New to me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loxbex

Hi Guys,

i´m from Germany and love to repair and reuse good old stuff that still works fine or again after getting some love - others call it refit or maintainance.

Redesigned my whole Rudder system with constructing Shaft, bearings and other parts.
Refitted my vetis bowthruster without vetus parts, thx to matching industry-parts for a fraction of the maritime price.
Now fiddling around with a used but still working and low cost Autopilot system from simrad. Was able to find a replacement 12V DC Motor for the hydraulic pressure pump, now checking out how to connect everything without spending immense amounts on cables that are not really special except their connectors

Found an interesting Thread here from @Delfin that helped me further than any simrad manual...

My boat ist a 1973 steel pleasure boat built in Koblenz, Germany. 32ft (10m) long 10ft (3.2m) wide, with Flybridge, Double Helm, TAMD31 B engine, python drive.

mt isselmer screenshot.jpg

Cruising german and dutch canals. Therefore need to do some extra miles on river rhine wich only sounds boring to people who never cruised the rhine ;).
I´m very open to share my knowledge and give advice from another point of view, may it be the other side of antlantic ocean oder the metric system :)

Thank you for having me

Welcome aboard.
That is a very large canal in your photo……

You sound like a handy sort of fellow,
I’m curious, what did you refit on the old vetus thruster?

You sound like a handy sort of fellow,
I’m curious, what did you refit on the old vetus thruster?
There’s no maintenance available for this model the „bschroef“. But with some research I found all the bearings, shaftseals and o-rings.

Needless to say that the answer from vetus to my request for spare parts was „not available anymore for this model, but we can offer a new bowthruster“

I spent less than 30€ on the parts, will redo that every 5ish year on planned haul-outs, as it takes about 30 minutes to change the parts.

The groove were the brass shear-pin is doing its job got pretty worn. The Shaft is hard to find, so we welded an recut it. It’s an experiment. Hop it lasts a while.

I love the simple an straight forward design of this gear, it worked fine although there was almost no maintenance for at least 10 years.

It’s connected to a 12V 3kW DC motor. I replaced the Albright-solenoid switch by an identical one from a forklift sparepart dealer… needed a little modification at the holding bracket. That’s it.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.png
    IMG_5623.png
    611 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5620.png
    IMG_5620.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5621.png
    IMG_5621.png
    556 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5622.png
    IMG_5622.png