Need "Obsolete Parts, 1989 Onan MDKD Diesel Genset with a Kubota diesel eng.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boatcrazy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rozinante
Vessel Make
Taswell 43
We cruise with a 1989 6.5kva Onan MDKD-53CR/26501B marine Genset. It is powered by a Kubota D950-B 3-cyl diesel eng, rated at 21hp, 1500rpm. With some 6200 hours on it, it runs great but has developed visible coolant leaks at the exhaust manifold and around the exhaust elbow. I think I need to replace them, but both parts show up as "obsolete", "not avail". The Exhaust manifold part no is "Onan 154-2475" which I'm told crosses to "179-2582"; the exhaust elbow is "Onan 155-2003". Does anyone have these 2 parts, new or used-but-serviceable, they would be willing to sell? Or know of a supplier somewhere that might have them? The exhaust manifold appears to be a cast piece, the exhaust elbow seems to be a welded fabrication. Replacement with a new genset is an option, but the old would need to be disassembled in place, hauled out in pieces, then a new unit disassembled, carried aboard in pieces, and reassembled in place----not a job I'd look forward to!

Both one of my marina mates and I have the exhaust manifold problem. I was able find a used MDKD and switch gensets. The marina mate sent my cracked manifold to somewhere on the east coast to get the cost to fabricate a new one. Yikes! $3k each. A competent marine exhaust fabricator could make the elbow but the manifold is a different problem. I have a sound enclosure so there isn't much opportunity to vary from the original dimensions. I wish you well. Should you find any I would be interested in at least one myself.

Can't help you with those 2 Parts. But I have found many "light boards" on little trailers use the same Kubota engines. On my last Onan I welded up my own water injection elbow. Not that big a deal.

We cruise with a 1989 6.5kva Onan MDKD-53CR/26501B marine Genset. It is powered by a Kubota D950-B 3-cyl diesel eng, rated at 21hp, 1500rpm. With some 6200 hours on it, it runs great but has developed visible coolant leaks at the exhaust manifold and around the exhaust elbow. I think I need to replace them, but both parts show up as "obsolete", "not avail". The Exhaust manifold part no is "Onan 154-2475" which I'm told crosses to "179-2582"; the exhaust elbow is "Onan 155-2003". Does anyone have these 2 parts, new or used-but-serviceable, they would be willing to sell? Or know of a supplier somewhere that might have them? The exhaust manifold appears to be a cast piece, the exhaust elbow seems to be a welded fabrication. Replacement with a new genset is an option, but the old would need to be disassembled in place, hauled out in pieces, then a new unit disassembled, carried aboard in pieces, and reassembled in place----not a job I'd look forward to!

These guys probably have what you need.
Also, subscribe to Boats and Harbors. Lots of ads in there for engines parts etc etc etc

I have the same generator/engine in my boat. First, be sure it's not just gaskets leaking on the sides of the heat exchanger. The gaskets are both obsolete, but new ones can easily be cut. The Kubota D950 was also marinized by Universal Marine and marketed as the M-25, a sailboat auxiliary. If one of these is available, there is at least a chance it will work. The mixing elbow is not cast and could be welded.

Daniel

'89 Tradewinds '43 MY

In researching parts, I go on eBay. By opening several ads that kind of are worded similar, you can find several European yards selling parts for Kubota. Contact them & ask if they have any parts for your engine, just not advertised because of no demand. Kubota was used in many European whatever's that we never see in the US. DIG,
DIG!

Back
Top Bottom