Newport Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adopo

Guru
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
1981 Fairchild Scout
This is a show I wanted to attend but will be there in a few weeks for the concours and could not arrange it. Curious as to feedback and general market feel. Palm Beach has been our favorite show, but it was hot and very crowed this past year. I guessing the Newport show is just about right...next year maybe.

Here's a few links and live webcams I could find in the area. So glad Lee was a non factor. No sunscreen needed today.

2023 Show Highlights - Newport International Boat Show - Newport, RI

Newport Brokerage Boat Show

Newport Ferry & Marina, Newport, Rhode Island Camera - Port of Newport Webcams

Last edited:
I was there Thursday, opening day, checking out large “trawlers” with my daughter and son in law. They plan to buy a mid 40s 5-10 year old trawler when they early retire in several years.

We checked out a used Nordhavn 52, a nice Kady Krogen, an American Tug and a slick North Pacific Euro 49. I really liked the North Pacific, but would probably go with the more utilitarian looking non Euro version.

We stayed in Jamestown at an AirBnB house and took the Jamestown ferry over to Newport. Worked well and had no traffic or parking hastles.

Weather was great on Thursday but we left Friday so we missed the wind and rain Sat and Sun.

David

Walked 12,000 steps so far today and still not done. Little chilly and drizzly this morning but actually nice as the morning went on. Pretty much confirmed this is our favorite show. Lots of vendors who may be actually useful to us. Most boats were way out of our league, but some potentially in the ballpark. The RIB-IT dinghy display was interesting, very reasonable prices, you can specify customization features, and we'll likely buy one. We were able to tour any boat we wished, no Palm Beach snobbiness or exclusivity - but then we tried to be realistic and passed on any boats with asking prices in the stratosphere. We toured an American Tug 395 - very pretty boat, but made me appreciate our current boat. All ladders, very tight side decks, no bow or side access from the flybridge, etc. Just goes to show, to each his own on boat preferences, regardless of price. And boy the Sabre boats are pretty.

Tons of interesting things to see, like this Star Wars looking electric outboard. Ooooo.
20230916_152455.jpg

Ribit boats look interesting.

I don't want to side track this into an ad, I have no vested interest in any dinghy producer, but that brand is cool. Aluminum-bottomed rib, storage locker in the bow, comes with rubberized faux-wood decking pads in the floor and bow seat. Steps molded into the fiberglass aft tube caps. Four aluminum plate lifting points inside the dinghy for davit lifting. Big cleat and cleat pad on the bow. Thick aluminum bow plate for towing, no flimsy d-rings. 10 yr warrantee. You can specify colors, and they'll apply reg numbers or "T/T...." at the factory. Choose colors when you order it. Factory in Vietnam. $500 to ship it to South Dakota. And the 9-1/2' weighs 125 lbs. I didn't believe the salesman on the weight, but he easily lifted it off the trailer to show me.

Had a fun time at the Lattitudes & Attitudes party, got a photo of our boys with Bob B. Going home with a huge stack of vendor materials. Got a dinner table at the Black Pearl. Funny how cabin cruiser style boats just don't seem to be in fashion though, although maybe the brokers only bring the newest, high end boats to the show. 20230916_190807.jpg

Back
Top Bottom