My confidence is being effected.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still reasonably confident... that something else on the boat will break, without regard to routine maintenance and our relatively aggressive service schedule.

-Chris

Is confidence the same as losing interest?
I sold the Harley two years ago for that interest as I did lose confidence in my ability to hold it up and not crash. There was the loss of interest associated, no longer eager to hit the road.

Greetings,
Messrs. J (OP) and r (your post #31). A further explanation of my post (#14)...

Mr. J stated "...i do as much as humanly possible to prevent failures from happening."
Mr. r. stated "...that something else on the boat will break, without regard to routine maintenance."

There reaches a point where one HAS to say "F*..k it" and go boating or simply end the agony (of worry) by changing boats (as Mr./Dr. H did) or leave boating. Whatever is going to happen will NOT be the result of not having done everything possible to prevent an incident. It will just happen and one deals with it IF and WHEN. Call Sea Tow and/or whip out the credit card. In the mean time, one enjoys oneself without the worry.

About the only quote I remember from reading 7 Years in Tibet is:

1727903929343.jpeg

KISS-Keep it simple, sailor.

My confidence continues to rise as I go through more and more of this boat fixing, repairing, replacing and upgrading.

Many "what was he thinking" issues seen and solved. My handling skills improve with each trip.

But hey, I have it easy eh? Only had it now coming up on 3 years. Still doing the delta, still looking to do the Sacramento week. Still need to get the admiral trained. She is the one who needs more confidence - :)

No plans for international travel. I hope she doesn't read this stuff...

Diminishing confidence is not usual and I find, at age 73, it's creeping in.
So I too, am looking to simplify systems. The Genset, which I built and installed 20 years ago, seems now to require quite a bit of maintenance. I've just replaced the starter motor as a solenoid alone wasn't available. This was a p in the a due to very difficult access to that side of the engine. My own fault entirely. So....next time there's a problem, it's coming out! I have a propane stove, diesel heating , a 100amp (24V) alternator on the main, shore power charger and 200W of solar. I'll double the solar, which is adequate in summer as is, and eventually change to a LiFePo4 house bank.
The upside of this will be a lighter, more balanced boat that may just burn a little less fuel!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom