My confidence is being effected.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
My boating "enjoyment" is being diminished somewhat by my confidence. Im not loosing confidence in myself, its a loss of confidence in my boat. As I approach my 60th year on this earth I seem to becoming less and less tolerant to the various issues cruisers have to deal with as part of this lifestyle. I worded it this way to the admiral - If my confidence, say concerning the generator, is very low, that in itself adds an undesirable level of stress to what is supposed to fun, "will the generator actually work today when we get to our anchorage spot?".hell I sure hope so... things like that take the fun outta cruising and if you have to cross your fingers every time you press that button?.where do you draw the line? Now, I baby the various systems on our boat and beings a retired Aerospace Systems Engineer specializing in failure analysis, i absolutely understand how and why things fail and because of this i do as much as humanly possible to prevent failures from happening. But as i begin to think about the upcoming trek south it just sorta seems less fun or even kinda dreading it. Sorry to be such a downer..

the boat eroding break all the time and unpredictable

If it is just the generator that is concerning you then find a good mechanic on your brand of generator and have them come do a complete service on the generator. Tell them that you want it to be very reliable and therefore replace whatever is needed. It may be expensive but if it restores your confidence in it then it will be worthwhile.

Is this anxiety purely boat focused, or more general? If it`s just the boat, why? If it`s more general, look for a reason.
It sounds like you are transposing something related to your occupation. If you think about it rationally, you are probably already doing reasonable precautionary maintenance and checks. If thinking about it rationally doesn`t help,look further afield.
You can just start the genset before leaving the dock, if it starts it`s more likely to start when you reach the day`s destination. But if the genset is just one example of many, there could be more to it. Question whether doing something causing enough anxiety to post about it for help is worth doing, or whether to do something about the anxiety.

Have you been having multiple failures to cause this anxiety ? When we are traveling my confidence in the boat and systems do not cross my mind. The only anxiety i have is with other boats who seem to want to run head on instead of adjusting there coarse and ferries that always seem to be running faster then i think they are. I do stay ahead of maintenance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom