MS400 Spare parts list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Mike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Outlander
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Has anyone developed a list of spare parts they carry onboard for a MS 400 with a single Yanmar?

I carry a comprehensive tool bag with most mechanical tools and a VOM and clamp on ammeter.

For spares I carry an impeller and a belt for the engine and generator. There isn't much I can think of for the boat itself. I have rarely needed any parts for it.

But if you are going to be cruising long term and particularly in some place where parts will be difficult to get like the Bahamas, I would carry a rebuild kit for the fresh water pump or maybe the pump itself and maybe a spare macerator pump.

David

Belts - eng alt
Raw water impellers - eng & gen + puller for main + ring compressor to ease reinstall
Oil filter(s)
Fuel filters - primary Racor + secondary Yanmar + gen racor
I'm changing coolant so will have a used Tstat to put in the parts box
At least one set of eng anodes
Changing air pre-heaters and will cut element off old and save plugs.
Head rebuild kit (atbleasy when traveling)
Bow/stern thruster props & anodes (I upgraded to the new style and saved old)
I replaced a few raw water strainer housings that were cracked... order a full set and still have a few that haven't needed replacing yet
Spare A/C pump
The usual bag of hose clamps & PEX ftgs... but usually don't have what I need... the 14mm are only avail from marina/ marine supply
Lube oil, tyranny fluid,

We spend a lot of time in the Bahamas so....everything listed above (especially the macerator pump) plus:

Fuel pump for genset
Assorted relays for genset
Start relay for main engines
Various hose elbows for both genset and mains.
Spare Bilge pump
Raw water pump rebuild kit for mains
Gasket material
Windlass switch
Windlass contactor/relay
Fridge fan (2)
Auto pilot control head (an old one with the screen out but still works)
Dinghy motor parts (various)
Hypalon glue and patches

Don and Doug have good inventory plans. I like to look at having a spare for anything that will be a significant inconvenience if it failed and didn't have a spare, like a water pump.

I also could argue to have a lot of small hardware items, screws, clamps, eye bolts, loops, rivets, electrical stuff including wire, solder, glue, epoxy, etc. I use the little 8x12 boxes with ~30 compartments for storing them and have several of them.

For things that might be a minor inconvenince, especially bulky or really expensive stuff when you can get it reasonably quick I'll pass on.

Another thought.....

If I buy a spare pump, alternator, starter, etc and don't know the history of the current one, I'll replace with the new and use the old one as a spare, knowing it works and if I use one I'll buy another new one, etc., etc.

Back
Top Bottom