My new GE 12V fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
CHiTON
Vessel Make
Tung Hwa Clipper 30
After deciding to add a pure sine wave inverter large enough for my induction stove and a "dorm room" size 120V fridge, I came across a relatively recent model of 12V fridge by GE. Although not as cheap as the little dorm fridges, the GE was still fairly cheap. Prices were all over the place, from $413 in West Palm Beach, FL to over $1,000. GE list price is $940.

It looks like this model has only been around for a couple of years and I couldn't find any meaningful reviews. The GE website had some vague responses to questions, but was not helpful. I looked closely at the few photos that were available online and decided to pull the trigger. Ended up paying under $700 with tax and shipping to the dock. So I went 12V after all for the fridge.

It replaced a 1981 vintage AC/DC Norcold 704 (4 cu. ft.?). The Norcold still ran, but the insides were rusty and stained. It occasionally made a noise like an old man getting out of a chair. Looked like time to retire. The opening was 24 inches wide so it had to be enlarged by 5/8 inch. Other than that, no modifications required for the GE 5.6 cu. ft. replacement. I did add a larger vent to outside fresh air in the rear of the cabinet.

The coil and compressor fit in a covered compartment at the rear. Perforations allow a muffin fan to draw air in over the enclosed coils. The air is then directed over the compressor and blown out underneath and forward. The fan turns off when the compressor turns off (no time delay) and I thought that might leave hot coils/compressor in the compartment. Turns out that the fan is efficient enough that the coils and compressor barely get warm to the touch. Also quiet. I first thought I had been sent a defective unit. Almost put my fingers in the fan to check.

The interior setup is exactly what we use when cruising. It has a small (i.e., silly) freezer and the owner's manual says it is for the temporary storage of frozen items. Meaning, I assume, you can keep a TV dinner in it for a couple of days, after which you have to decide whether you want to chance that the freezer has kept things uniformly frozen. We never used the Norcold freezer for frozen food storage for just that reason. We fill the freezer with Blue Ice packs so that we can turn it off overnight and keep the regular fridge cold, even for all the next day.

The only electrical specification given online was "9 Amps." That is apparently max draw and only gives a clue for fuse/breaker size. The most I ever saw on my battery monitor was 7-8 amps. No yellow energy sticker, but who cares? It is what my battery monitor reads that matters, not a factory test or Ohm's law. Preliminary results indicate that, although the GE is 30% larger, it uses 30% less amps than the Norcold. I've left the battery charger off and the fridge as the only thing left on (except bilge pump) and will have a better idea of usage in a couple of days.

Of course nobody will be getting into the fridge and it is cold out now, but I tested the Norcold recently under the same conditions. Still it won't be a real world test.

I do expect it will be better in a real world situation for one reason. It has a crisper drawer on the bottom. When opening the Norcold, all of the cold air dropped out. The GE doesn't do that. In fact, I'm going to look for the right size plastic storage bins that fit the fridge and help stop all the cold air from falling out every time the door is opened.

Oh, it has a light and a real stainless steel front. That's fancy for our style of boating.

Here are some pictures. I had less than an inch getting it through the door.

Attachments

• 20211214_141037.jpg
    20211214_141037.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211217_122521.jpg
    20211217_122521.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 65
An inch is a lot, we brought a household refer into a previous boat with 1/16” clearance. But it did fit.

it's about time that other manufacturers are making 12 volt options. maybe the price will start to come down.
even with this ge offering, the 12 volt units are still double the cost of the same 120 volt unit.
a couple of months ago i canceled an order for a new nova kool as i found another fridge locally. i had been waiting four months already, and was expecting it to be another couple of months before i could take delivery. this little ge looks to be in stock at a few locations. might be a good sign?

I just replaced my reliable old Dometic 6 cu ft with an 8 ch ft Vitrifrigo, but I kept the old crisper drawers from the Dometic. Let me know what would fit in your new GE. Might save you a couple of bucks.

Could I ask where you bought it, I am looking to replace a Norcold fridge.
thank you

I just purchased a 160L (6 cuFt) 12V Fridge from a local source. We found it online at home depot, and then found a cheaper source locally.

They are listed as "Solar Fridges"

I have just completed running some tests on it and it performs WAY BETTER than I imagined.
33Ah for 24 hours at setting "4" (On the cold side of middle position)
52Ah for 24 hours at setting "7" (Maximum)

Tests were conducted at room temperature. It will use a little more power on a hot day, and I would like to repeat my tests in the summer just because....I am a data nerd...LOL ;)

Considering my house system is on solar, and I get plenty of solar power during the day, my battery bank will only be required to to give up 26Ah in a 12 hour period overnight if I run the fridge at the highest setting (300Ah house system).

I have not compiled all my test data and photos yet. I will get to showing all this on my build thread in the Taiwanese Trawler section after I get all caught up on my other projects
Canada:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/un...-danfoss-secop-compressor-in-white/1001188238

USA:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-...ecop-Compressor-in-White-UGP-170L-W/306705246

Last edited:
I bought it from the RV Parts House, but I just went back to their site and it's now listed at $850. Mine was drop shipped directly from GE. It could be that they were seeing what kind of reaction they would get at $699 and decided to up the price.

Back
Top Bottom