . . :D

But it's only been TWO WEEKS since I bought two motorbikes . . . :facepalm:
There is no hope . . . :nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom