Need Perkins Sabre M135 exhaust elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
I recently had a boat follow me home. It has a 1979 Perkins M135 Sabre engine. The exhaust elbow is leaking water down on the starter. I've so far been unable to source the new parts I need to fix the problem. I haven't yet removed the elbow, so don't know what is in store there, but I want to have the parts on hand prior to tearing everything apart. I've attached a pic of the part(s) as well as the engine data plate. The two parts plus gaskets I'm looking for are the "S" shaped riser, and the SS water injection module. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: The attach points are all 4 bolts in a square pattern.

Attachments

• Exhaust elbow, close up of attach point to engine manifold.jpg
    Exhaust elbow, close up of attach point to engine manifold.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Exhaust elbow, side view1.jpg
    Exhaust elbow, side view1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Exhaust elbow, side view2.jpg
    Exhaust elbow, side view2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Exhaust elbow, top view.jpg
    Exhaust elbow, top view.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Perkins Engine data plate.jpg
    Perkins Engine data plate.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I don’t think your engine year is correct. Perkins became Perkins Saber in the 1990’s. Anyway try Trans Atlantic Diesel. Also Caterpillar bought up Perkins Saber and may have those parts

Archie, When I google Perkins M135/17, it comes up on multiple sites as a Perkins Sabre.

Using the serial number decoder, the engine shows a build year of 1979, which jibes with the boat model year of 1980. This engine is a normally aspirated (non-turbo) engine.

The serial number decoder below also states that the engine is a Phaser series 1006, more specifically YA in the serial number denotes a 1006-6 series engine. Unfortunately, none of this gets me any closer to finding an exhaust elbow/riser.

I'll keep slogging along here, trying to find the correct parts. Thanks for the input!

I recently had a boat follow me home. It has a 1979 Perkins M135 Sabre engine. The exhaust elbow is leaking water down on the starter. I've so far been unable to source the new parts I need to fix the problem. I haven't yet removed the elbow, so don't know what is in store there, but I want to have the parts on hand prior to tearing everything apart. I've attached a pic of the part(s) as well as the engine data plate. The two parts plus gaskets I'm looking for are the "S" shaped riser, and the SS water injection module. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: The attach points are all 4 bolts in a square pattern.
Check out this company.
No relationship just a happy customer

Cool! Thanks so much. That may solve half the problem, still need to figure out riser from manifold to elbow.

Scot - another thumbs-up for TAD. You'll most likely talk to Sheri, though if you hear a Brit, you have the owner Marcus on the line. Steve D'Antonio once wrote an uncharacteristically glowing review of TAD's machine shop for organization and cleanliness. I've used them for 25-years and never been dissatisfied. I've shed a tear or two due to price, but service has been fair and forthright.

Another source would be Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama (MesaMarine.com). WARNING - they have what might be the worst website on the entire internet. Email or call them marine.exhaust@gmail.com +1-251-928-1234. I had an exhaust elbow fabricated 15-years ago and they did a good job - many choices of allows. You won't like the price there either.

Good luck -

Peter

Push come to shove, a good machine shop can fabricate pretty much anything

Yep, right now, I'm going to concentrate on checking out the running gear, so I can't take off the offending pieces yet. Once I get them off, I will be better able to figure out a plan forward. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom