MS 34 mk 1 1978 - Thrusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jinthemiddle

Would any one be able to enlighten me on the thrusters inc. maintenance on these please? Also I am looking for a photo or drawing of a side view of the hull locating these. ( I have not yet been able to see this boat on the ‘hard.’
Thx. Again! Loy

Depending on the year, most of the thrusters were “Side-Power” brand thrusters of various sizes. Early models like the 350 had complaints of thrusters that were too small.

My 2001 390 just has a bow thruster. The thruster motor is accessible from a panel you remove under the front v-berth. In there you will find the motor and an oil reservoir. Figure out what model you have…printed on the side. Get the manual. The biggest maintenance would be to change the oil. Manual explains how and what kind of oil.

Be aware that the drain plug/ o ring gasket can be fragile, and likely may not seal after you remove. Order all this as a spare before you do it.

There are also sacrificial anodes on each side of the propellers. Make sure to get the right type for your water (boat zincs dot com is great for this). I just put my boat up for its winter nap, and am amazed how much those little anodes are used up north here during my short season.

Another good thing to check is all electrical connections up there, anything loose, cracked or burned? If so, get a pro involved to help.

One final thing- there is a huge fuse for the thruster behind the battery switch panel on my 2001 390. Figure out where yours is and maybe you want a spare.

I love having my thruster, But I’ve also been trying to use it less and learn to handle the boat as well as I can with no thruster. Someday the thrusters may not work, will you have a clue what to do?

If you find your model and can’t find the manual, post back here someone probably has one they can scan and get to you.

I had the Sidepower SE60/185S - 12v installed on our 1983 MKIII Mainship 34. With the black bottom paint it's a bit hard to see. I had the joystick hardwired to the flybridge and also have the wireless remote so I can operate it from a distance and impress my friends. The pictures depict a rather expensive first haul. I also had the decks and cabin painted with awlgrip stark white.
The thruster was the best upgrade and is a nice single hander now, even backing into the slip.

Attachments

• Compress_20231015_155529_9425.jpg
    Compress_20231015_155529_9425.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Compress_20231015_155529_9684.jpg
    Compress_20231015_155529_9684.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29
I don't know anything about the thrusters used in this era.
I can elaborate on the SidePower thrusters used in the late model #$ T/HTs if desired.
Others w/ MS from this era may chime in

I don't think it would have been original equipment, so it could be anything.

Generally there isn't a lot of required maintenance apart from anode replacement.

Find the thruster inside and take a couple of pics. It's under the forward berth. Then we can ID it.

I don't know anything about the thrusters used in this era.
I can elaborate on the SidePower thrusters used in the late model #$ T/HTs if desired.
Others w/ MS from this era may chime in

I had mine installed in 2021.

I don't think it would have been original equipment, so it could be anything.

Generally there isn't a lot of required maintenance apart from anode replacement.

Find the thruster inside and take a couple of pics. It's under the forward berth. Then we can ID it.

Yep, I'd first suspect dealer or aftermarket install. Find thruster, check labels, determine brand/model, get their manual...

We didn't have one on our '87 Mk III... would have been nifty. Although not having one taught us lots about using spring lines effectively.

-Chris

Thrusters were not oem on the older “Nantucket” series Mainships. It would have been owner/ yard installed and could be any brand
Best to get make and model and ask about maintenance in the “General”!thread area.

Back
Top Bottom