New Grand Banks owner - UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superheat6k

Vessel Name
Billy Ruffian
Vessel Make
Grand Banks ~Sedan 36
Hi

My proper name is Trevor, and I live in the village of Hamble, near Southampton in the UK.

Having been boating for over 40 of my 61 years, I acquired my Grand Banks Sedan 36 last Friday. My last boat was a slightly smaller pocket trawler, the UK made Corvette 32.

But was a bit too small so I have now graduated to the GB, and hope we will get along very well.

I hope to be active on this forum as I have a huge amount of knowledge, but for the next few months will be on a distinct learning curve for this cracking new to me boat. So please expect a few stupid questions.

Trevor

Welcome and ask away, Trevor! We don’t know it all so everyone should be asking questions from time to time. Many times a GB36 and GB42 gave same or similar systems and components. What year is your 36?

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Welcome, Trevor, and hearty congrats on your new-to-you GB 36. Hope we'll get to see a photo or two sometime. The sedan version is rather uncommon out here in the colonies. Best of luck!

Welcome Trever. You will like the 36. Pictures are always appreciated

Grand Banks Sedan 36

Thank you for the warm welcome.

We looked at the Sedan and decided the extra day space was worth the loss of the aft cabin.

Here are a few photos ...

Attachments

• remote.axd (1).jpeg
    remote.axd (1).jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
  • remote.axd (2).jpeg
    remote.axd (2).jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 43
  • remote.axd (3).jpeg
    remote.axd (3).jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 44
  • remote.axd (4).jpeg
    remote.axd (4).jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 41
  • remote.axd (5).jpeg
    remote.axd (5).jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 41
  • remote.axd (35).jpeg
    remote.axd (35).jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 45
Thank you for the warm welcome.
We looked at the Sedan and decided the extra day space was worth the loss of the aft cabin.
Here are a few photos ...

Yes, the sedan outlay is great for that indoor/outdoor living style. We also kept looking until we found a CHB 34 sedan as well - much rarer back in the day when its hull was laid down in 1975. More than happy to pass on the aft cabin in favour of the large and more usable saloon and cockpit.

For what it's worth, if you were looking to improve that outdoor experience even more, you could do, when able, the same as I had done to ours, and create the covered side decks and cockpit of the later models hard-top versions via frame and canvas. It transformed our boat. See pics. I could provide more details if interested.

Attachments

• 5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 36
  • EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 36
Yes, the sedan outlay is great for that indoor/outdoor living style. We also kept looking until we found a CHB 34 sedan as well - much rarer back in the day when its hull was laid down in 1975. More than happy to pass on the aft cabin in favour of the large and more usable saloon and cockpit.

For what it's worth, if you were looking to improve that outdoor experience even more, you could do, when able, the same as I had done to ours, and create the covered side decks and cockpit of the later models hard-top versions via frame and canvas. It transformed our boat. See pics. I could provide more details if interested.

I nearly bought a Chung Hwa 34, but backed out due to problems f severe neglect. The awnings look good so some more photos would be great, but bear in mind the weather in England doesn't require so much sun cover, although our Summers are improving.

Although she flies a Red Ensign presently, as an ex-Royal Navy man she will soon fly the Blue Ensign.

I nearly bought a Chung Hwa 34, but backed out due to problems f severe neglect. The awnings look good so some more photos would be great, but bear in mind the weather in England doesn't require so much sun cover, although our Summers are improving.

Although she flies a Red Ensign presently, as an ex-Royal Navy man she will soon fly the Blue Ensign.

superheat6k, the benefit from the extra cover does not only relate to sunshine, but wet weather as well. Making it less likely to get window leakage, and so you can get along the side decks, even when it's pelting down, and one can sit outside in the sheltered cockpit. It also means the cockpit floor is not a minor lake making going in and out drier, shall we say..? More pics to follow. Any decent metal frame builder could easily duplicate just from these photos.

Attachments

• E2913EE4-9B99-4F12-B07F-0400FB3703A9_1_105_c.jpeg
    E2913EE4-9B99-4F12-B07F-0400FB3703A9_1_105_c.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 0BA8779C-9669-41DC-BD8E-C192325B4CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    0BA8779C-9669-41DC-BD8E-C192325B4CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 8BC0D9F6-13A9-40E5-B90D-AA45D6F3CDBF_1_105_c.jpeg
    8BC0D9F6-13A9-40E5-B90D-AA45D6F3CDBF_1_105_c.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 29
Check out my blog, grandbankschoices. We have done many upgrades and improvements.

Good luck with the boat.

Hi Trevor welcome to the forum which I have found incredibly helpful over the last few years. I am based in Portsmouth but currently in the French Riviera having taken my 36 classic to France 5 years ago. Maybe see you sometime when I get home.

Attachments

• IMG-20200926-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20200926-WA0007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 26
Grand Banks

Welcome to The Trawler Forum and to Grand Banks ownership. You won't regret it! Great luck and this is the spot for all your marine questions. Be sure to go to the Grand Banks section of this forum and add your story to the GB Roll Call
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 31
Hi

My proper name is Trevor, and I live in the village of Hamble, near Southampton in the UK.

Having been boating for over 40 of my 61 years, I acquired my Grand Banks Sedan 36 last Friday. My last boat was a slightly smaller pocket trawler, the UK made Corvette 32.

But was a bit too small so I have now graduated to the GB, and hope we will get along very well.

I hope to be active on this forum as I have a huge amount of knowledge, but for the next few months will be on a distinct learning curve for this cracking new to me boat. So please expect a few stupid questions.

Trevor
Welcomed to Trawler Forum. I have been using it to help with queries on my President 43. We have just sold our farmhouse in Spain and are now liveaboards. Life is very different as your priorities revolve around sustainability. So batteries, solar power and reliable Genny move up the list. I haven't commented on here before. I, like you, will have many questions over the next few months - so welcome. By the way we have two GB42's moored alongside us in our marina!

Welcome aboard.
Mike from Grimsby. I have a Fairways trawler38, based in our club's marina. See the HCA website.

Welcome. The awnings over the side windows is awesome and well done. I have always wondered if awnings over cabin windows would reduce leaks from heavy rain events, now I know. Thank you!

Welcome. The awnings over the side windows is awesome and well done. I have always wondered if awnings over cabin windows would reduce leaks from heavy rain events, now I know. Thank you!

You're welcome. Doing that turned out to be the best thing we ever did for increased enjoyment of the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom