NC Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some marinas have narrow fairways and you may be docking next to another boat. This is a more difficult situation than wide fairways and no other boat in the slip.

I'm thinking mostly of docking stern to. Bow in is usually just a matter of pointing the bow towards the center of the slip and going in before the current (or wind) gets to you. The problem with docking bow in is that you may have a 30' boat and a 20' finger pier. It's nice to be able to get on and off the boat without gymnastics.

If your boat is difficult to control, they may give you an "easy" slip if you ask.

Go to Homer Smith Marina and avoid the current. The prices is right and you may even get some free shrimp. Its only about a three block walk to the city docks.

Did he say where he's docking? Or did we assume Beaufort Docks? There, wouldn't he be side tie?

I haven't docked in Beaufort Yacht Basin yet. But less current there.

Last edited:
Did he say where he's docking? Or did we assume Beaufort Docks? There, wouldn't he be side tie.

If he has a 100' yacht he would be given a side tie. If he has a 30' boat, most likely he would be put in an inside slip.

If he has a 100' yacht he would be given a side tie. If he has a 30' boat, most likely he would be put in an inside slip.

He doesn't have a 30' boat. He has a 43' boat. Does that get an inside slip? I was under the impression not.

Beaufort Docks usually saves the T heads for 80-100 footers.

But maybe we are super cautious because our last boat was a 7kt boat....and we got to see two damaging landings. Not hard to arrive close to slack if you plan well. Better safe than sorry for us.

He doesn't have a 30' boat. He has a 43' boat. Does that get an inside slip? I was under the impression not.

I suspect it has something to do with what's available at the time and what he asks for. The ones I have seen on the T heads have been really large boats. They get a lot of really big boats doing the outside and just stopping in for fuel and one night's dockage.

I suspect it has something to do with what's available at the time and what he asks for. The ones I have seen on the T heads have been really large boats. They get a lot of really big boats doing the outside and just stopping in for fuel and one night's dockage.

How big are the inside slips? I didn't know they were that large.

How big are the inside slips? I didn't know they were that large.

I don't remember. If I were to guess I would say the finger piers are 35' or so and they are double slips. Two boats between two finger piers. It's been more than a year and many marinas since I've been there.

I don't remember. If I were to guess I would say the finger piers are 35' or so and they are double slips. Two boats between two finger piers. It's been more than a year and many marinas since I've been there.

Much to my surprise, I went on the GIS maps and measured slips there and came up with some 50' and more. So, inside does look likely. Still I'd call the marina in advance and make a reservation and see where they plan to put you and even see if you can change it. Measurements on GIS are not guaranteed and I've never used them on docks, but I've used them often measuring lots and canals and they've always been accurate.

If you get there and conditions are too bad, just say so and ask for the end or makes sure dock hands will be there to help or go to another marina. Don't try something you are not comfortable with.

In the last two months, we have been coming to our boat every other weekend in New Bern from Elon, NC. We have been getting to the boat on Fridays and going home on Mondays, staying on the boat three nights.

We have been staying Friday nights in NB, cruising somewhere on Saturday and staying there Saturday night, then cruising back to NB on Sunday where we stayed in NB on Sunday night before going home on Monday.

So far we have been to Oriental twice, Beaufort twice, River Dunes once and Morehead City once. Now we are feeling like we want to explore more and are thinking about moving south slowly.

It looks like Swansboro is a good area to stay after leaving NB but I called a couple of the marinas and neither of them will rent me a slip for 2 or 4 weeks, only nightly which is too expensive.

Am I on the right track with this process? Anything wrong with my plan? Should I just continue to call until I find a marina to rent me a slip for 2 weeks or a month?

I like the idea of cruising 30-50 miles 1-2 days every other weekend which means we should leave the boat somewhere for two weeks until our next return.

I'm a bit surprised Caspers Marina wouldn't give you a weekly rate or at least negotiate. It's not like the slips are full. Dudley's Marina is less than a dollar a foot, I believe.

In the last two months, we have been coming to our boat every other weekend in New Bern from Elon, NC. We have been getting to the boat on Fridays and going home on Mondays, staying on the boat three nights.

We have been staying Friday nights in NB, cruising somewhere on Saturday and staying there Saturday night, then cruising back to NB on Sunday where we stayed in NB on Sunday night before going home on Monday.

So far we have been to Oriental twice, Beaufort twice, River Dunes once and Morehead City once. Now we are feeling like we want to explore more and are thinking about moving south slowly.

It looks like Swansboro is a good area to stay after leaving NB but I called a couple of the marinas and neither of them will rent me a slip for 2 or 4 weeks, only nightly which is too expensive.

Am I on the right track with this process? Anything wrong with my plan? Should I just continue to call until I find a marina to rent me a slip for 2 weeks or a month?

I like the idea of cruising 30-50 miles 1-2 days every other weekend which means we should leave the boat somewhere for two weeks until our next return.

is it working for you?

If so, you're on the right track. You're using your boat. I know you wish it could be more, but many use theirs far less. I agree with moving to new locations still within an easy drive. If you don't like one, move, and if you do, stay longer.

I think to get good rates, you may find a need to go at least a month. But a month should be good for you. Gets you three weekends that you'll be there and on the third you move on.

I think your real challenge is going to be what the maximum distance from Cary that works for you.

Washington would be a shorter drive than New Bern.

Wilmington about the same as New Bern.

Myrtle Beach adds an hour.

Norfolk adds about an hour.

So within three hours from your home, you have Norfolk to Myrtle Beach.

is it working for you?

If so, you're on the right track. You're using your boat. I know you wish it could be more, but many use theirs far less. I agree with moving to new locations still within an easy drive. If you don't like one, move, and if you do, stay longer.

I think to get good rates, you may find a need to go at least a month. But a month should be good for you. Gets you three weekends that you'll be there and on the third you move on.

I think your real challenge is going to be what the maximum distance from Cary that works for you.

Washington would be a shorter drive than New Bern.

Wilmington about the same as New Bern.

Myrtle Beach adds an hour.

Norfolk adds about an hour.

So within three hours from your home, you have Norfolk to Myrtle Beach.

Except Elon is in Burlington and not Cary, so add another hour to all your calculations.

Don't think Swansboro. It doesnt really support boats like ours. Short-term MAYBE, BUT THERE ARE NO LONG-term facilities there even close to where you are now. You will need to get to Wrightsville/Carolina Beach/Southport.

Last edited:
Except Elon is in Burlington and not Cary, so add another hour to all your calculations.

Do think Swansboro. It doesnt really support boats like ours. Short-term MAYBE, BUT THERE ARE NO LONG-term facilities there even close to where you are now. You will need to get to Wrightsville/Carolina Beach/Southport.

Yes, I know it well, just picked the wrong forum member. I grew up in Charlotte so use to not being close to the coast.

We live in Camden NC (next to Elizabeth City) We keep out boat in Southport NC, it takes us 4.5 hours non stop to get there. We love southport good water plenty of places close by to visit.

We live in Camden NC (next to Elizabeth City) We keep out boat in Southport NC, it takes us 4.5 hours non stop to get there. We love southport good water plenty of places close by to visit.

Southport is a GREAT choice! Love it there! We've stayed there for a night or two a couple times and it's on the short list for next temporary home ports.

Southport is a GREAT choice! Love it there! We've stayed there for a night or two a couple times and it's on the short list for next temporary home ports.

Let us know when you will be there again and we'll get together

Where do keep your boat in South Port?

I'm a bit surprised Caspers Marina wouldn't give you a weekly rate or at least negotiate. It's not like the slips are full. Dudley's Marina is less than a dollar a foot, I believe.

Casper's clearly doesn't give a sh*t. I don't go there any more. Dudley's isn't really set up for long term but will gladly let you stay for a day or two. Go a little further and Swan Point marina might let you stay as long as you like, but there's nothing there but a restaurant nearby.

Eddie. If you remember, we bought our boat roughly the same time you did and are commuting from Charlotte. We bought the boat in Folly Beach. Kept it there for a month getting work done and exploring Folly. Just last weekend we found a marina in Georgetown, SC that would had monthly rental for $10.15/ ft. On Thursday we boated 3 hrs to Charleston City Marina. Got the free shuttle into town and ate our faces off. The next day we boated 5 1/2 hrs to a little tiny fishing town. I'll look up the name later. The next day we left at 6am. Let me just say that we absolutely hate getting up early, but that area of the ICW is shallow and I didn't want to leave at low tide. 4 hrs later we were in Georgetown, SC. Georgetown is a really cool town between Myrtle and Charleston. So far we love the town and plan to stay for a couple of months. Plus KGGE is less than 10 minutes away.

When we were in Folly, I ran out for batteries. It took me nearly an hour because of traffic. In Georgetown, everything you need is 5 minutes away.

The one thing that sucks is the car shuffle when changing locations. How are you guys doing it? This last time I rented a car and looking back we should have just taken uber. I'd be willing to bet it would have been cheaper and so much easier.

We've been going to the boat early every weekend. We're going to take a week or two off, but I do want to do some work on the boat. We might leave our 3yr old and jump in the plane and go down for a quick weekend. Another big trip for us will be towards the end of Aug. We want to find somewhere to explore like you have been doing.

I think after a month or two, we'll be ready to keep moving north. Myrtle will probably be our next stop. I swear we are going to pass you guys on the ICW someday.

Wifey B: Boating ruined our getting up time. :rolleyes: Part of retirement is sleeping late I thought but part of boating for us is undocking early so we typically leave the dock at 7:00 AM. It gives us more time to travel or more time in the day to spend at the destination. Means getting up at 6:00 or so. Funny thing is I hate that if I'm home and just don't do it, but to go boating, it's fine. :)

Wifey B: Boating ruined our getting up time. :rolleyes: Part of retirement is sleeping late I thought but part of boating for us is undocking early so we typically leave the dock at 7:00 AM. It gives us more time to travel or more time in the day to spend at the destination. Means getting up at 6:00 or so. Funny thing is I hate that if I'm home and just don't do it, but to go boating, it's fine. :)

I will admit that it was nice going up the ICW that early. It wasn't screaming hot and our 3 year old slept for 2 hours of the trip. Once we got to where we were going, we took turns taking naps and were good to go.

It definitely has its advantages.

Eddie. If you remember, we bought our boat roughly the same time you did and are commuting from Charlotte. We bought the boat in Folly Beach. Kept it there for a month getting work done and exploring Folly. Just last weekend we found a marina in Georgetown, SC that would had monthly rental for $10.15/ ft. On Thursday we boated 3 hrs to Charleston City Marina. Got the free shuttle into town and ate our faces off. The next day we boated 5 1/2 hrs to a little tiny fishing town. I'll look up the name later. The next day we left at 6am. Let me just say that we absolutely hate getting up early, but that area of the ICW is shallow and I didn't want to leave at low tide. 4 hrs later we were in Georgetown, SC. Georgetown is a really cool town between Myrtle and Charleston. So far we love the town and plan to stay for a couple of months. Plus KGGE is less than 10 minutes away.

When we were in Folly, I ran out for batteries. It took me nearly an hour because of traffic. In Georgetown, everything you need is 5 minutes away.

The one thing that sucks is the car shuffle when changing locations. How are you guys doing it? This last time I rented a car and looking back we should have just taken uber. I'd be willing to bet it would have been cheaper and so much easier.

We've been going to the boat early every weekend. We're going to take a week or two off, but I do want to do some work on the boat. We might leave our 3yr old and jump in the plane and go down for a quick weekend. Another big trip for us will be towards the end of Aug. We want to find somewhere to explore like you have been doing.

I think after a month or two, we'll be ready to keep moving north. Myrtle will probably be our next stop. I swear we are going to pass you guys on the ICW someday.

Hey Steve!

We have done several overnights but not left out boat anywhere yet so we haven't had the need to do a rental or Uber back to our car or plane, yet.

Our struggle this wee has been finding a marina between Swansboro and South Port who will rent us a slip for a month or two. We are still trying.

Let's stay in touch. Would love to meet up with you guys in our travels.

Hey Steve!

We have done several overnights but not left out boat anywhere yet so we haven't had the need to do a rental or Uber back to our car or plane, yet.

Our struggle this wee has been finding a marina between Swansboro and South Port who will rent us a slip for a month or two. We are still trying.

Let's stay in touch. Would love to meet up with you guys in our travels.

Wow! Are they all full?

Wow! Are they all full?

Some have said they are full at the moment for monthly and some have said they don't do month-to-month. I am still calling.

WifeyB

My admiral awakes at the crack of noon but on the boat 1000 hrs is the time. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom