Non-skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Just picked up a new to me dinghy with an aluminum floor. Put it in the water and stepped in to it. Hit the floor and down I went, luckily in the boat and not the water. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use on the floor so I don’t end up in the water.

I'm definitely not trying to be mean, but maybe you should practice your technique in stepping down in to your dinghy? The only way you fall on the floor is if you don't land square on the bottom with no longitudinal force, and cushion your impact. So at the gym, check out the large square boxes that will be near the free weight area. Try jumping up to and down from them with both legs first, then switch to one leg. Non-skid not necessary.

Just picked up a new to me dinghy with an aluminum floor. Put it in the water and stepped in to it. Hit the floor and down I went, luckily in the boat and not the water. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use on the floor so I don’t end up in the water.
Is the dinghy floor angled the same as the V hull? One solution is the wide self adhesive non-skid tape, clean floor/sole with white spirit thoroughly and stick it down.

I'm a fan of Kiwigrip. One of the nice features is that you can make it as aggressive or minimal as you want. For my swim platform it's about 60 or 80 grit sandpaper, easy on bare feet.

Ted

Been getting in and out of dinghy’s for thirty years. Always had fiberglass floors. This one has v shaped bottom. Seems when there’s some moisture on the floor it gets slippery. Thanks for all the ideas will figure out which one will work best.

Raptor deck was mentioned previously, I use a similar product in mine. It’s soft under foot and doesn’t seem to heat up too much in the sunlight. Easy to apply with the adhesive already on it. Clean, peel, and stick.

Dont be put off by the fancy work on the Raptor Deck website. If you send them a sketch or a kraft paper template they can send you simple self adhesive pads. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer on two previous boats.
PT11rdTF.jpg

If it were mine, I would paint it with a 2 part epoxy and mix in Home Depot sand. IF after the first coat it is too aggressive, I'd paint a second coat without the sand mixed in.
Color and pattern of your choice of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom