New to the Trawler lifestyle. Looking for Defever 44, 44+5, or 48 on West Coast or Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolans1998

Hello,

My husband and I have been sailors all of our lives, but we have recently decided we would like to switch to trawlers for more comfort and less work. We are from Arizona, but our home port is San Carlos, Mexico so our search is limited to Mexico and the west coast USA. My husband is 6'4" tall so headroom is a must. I prefer an up galley but could deal with a down galley if there are ample windows. We love the Defever 48, as well as the Defever 44 and 44+5 that are turnkey or close to it, but haven't had luck finding one. Can anyone suggest any other 40-50 foot trawlers that may fit our requirements?

Thanks,
Audi

You need to provide more information. Just the two of you? Where and when (certain seasons; year round) do you plan to cruise? Can you live at 6-8 knots or do you want to go a little faster? Budget? Answers or ranges will help folks on the foum guide you.

Michael
N46, Duchess

Hello,

My husband and I have been sailors all of our lives, but we have recently decided we would like to switch to trawlers for more comfort and less work. We are from Arizona, but our home port is San Carlos, Mexico so our search is limited to Mexico and the west coast USA. My husband is 6'4" tall so headroom is a must. I prefer an up galley but could deal with a down galley if there are ample windows. We love the Defever 48, as well as the Defever 44 and 44+5 that are turnkey or close to it, but haven't had luck finding one. Can anyone suggest any other 40-50 foot trawlers that may fit our requirements?

Thanks,
Audi
You need to provide more information. Just the two of you? Where and when (certain seasons; year round) do you plan to cruise? Can you live at 6-8 knots or do you want to go a little faster? Budget? Answers or ranges will help folks on the foum guide you.

Michael
N46, Duchess
Hi Michael,

It will be mostly the two of us and a guest couple on board. Since we will be in the warm Sea of Cortez we can cruise almost year round. We are absolutely good with 6-8 knots. Our max budget is probably $250,000.

Thanks,
Audi

Two and occasional guests suggest a vessel in the length of 44-49', give or take a foot. Two heads oreferable for guests, and the length of 44+ will mean you'll have separate shower/head, not a wet head. A displacement hull will be more stable and within your speed range. Might find one with a single engine. If you go semi-displacement, you'll be able to keep the speed around 8 but go a lot faster if needed. But the price will be twin engines and higher fuel consumption when you open up. But that also opens the market a lot more. The Grand Banks models in the 40-50 range might do. They made a lot. Nordhavns have the height for your husband--I'm 6'2" and for the first time have air over my head. North Pacific, Selenes, KK all have lots or overhead. Bayliners too.

Given the information you provided, there will be others chiming in that will know the market and trawlers better.

I have a 42 Grand Banks with Cat 3208.
I love the GB. You might want something a little bigger for 4 with a kitchen down (not in salon). The cats I prefer over Lehman in that you can still get a low burn at 8kts, but can get up to 15 if you need to. Not sure about the headroom. That is something you need to check on each possibility.

Hello,

Thanks,
Audi
I have a Defever 48 located in Rio Dulce, Guatemala, I just listed it, in top condition. Many extras, total off grid boat, solar, 2 gens, stabilizer s, much more. New extra large swim platform.
If interested , contact me. It has been thru Panama canal, already measured, and 2 brand new spare props.

Fotos extra if you want

Attachments

• 1725645870682801131188520860295.jpg
    1725645870682801131188520860295.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 17256459301471395668188378497546.jpg
    17256459301471395668188378497546.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 42
I have a 38’ Diesel Duck that I had listed on the for sale part of the forum around 2022. Do a search and it will probably come up. Feel free to contact me if you would like to talk about my boat. It’s in San Fransisco

I too am from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico since 2010 and cruise in the summer (June-Oct) in the PNW. Currently on a 34 pilothouse Cheoy Lee Trawler but am interested in doing maybe one or two more seasons up here and then getting a boat to do the Great Loop.
BIG fan of Defevers and almost bought a 49 RPH model in La Paz in 2018. But the 48 is a great model as well as the 44+5. A good friend has a 44 and wishes he had that +5.
Will be back in SC near Christmas through May, maybe we can get together? The Rio Dulce is an area we have visited several times and would be a great start off point for us and our cruising plans after 2025/26 time frame. Let's see more about that 48.

I too am from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico since 2010 and cruise in the summer (June-Oct) in the PNW. Currently on a 34 pilothouse Cheoy Lee Trawler but am interested in doing maybe one or two more seasons up here and then getting a boat to do the Great Loop.
BIG fan of Defevers and almost bought a 49 RPH model in La Paz in 2018. But the 48 is a great model as well as the 44+5. A good friend has a 44 and wishes he had that +5.
Will be back in SC near Christmas through May, maybe we can get together? The Rio Dulce is an area we have visited several times and would be a great start off point for us and our cruising plans after 2025/26 time frame. Let's see more about that 48.
Is your boat a single stateroom? I really like your boat and we are a couple years out from looking for a boat in the PNW.

Hello,

Thanks,
Audi
Audi,
We are about to list our 1986 DeFever48 for sale. Located on west coast of British Columbia on Vancouver Island. Boat in excellent condition; recent insurance survey available. Twin John Deeres less than 3,500 hrs, bow & stern thrusters. Alaska and round-Vancouver-Island veteran. No air conditioning, so may want to retrofit for Mexico.

Let me know if possible interest and I can forward that survey with pics.

Ken Fraser

It has a large V berth (good for tall people). But the salon can make an additional double with pull-out and there is a nice single watch berth in pilothouse. Two full wet heads and a shower on the cockpit/swim platform. Plenty of room for a cruising couple. Simply the biggest 34 footer most have ever seen. Most reliable and very economical to run.

Audi,
We are about to list our 1986 DeFever48 for sale. Located on west coast of British Columbia on Vancouver Island. Boat in excellent condition; recent insurance survey available. Twin John Deeres less than 3,500 hrs, bow & stern thrusters. Alaska and round-Vancouver-Island veteran. No air conditioning, so may want to retrofit for Mexico.

Ken Fraser
Ken,

We are at Pender Harbour now. Heading over to Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands for a few more weeks before heading south. Can you send me information on the Defever 48 via email? MexicoEcoResort@gmail.com

Thanks

DJ

Audi,

Ken Fraser
Yes I am interested! Please forward the survey and pics. What is the asking price?

Thanks,
Audi

Thank you to everyone for your responses. They were very helpful. We are in contract on an Ocean Alexander 43. The boat checked all of the boxes for us except the up galley. Decided we loved it too much to pass it up. We are very excited!

Best,
Audi

Back
Top Bottom