New member and owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWPederson

Vessel Make
1970 Grand Banks 32
Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bruce and I am the proud new caretaker of a 1970 Grand Banks 32.

I've been a member of this forum for a few months, researching and asking questions to help shape my decision to buy this boat.

I live in the PNW and do all my boating in the San Juan Islands. Born and raised in the area, I've spent most of my life boating.

Years ago, I started my own boating adventures with a 1986 Bayliner 2450. I then upgraded later to a 2009 Bayliner 285. I have found that I no longer want to speed everywhere I'm going and wish to enjoy a nice, comfortable ride. This is one of the main reasons for purchasing the GB32. It has more room and is much more comfortable than the Bayliners.

Yes, I've heard it a lot before that wood boats are a maintenance nightmare. From all my research and questioning of other owners, this mindset either comes from people who bought a boat that was already an issue and thus found it was expensive to have it hauled and repaired or from others who just don't like doing much maintenance on a boat and would prefer to relax and spend their time on the water, which I totally understand. Myself, I am a woodworker and former electrician and enjoy working on projects. Brightwork in the spring? Sure! Repaint the cabin structure? I'm on it! Replace bungs and reseal seams on the deck? Let's get cracking!

My wife and I, at some point, would like to take her up the inside passage to Alaska to explore, and from all I've read she seems to be more than capable of making the trip.

My profile picture is the boat I've bought. I don't have my own personal pictures yet of her as I still need to bring her up from Seattle to Bellingham, hopefully on Friday.

If anyone has advice on Grand Banks or wooden boats, I'm a sponge ready to absorb the information.

Welcome. Bellingham is a great place to keep a boat!

At some point, consider exploring the South Sound. Winter is nice as it is less crowded and if you go down the Swinomish channel you can avoid big weather from the Straits.

Last edited:
Regarding maintenance, has the bottom ever been refastened? I would hope at least once and maybe ready for a second go round.

Welcome. I have never owned a wooden boat but I am sure there is a lot of truth in what you said. If you know the product and willing to stay on top of things then wood boats are great. Sadly many folks don't want to take the time and thus the general reputation of wooden boats.

Good luck with your maiden voyage this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom