New purchase Volvo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on my experience running two boats with Volvos, and that of every other boater I've known who has run them, Volvo's marine power products are trouble-prone and unusually expensive to repair. Every maker of marine diesels has their share of critics, but I can't think of one whose reputation along the waterfront is as uneven as Volvo's, at least here in the Southeastern U.S.

The previous post that described Volvo's practice of fronting engines to boat builders is interesting. That would fit with a strategy of trying to flood the market with product, anticipating a profitable secondary revenue stream from parts sales.

Anyway, when a boat for sale lists Volvo as the engine brand, I immediately stop reading and move on.

Based on my experience running two boats with Volvos, and that of every other boater I've known who has run them, Volvo's marine power products are trouble-prone and unusually expensive to repair. Every maker of marine diesels has their share of critics, but I can't think of one whose reputation along the waterfront is as uneven as Volvo's, at least here in the Southeastern U.S.

The previous post that described Volvo's practice of fronting engines to boat builders is interesting. That would fit with a strategy of trying to flood the market with product, anticipating a profitable secondary revenue stream from parts sales.

Anyway, when a boat for sale lists Volvo as the engine brand, I immediately stop reading and move on.

There are a lot of nice boats out there with Volvos in them. I also immediately click back and skip even looking at them on Yachtworld when they have Volvos. I don’t want to be tempted to even go see the boat if it has Volvos. It is unfortunate but yes they indeed seem to have worked hard to earn this reputation.

Comodave said:
I don’t want to be tempted to even go see the boat if it has Volvos.
Yes and I would also be shy about going to a dealer if I knew they were doing this regularly...
Comodave said:
...they would take parts off a new boat to fix mine.

Yes and I would also be shy about going to a dealer if I knew they were doing this regularly...

Unlike Cummins or Cat, there is not one dedicated VOLVO dealer in North America...that's gotta tell you something.

Volvo must have worked really hard to get this bad of a reputation

I generally avoid piling on here when it comes to Volvo, because there a lot of people who have them, like them, and no issues. I can honestly say I am happy for them because boating has enough inherent headaches to worry about and chasing engine problems is no fun.

Our situation was different. It was painful, from the local dealer all the way up to their corporate office who I took some complaints to. Their poor reputation is well deserved.

They didn’t do it regularly. They did it for me because I worked there.

I have put 600 hours on a 94 KAD42 in the last year. It has been a great motor with no issues. The leg had to be replaced but at 25 years old that is to be expected. Parts here in Canada are easy to get.

Love my Volvo TAMD41P-A! (16 years old, trawler application. Avg. gal/hr. 2.0, 20% of max effort, measured by % WOT gal/hr., low wear factor. Did have carbon build up in exhaust over time, removed, and now going 80% WOT 15-20 min most days on the water to clear carbon.

Tips: Have tanks cleaned and fuel polished, and change filters. I didn’t and rough water stirred up sediment during delivery cruise on boat lightly used in years prior to my purchase. I use mostly Valve-Tect fuel- smoother, quieter.
How the engine been used,? Can you calculate average gallons per hour, percent of effort? See Zimmerman article on engine life based on usage from Passagemaker in the last year or two. Usage may mean more than hours.
The recommendation to have an engine survey - smart. Include transmission and shaft whip, cutlass bearing, etc., anodes. Lastly, cut up fuels you remove, see how dirty your fury and f

Only surveyor can tell you about your potential engine purchase. I hope you find the boat and engine of your dreams!

You can count me as another dissatisfied Volvo owner.... NEVER again.

Just the poor support was the beginning of the problems... I could go on and on, but I think the feeling of the Volvo haters here is significantly more than the Volvo lovers.

Editing my prior note....

Accidentally hit submit too early, before completing and proofing. Amazing I got past 6th grade!

Cut up your ok’d fuel filters to get an idea what condition your fuel and tank may be in....not conclusive, but with enough hours and some sloppy waters, filter surgery will give you some clues about your fuel and tank contents.

I have owned a pair of Volvo TAMD60B's for about 20 years and the engines are close to 40 years old. They currently show about 3800 non-verified hours on the clock (I bought the engines used). The only truly expensive parts I have replaced were turbochargers. I absolutely hate the o-rings in the cooling system and you do have to take good care of the heat exchanger, oil cooler and aftercooler. I installed Racor crankcase breather systems a few years back to help keep crud out of the aftercoolers and that has been helpful. I have not had trouble getting parts so far but I expect if I had to replace the aftercooler I would be out of luck. I redid the electric box on the engines because the original plastic was falling apart and the push on connectors were not as reliable as screw-on terminals. I now have gauges and start-stop buttons in the engine room.
Aftermarket rebuild parts are available at a significant discount compared to the Volvo Penta OEM if needed. Both of my engines run well and start instantly but smoke a lot with a cold start.

I have never owned one however, many of my friends had Volvo Engines (Diesel and gasoline). The engine are good but the maintenance and parts are a bit pricy and is hard to find a mechanic that work on them here in the USA. you should know that maintenance is everything when it comes to diesel.
welcome to TF and best of luck.

I have owned a pair of Volvo TAMD60B's for about 20 years and the engines are close to 40 years old. They currently show about 3800 non-verified hours on the clock (I bought the engines used). The only truly expensive parts I have replaced were turbochargers. I absolutely hate the o-rings in the cooling system and you do have to take good care of the heat exchanger, oil cooler and aftercooler. I installed Racor crankcase breather systems a few years back to help keep crud out of the aftercoolers and that has been helpful. I have not had trouble getting parts so far but I expect if I had to replace the aftercooler I would be out of luck. I redid the electric box on the engines because the original plastic was falling apart and the push on connectors were not as reliable as screw-on terminals. I now have gauges and start-stop buttons in the engine room.
Aftermarket rebuild parts are available at a significant discount compared to the Volvo Penta OEM if needed. Both of my engines run well and start instantly but smoke a lot with a cold start.

Thanks Joe this gives me confidence on how to look after this motor. Can I contact you at a later date if I need first hand knowledge? All so are they easy to work on and I know it depends on the room in the engine bay?

Something for everyone....

TAMD60C here in Klee Wyck.
We have owned the boat and it’s Volvo single main for 9 years.
If you divide a boat into its systems: propulsion, generation, navcom, hull, heating/cooling, etc and then look back at the records to see which of those segments cost me the most and least money and headache, the Volvo propulsion system is the lowest category bar none. She has been pretty steady. We did the coolers when we bought her and that was a bit of a pain and not cheap, but only a starter in the 9 years since, including the gear. I like everything I have experienced about her except her reputation.
Now to cater to the haters, here is a funny/shocking story from yesterday.
About 4:00 PM I get a call from the marina “you around?”. Nope, I am 250 miles away at my other home.
“Well, your boat is running and has been since at least 9:00 AM!”.
Oh dear....
Apparently, someone slid the moon roof open since we were last there. I must not have locked the dogs?
Anyway, the rain must have come in, gotten into the ignition circuit, shorting it and causing her to crank. Being a Volvo she started right up, sat there idling and smoking for the better part of the day. I have no idea what I will see when I do get there in about ten days.
Huge kudos to two parties: Elliott Bay Marina staff were as helpful as I have come to expect. I got them on the boat (it was locked up) and walked them thru getting her shut down (there was no engine key there). They could not get the throttle to shut off the fuel so we resorted to starving her out of fuel (not ideal for sure)
Then Scott at Waterline boats who is marketing her at present, ran down there at what should have been quitting time and took power off the starter so that I could sleep at night until I get there.
Thanks EBM and Scott!
This situation was my fault and nothing to do with the Volvo engine.... but still thought it interesting enough to include here!

Thanks Joe this gives me confidence on how to look after this motor. Can I contact you at a later date if I need first hand knowledge? All so are they easy to work on and I know it depends on the room in the engine bay?

Do you know what fuel economy you get and what knots you cruise at?

TAMD60C here in Klee Wyck.
We have owned the boat and it’s Volvo single main for 9 years.
If you divide a boat into its systems: propulsion, generation, navcom, hull, heating/cooling, etc and then look back at the records to see which of those segments cost me the most and least money and headache, the Volvo propulsion system is the lowest category bar none. She has been pretty steady. We did the coolers when we bought her and that was a bit of a pain and not cheap, but only a starter in the 9 years since, including the gear. I like everything I have experienced about her except her reputation.
Now to cater to the haters, here is a funny/shocking story from yesterday.
About 4:00 PM I get a call from the marina “you around?”. Nope, I am 250 miles away at my other home.
“Well, your boat is running and has been since at least 9:00 AM!”.
Oh dear....
Apparently, someone slid the moon roof open since we were last there. I must not have locked the dogs?
Anyway, the rain must have come in, gotten into the ignition circuit, shorting it and causing her to crank. Being a Volvo she started right up, sat there idling and smoking for the better part of the day. I have no idea what I will see when I do get there in about ten days.
Huge kudos to two parties: Elliott Bay Marina staff were as helpful as I have come to expect. I got them on the boat (it was locked up) and walked them thru getting her shut down (there was no engine key there). They could not get the throttle to shut off the fuel so we resorted to starving her out of fuel (not ideal for sure)
Then Scott at Waterline boats who is marketing her at present, ran down there at what should have been quitting time and took power off the starter so that I could sleep at night until I get there.
Thanks EBM and Scott!
This situation was my fault and nothing to do with the Volvo engine.... but still thought it interesting enough to include here!
Now that's a story to tell the grandchildren

I don't think the key element you face is the brand of engine. You need to know the condition and the history. Like others, I find the "total rebuild" as likely to just be advertising puffery, if not worse, and would want a copy of the invoice. Regardless, I'd want a survey from an experienced Volvo professional.

Happy to provide any info I can. Not sure how PM works on TF

I don't think the key element you face is the brand of engine. You need to know the condition and the history. Like others, I find the "total rebuild" as likely to just be advertising puffery, if not worse, and would want a copy of the invoice. Regardless, I'd want a survey from an experienced Volvo professional.

Thanks for that. I'm going to get the invoices for rebuild

In Australia, the US experience, if that is what earlier posts represent, may not be yours. Here in SW BC, Canada, Volvos generally are well represented in both pleasure and commercial service, have a solid network of dealers/experienced mechanics, and a correspondingly good reputation.
Do your local research.

Exactly, what Keith says. Here in Campbell River, for example, we have an excellent Volvo dealer/repair shop. Our previous vessel had a Volvo with pretty much no issues during our ownership. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another boat if it had Volvo(s), assuming that everything else was to my liking.

IF your tied too dock , dont use your boat , then they are great engines
If you plan on enjoying your boat , STAY AWAY cause the non stop repairs , costly parts , special tools , external pumps will suck the life out of you,
Since covid parts coming into country , short supply

On my boat I have twin 4.3 Gxi Volvo Penta engines , Chevy Vortec engines ,

Had a lot of bad luck with volvo .

RUN FOREST RUN ,

Volvo Diesels

I have read a lot of negative comments about Volvo servicing older models. But my personal experience has been very good. Our models are TAMD 61A, which is of similar vintage. They have run flawlessly, with regular changes of oil, filters and impellers. We keep the boat in Florida and operate 250+ hours a year. We do use a certified Volvo dealer for parts and maintenance and they are not cheap. Maybe my experience will change in the future but so far so good.....

:iagree: Owned two boats 17 and 14 years, routine maintenance, filters from Napa, trouble free engines.

I have 2x250 hp Volvo TAMD 60b and if your need to buy spares pieces it is very difficult, very expensive and the important ones are not produced anymore and it is dificult to manufacture new ones. This link you can see the parts that says "ya no se fabrica" or "no longer manufactured"
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/es/volvo-penta-cat-7742290.aspx
Armando

But... in terms of reliability are very good engines if you have them well maintained. We have it since 25 year ago.... but only 1600 hours

Armando

"Thanks for that. I'm going to get the invoices for rebuild"

The best info will be on the build sheet that lists actual work done , piston overbore size , crank bearing sizes etc.

Obtain rebuild paperwork. No paper then it didn't happen. Evaluate rebuild shop. Get V cert mechanic to evaluate in water. Sea trial performance by qual surveyor. P

I have a couple of Volvo TAMD 60Bs. Now here is the good news. They have over 20,000 hours on them.

Now the bad news. You best have a very large bank account if it breaks down. Parts from Volvo are beyond outrageous. A Fuel Shut off solenoid is $1000 US from Volvo but you can buy one on Ebay for $60. When I fire them up in the morning I risk being fined by the EPA for air pollution. They smoke like, well I can't say how bad they smoke on this forum.

I'm in the process of repowering my boat with Cummins at almost twice the power at the same weight.

I have a couple of Volvo TAMD 60Bs. Now here is the good news. They have over 20,000 hours on them.

Now the bad news. You best have a very large bank account if it breaks down. Parts from Volvo are beyond outrageous. A Fuel Shut off solenoid is $1000 US from Volvo but you can buy one on Ebay for $60. When I fire them up in the morning I risk being fined by the EPA for air pollution. They smoke like, well I can't say how bad they smoke on this forum.

I'm in the process of repowering my boat with Cummins at almost twice the power at the same weight.

Any engine with 20,000 plus hours is past its best before date and operating on borrowed time. Smoke can be controlled if you only have adjustment issues. If your issues are terminal wear on vital parts, you need to get rid of that engine and start over. Don't blame the messenger, or the original builder. You have simply worn it out. you have recognized this and are now in the process of a re-power.

20,000 hours, my, my. And I often see folks musing about whether a 7,000 hour Lehman is ripe for a rebuild.
Any engine with 20,000 plus hours is past its best before date and operating on borrowed time. Smoke can be controlled if you only have adjustment issues. If your issues are terminal wear on vital parts, you need to get rid of that engine and start over. Don't blame the messenger, or the original builder. You have simply worn it out. you have recognized this and are now in the process of a re-power.

Back
Top Bottom