Need new locks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lCoffey503

Does anyone know what these locks are called? We have a 1986 PT38 with locks but no keys. We tried to get them rekeyed but the locksmith couldn't do. So we would like to get replacements. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
1000004279.jpg
1000004278.jpg

Mine are different, but I have been down that same road. Our three cabin doors all have different keys on a 40 foot boat! 2007 wasn't before the era of keyed alike locks, but apparently it was in the boat world. Crazy. I'm still looking for a solution as the screws appear to only hold the plates on until the sealant/adhesive dries. Removing the screws has no bearing on loosening the plates or assemblies. How did you get your's off?

IMG_8901.jpg

Last edited:
I once had the same problem. I called around and finally found an older locksmith that rekeyed them for me. I can't remember if he made new keys or replaced the tumbler but it worked afterwards. I think I spent a few days calling different locksmiths.

A good locksmith can probably replace the pins in the lock to rekey it and make a new key, if they can find the blanks. I would look for an older lock shop as they probably do more work on locks rather than just replacing them. I used to rekey locks regularly for my business and it isn’t rocket science.

For what it's worth, sometimes you have to get creative looking for replacements - Especially with real locksmiths becoming harder and harder to find. I was having a similar issue with the wing doors on our Hatteras 54' before Hurricane Ian rendered it a non-issue - and moved us back to a dirt house for now. I had just found these on Amazon and confirmed they were "will-fit" replacements, but fortunately I hadn't ordered them before the hurricane. Sometimes the "related products" will be the bolt from the blue miracle you need for that obscure part you're trying to find.

Pacific Doorware Storefront Door Mortise Lock Hook Deadbolt & Cylinder Combo, Adams Rite Cam, in Aluminum (1-1/8" BACKSET)​

Another source that may be overlooked, I had some small successes with this company

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom