Need help with a custom solar mount design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
I'm looking for someone to design a custom solar mount for me. I can have someone else build it, perhaps, but the design will be the first step. I would like someone to design this and provide drawings for fabrication.

For this project, I would like to add some panels to the rails on my boat deck that can be vertical while underway and then easily deployed to a horizontal position while at anchor. Of course, if you know of a good off-the-shelf mount, I'm interested in that, too!

The forward flybridge has pros and cons. Our solar panels will be going on the pilothouse roof, but our boat deck is somewhat small. All compromises, eh? The upside of extendable panels is not only convenient location, but also some ability to optimize for the changing sun angle. I see automated panels that track the sun all the time. Guessing the code to control whatever motor drives that angle is readily available. The rest is probably custom work.

I already have some panels on the lid on over my flybridge (I just noticed that my profile pic is out of date). But I need more power! : )

I would be interested too on some off-the-shelf mounts too. I have not found anything I like. My big problem is where to put them without being a PIA. My side life lines come down so I can lower the inflatable and this limits space.

I'm in Washington State, Anacortes/Orcas Island.

S3 maritime in Seattle does some really good custom mounts for solar panels, Starlink etc. My neighbor had both done. They are expensive though.

I'm looking for someone to design a custom solar mount for me. I can have someone else build it, perhaps, but the design will be the first step. I would like someone to design this and provide drawings for fabrication.

For this project, I would like to add some panels to the rails on my boat deck that can be vertical while underway and then easily deployed to a horizontal position while at anchor. Of course, if you know of a good off-the-shelf mount, I'm interested in that, too!
Mikehar, before you go designing, have a look at the NOA range of fittings. They will certainly allow vertical stowing, and horizontal deployment.

This is a bit DIY but I have found it works really well for what I need. I used two Sea-Dog 327199-1 rail mount clips and two pieces of aluminum bar stock 1/8 x 2" x 36" cut to the width of the solar panel. Attach the clamps to the bar stock where you want the solar panel to hinge on the rail and then the bar stock to the solar panel. I use bar stock for reinforcement, you could bolt the clips directly to the solar panel but I think that puts too much stress on the panels.

I choose to put the hinge at the very edge of the panel and then attached a small block of wood about mid way on the panel with a 1/2" hole drilled into it. I use two dowels cut to size to hold the panels up when I want them horizontal and remove them when I want them vertical. The dowels go from the block of wood to the base of the rail. Takes 5 seconds to put up and down. Have left them up in pretty heavy seas with no issues, just need to take them down to fit into the boathouse. If you choose to hinge closer to the middle of the panel you will not need the dowel and you will have the option of choosing the angle you want.

Take a deep dive into some of the innovations available by this Maine canvaser.

Welcome to Gemini Marine Canvas: Quality and service since 1994
AND
Welcome to 30 years of quality and service

They have some stainless steel fittings designed to quickly and easily break down one's canvas dodger or Bimini top. These can easily be adopted to make a rigid PV solar panel rotate up and down. While I did not use that particular fitting type in my design, I did use several of their mounting brackets to make my fixed "rack" for mounting panels.

If you go to our blog Search Results for “solar” – Shellerina's Blog and SEARCH on "solar" you will find 3 different mountings that we used in different spots on our 2000 Mainship 390. (unfortunately some un-related stuff comes up too.)

I have 8 solar panels of 405 Wp each.
4 are on a frame which basically is on the stern of the boat, is flush with the dinghy deck. 1 panel sits on top of the dinghy deck (two sides mounted to the railing, one corner attached to the deck) and then I have 3 panels that either hang flush along the railing (in bad weather) or are folded open in good weather.
For the panels over the stern I had a SS frame welded and the panels simply slide in there after which they are bolted down.
The panels that hang from the railing are attached to the railing by some homemade SS hinges.
Here are the pictures, if you need more detail let me know.
The frame on the stern also acts as a Davits system. We said goodbye to our Honda 15 Hp engine and bought a Mercury Avator 7.5 (which weighs almost nothing), so now we can hoist our dinghy in the 'davits' behind the boat. That gives us a lot of space on the dinghy deck, which we now call the 'sun deck'. Only in winter time do we hoist the dinghy on the dinghy deck, rest of the year it either hangs in the Davits or floats in the water.
Another benefit of the frame on the stern is the added shadow that we now have. We can sit on the stern deck also when the sun is intense, so perfect place for coffee, tea, beer or wine.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.37.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.37.43.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.37.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.37.05.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.36.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.36.31.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.36.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-27 at 17.36.09.jpeg