My Experience with Victron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not read all of the responses but my Victron Multi-Plus quickly goes through the bulk, absorb, float routine anytime I switch from shore power to local power. Turn off the shore power, turn it back on, and it does its thing. Now, my house bank is FLA batts so that may be the difference. No problems on the hook either. I also have a Victron 30amp charger that works my AGMs. Seems to function flawlessly.

I have not read all of the responses but my Victron Multi-Plus quickly goes through the bulk, absorb, float routine anytime I switch from shore power to local power. Turn off the shore power, turn it back on, and it does its thing. Now, my house bank is FLA batts so that may be the difference. No problems on the hook either. I also have a Victron 30amp charger that works my AGMs. Seems to function flawlessly.

I really think the root of the problem is his low current draw compared to his bank size.

From the posts it appears that he is running about a 100 hour current draw, yet waking up in the morning with a still too full bank for the charger to think the batteries need recharged.

My Victron Multiplus system works by contrast perfectly. I have a approx 20 hour current draw on my bank and wake up to a bank that needs recharging. I turn on the generator and go right into a over 190 amp charge into the batteries with the stacked chargers at 100% output.

A couple of hours of generator run time and I'm up to snuff at around 85-88% at which point I'm well into absorption mode and down to around 100 amps into the batteries.

Last edited:
I like the Victron gear I've put in for the most part. But the Multiplus charge algorithm does need work. Compared to the (rather good) charge algorithm in the Victron MPPT controllers, the Multiplus one is crap. If they could make the re-bulk voltage adjustable like it is on the MPPTs, that would be great. And if they could add an option to end absorption based on tail current, that would fix the other big flaw (in my case, it often stays in absorption too long in the adaptive mode).

Thanks TP for starting the thread. Although we’ll discussed by TT, going down the rabbit hole is not necessary for all of us. We are serious cruisers. Safety, good maintenance and top notch navigation rule for us. Electronics concerns can be very frustrating for many. To that end and only by choice, inverter chargers chargers need not be complicated.

Once the peripherals are set up and batteries in place an IC should be plug and play. Our old Magnum 2812 went to a dumpster due to electronics aging disease. A new identical unit was delivered via USPS to a remote location and bolted in. Two hours later it fired up perfectly. No dealer phone calls, no getting into apps or instructions. Just hit invert and away we went.

The above is not an advertisement for Magnum but a statement for KISS. Victron is a great product and perfect for fiddlers and those who enjoy reading manuals and installing gizmos to make it work. That is not us.

I’ve different agendas, today is air cleaner and fuel filter servicing. The charger is working perfectly and will get trashed when it doesn’t. Oh oh, the Sitka rain has stopped and sun is out.Do I really want to go to the ER

Last edited:
we have had a victron multi-plus for 10 years. we haul the boat in the summer and battery is on victron for maintenance during summer. during cruising we anchor out a lot and wake up to 12.2v in the morning. generator goes on for an hour and then another hour pm to heat up water for showers. never had a problem. we replaced the lead acid batteries once. i have played with their pc app, especially for the summer. btw we have another boat with a magnum and have no issues with that either.

John

The question is what does it do if the battery is 30% discharged. It goes absorption to float in a few minutes and does not charge the battery unless you reset the Multiplus. After being underway with the bank fully charge and connecting shore power, it generally goes to float very quickly as it should.

Tom

Last Fall when our Trace inverter died, I took our electrician’s advice and went the 3000 Multiplus route. I was attracted to it’s advanced features including connectivity, and really like pulling up my system remotely on my phone app. Actually I can’t imagine not being able to do so.

6 mos after our install the inverter flat out quit. My electrician got on the Victron forums, and from his home directed me to disconnect power, then unplug the Ethernet connection to our Cerbo for 5 minutes. Like magic it came back to life, but I am left wondering how fragile it is in general.

I tried to persuade my electrician to go the Firefly route with our battery upgrade, but he was not convinced it was a proven product, so I have a 1200 AH Lifeline AGM battery bank.

With my less than expert understanding, my reaction to Tom’s post was he has a robust battery bank that only requires recharging every 2 days—- why not enjoy your Firefly’s design and run them down to 50% or even lower before firing up your Genny?

Cheers

Last edited:
John

The question is what does it do if the battery is 30% discharged. It goes absorption to float in a few minutes and does not charge the battery unless you reset the Multiplus. After being underway with the bank fully charge and connecting shore power, it generally goes to float very quickly as it should.

Tom

It really does seem like something is wrong with that unit. At 30% discharged, it should accept pretty much the full capacity of the charger for awhile in bulk, before going to absorb. That is what my Multiplus Compact does.

MPSTAN,

I can deal with the charger while I am on the boat during the summer. What I can't deal with is a series of short power outages resulting in the battery bank being at a partial state of charge for an extended period of time. This is fine for LFP batteries but not for a lead acid type battery.

What really gets me disturbed by Victron, is they keep telling me how the Multiplus works, but don't ever acknowledge that their technical and advertising documentation doesn't match. Victron is permanently off my list of vendors because you can't trust their documentation or their support structure.

Tom

Thought I would hijack this thread with my own Victron issue that’s cropped up. My recent install included a Multi 3000 inverter, Cerbo, and touch display, as well as a new 1200 AH Lifeline AGM battery bank. My electrician had to come back and work on the inverter settings shortly after…….. would only put out 80A in bulk charging. I understand it should be able to do 120A. That tweak worked. I thought.

We anchored, for our first time, yesterday afternoon. By evening we were at 65% , so I fired up the Gen. Inverter put out well, around 110A, and I was up to 85% within an hour.

From evening until 6AM our display went from 85 to 22% state of charge. That was with roughly a 15A draw, which I don’t understand but that’s another issue. With the Gen on, again inverter started bulk charging but at around 50% SOC it backed off to float, putting out a meager 20A. Last night it didn’t drop to float until 89% SOC, properly.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
What was the charge rate when it switched to float voltage? Do you have the smart shunt or a 7xx installed?

It should be set to continue absorb voltage until charge drops to about 6 amps on that size bank. The Multi alone isn't very accurate at measuring charge amperage.

I would start by ignoring the reported SOC, and just look at volts and amps. In the AM after a night on anchor, what is the bank voltage? And what is the voltage when the charge current starts to reduce from max?

For those considering a Magnum inverter:

I had a Magnum 2812 experience a melt down causing extensive damage to my boat in 2016.* We were on a dock, Big Bay BC with no electricity, no AC devices running and we were asleep.* Woke up to the smoke detector and the smell of smoke around 3 am.* Boat was full of smoke that smelled like burning plastic.* Though there were no flames coming out of the inverter, sparks, hot air and smoke was pouring out of the inverters grill.* The inverter had not shut down or melted the fuse.* I had to undo the cable at the battery to shut the unit down.* It took several minutes for the inverter to stop sputtering.* The exterior paint had burned off and the exterior was black..

Spent three days cleaning the boat at Squirrell Cove BC.* The entire salon was covered in sticky black soot.* We fortunately had a back up inverter hooked up so switching over was easy.

The Magnum inverter was still on warranty so I contacted Magnum and they said to bring it in.* Magnum tech said he had never heard of one of their inverters self destruct like that.* He asked questions about the size and length of the battery cable, size of fuse, size of battery bank and my installation experience.* When I told him that I sold and installed inverters and I was a Magnum dealer, he backed off.

Removed the inverter after our return and took it to Magnum in Lynnwood.* Instead of going into the Magnum building, the tech told me to wait for him in the parking lot.* He came out with a boxed replacement inverter and took mine into the building.* I opened the replacement inverters box and the inverter had a dent on the top of the case.* When the tech came out with my paperwork I pointed out the dent.* He explained that warranty replacement inverters are "Remanufactured" and showed me the label identifying it as a reman.* I raised a fuss since I used my inverter as a demo with clients and how was I going to explain to the client why I was demoing a remanufactured inverter with a dent.* They gave me a different undented remanufactured inverter.* The tech said again that Magnum has not had any meltdowns on inverters and mine was the only one.* I asked about the consequential damage to my boat and the tech refered me up the ladder to a manager, who eventually agreed to cover the damage repair.

A month later, I was walking across the parking lot at my yacht club, when I see a member loading a burnt up inverter into his truck.* He had the same meltdown happen to him while boating.* He had spoken to Magnum and of course they said that his was the first to experience a meltdown.* We compared notes and the serial number on his inverter was about 50 units older than mine and installed within 6 months of each other.* His was installed by an ABYC certified electrician.

Upon researching the internet, found several more instances of 2812 meltdowns on boats and RV's.

I sold the remanufactured Magnum 2812 on Craig's List immediately, severed my ties with Magnum and began selling Victron Energy inverters, which are more advanced.* I had to repaint the salon and electrical space, replace all the switches, breakers, meters and wiring that was burned, melted or smoke damaged and installed a Victron inverter along with a Victron isolation transformer.* My previous transformer was not damaged but I wanted to have the Victron transformer for its features.

Magnum agreed to reimburse me for the materials to repair the damage, cleanup and my labor which was over 80 hours.*

I bought back every Magnum 2812 that I sold to clients and replaced them with an equivalent Victron inverter at no cost to my clients.* Though the inverter meltdown was not my responsibility, I would have felt really bad if a client had that happen to them.* Luckily, all except two inverters were owner installed and I only had to physically swap out those two.* Sold all the Magnums on Craig's List.

It took me two years to complete the repairs after the fire due to health, vacations and other complications.* By that time, the Lynwood Magnum office staff had been reduced and the service/warranty department moved.* Sensata, a large international firm, had purchased Magnum, a small manufacturer.* I had to contact Sensata to file my damage repair claim.* They had no record of my warranty replacement.* I emailed them all the emails that had been exchanged after the meltdown, the exchange invoice, an email that Magnum had sent me promising to pay for the repair.* Magnum probably did not report the meltdown to parent company Sensata or lost the files during the merge.* They sent me a check after some negotiating and threats.

Last edited:
I've been selling Victron products for 5 years and have not had a defective return or any issues from a client.

The Victron customer service is nonexistant. The distributors and dealers perform those tasks. I'm lucky to have a distributor with a knowledgeable tech guy. He answers my clients questions and have solved issues while clients are cruising and experience issues.

Many boaters buy Victron at a low price from Fisheries or the internet and when encountering installation or operating issues have no place to turn for solutions.

Sometimes it pays to spend a bit more with a vendor that provides support.

I would start by ignoring the reported SOC, and just look at volts and amps. In the AM after a night on anchor, what is the bank voltage? And what is the voltage when the charge current starts to reduce from max?

DDW and twisted tree: I have a Victron smart shunt installed. I don’t recall the volts at minimum SOC this morning, will watch for that. Trying to attach a pic of my display before I shut my Gen down. But was at 30A at 65%

Attachments

• 1322EE33-14D7-42B6-9C14-A0E4F4DA1744.jpg
    1322EE33-14D7-42B6-9C14-A0E4F4DA1744.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If you are buying a Victron inverter, make sure to purchase a MK3 - USB interface to simplify programming and troubleshooting.

I insist my clients buy one with their inverter purchase. Assisting clients remotely on the phone is a lot easier with it.

If you are buying a Victron inverter, make sure to purchase a MK3 - USB interface to simplify programming and troubleshooting.

I insist my clients buy one with their inverter purchase. Assisting clients remotely on the phone is a lot easier with it.

I would gladly add this. Can it connect to the Cerbo?

I would gladly add this. Can it connect to the Cerbo?

The Cerbo has the capability to connect to the MK3 USB but I don't think that Victron Connect has the ability to control it.

The Cerbo has it's own method of connecting to other devices and firmware upgrades.

Download the Victron Connect manual and see if it does. Or look in your Cerbus manual.

Thought I would hijack this thread with my own Victron issue that’s cropped up. My recent install included a Multi 3000 inverter, Cerbo, and touch display, as well as a new 1200 AH Lifeline AGM battery bank. My electrician had to come back and work on the inverter settings shortly after…….. would only put out 80A in bulk charging. I understand it should be able to do 120A. That tweak worked. I thought.

We anchored, for our first time, yesterday afternoon. By evening we were at 65% , so I fired up the Gen. Inverter put out well, around 110A, and I was up to 85% within an hour.

From evening until 6AM our display went from 85 to 22% state of charge. That was with roughly a 15A draw, which I don’t understand but that’s another issue. With the Gen on, again inverter started bulk charging but at around 50% SOC it backed off to float, putting out a meager 20A. Last night it didn’t drop to float until 89% SOC, properly.

Thoughts?

MPSTAN. I would look at what amp hours are programmed into the system. It sounds like maybe the entry is something much less than the actual capacity of the battery bank.

The Cerbo should be connected to the Multi, so you can use the Mk3 USB connected to the Cerbo to program the Multi. Victron Connect won't really do it yet, you need Victron Configure. Some models of Multi seem to require connecting the Mk3 USB directly to them, this is hidden in what Victron calls "documentation". My Multi Compact could have nothing else on the Ve bus when you configure it.

MPSTAN

This is where you need to know the Victron charging logic, which is unknowable until you experience it. I assume the installer chose the lithium battery type. After that I can’t help you since I have only experienced the lead acid charging logic.

Tom

If you have a Cerbo connected to a Multiplus, you can use remote VEConfigure through the VRM portal if you've got the Cerbo online and talking to VRM. You can also push firmware updates that way now (provided everything is above a certain version), so it's possible to get along without the MK3-USB in some cases.

Thoughts?

The problem is with the settings in your Victron battery monitor.

Why??

Because it is incorrectly reading State Of Charge.

The charger which uses voltage to determine it's charging mode appears from your description to be working.

Reviving an old thread...

I have a Multiplus II, with a BMV-712, 600amp Lifeline house bank. I've given up getting it to go into bulk mode and have to force Absorption by going into "Advanced/equalization/then interrupt/go to Absorption". Otherwise even if the batteries are at 58% it will quickly going Float.

Storage mode was a nightmare until I turned it off. DVCC is on, sharing temp and voltages.

I've set the battery charge voltages according to Lifeline's tech manual.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd appreciate it. This inverter while advanced, just does not work anywhere nearly as well as the Phoenix I have on my start bank.

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.jpg
    Screenshot 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 17
My solution is to turn it off, wait till you hear the relay drop, then turn it back on. That resets it to bulk. 4 years ago I questioned Victron on this, their response was that was the way it works, even if it goes to float it will still provide all the amps to the batteries they want, which it doesn’t. I gave up arguing with them that their charging profile was dumb. Maybe if enough people tell them that they will change it.

Tom

Thx. I think they are so oriented to LiPo using their batteries, that the rest doesn't matter.
Forcing absorption gets it to charge ok, but what a PITA. I may just get another Phoenix for the house bank...

Reviving an old thread...

I have a Multiplus II, with a BMV-712, 600amp Lifeline house bank. I've given up getting it to go into bulk mode and have to force Absorption by going into "Advanced/equalization/then interrupt/go to Absorption". Otherwise even if the batteries are at 58% it will quickly going Float.

Storage mode was a nightmare until I turned it off. DVCC is on, sharing temp and voltages.

I've set the battery charge voltages according to Lifeline's tech manual.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd appreciate it. This inverter while advanced, just does not work anywhere nearly as well as the Phoenix I have on my start bank.
Question...

When you first apply shore or generator power what is your SOC on your BMV?

Again when you first apply shore or generator power does your multiplus go into bulk, and then quickly switch to absorption or does it just go into absorption with never going to bulk?

The SOC this morning was 68%. It sometimes goes into Absorption and stays there, sometimes directly into float (often with shore power). This morning it went into absorption then after a half hour went into float. I can't get it to go into Bulk at all, even with a 55% SOC.

The SOC this morning was 68%. It sometimes goes into Absorption and stays there, sometimes directly into float (often with shore power). This morning it went into absorption then after a half hour went into float. I can't get it to go into Bulk at all, even with a 55% SOC.
OK, this morning when it first went into absorbsion, what was the voltage the batteries were showing?

This is important because it should go into absorbsion at 14.30 volts according to the photos you attached to your previous post.

Back
Top Bottom