North CA moorage-tax/fees vs. WA State?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The info in your link says it specifically excludes documented vessels. Maybe it works with a boat that you register in another state.

There is another publication (#40) that deals with documented vessels - however it refers you back to that one (#52) for tax exemption. If registered in CA then you are stuck for the tax. Many boats, and all aircraft, are not registered in the state regardless of where they are used or kept.

I know scores of people who have done this for both boats and aircraft. In my case both boats were CG documented, that was clearly stated to the CDTFA, the exemption was granted in writing quoting the CG reg number. Might be best to read the actual statute, but you will find I am right, not lucky.

Sure, consult and attorney if confused - but this is done all the time here.

There is an exception to the 12 months rule in that time the vessel in under repair, retrofit or modification (RRM) at a licensed facility in California doesn’t count as time in California. This exception is highly scrutinized so can be risky. No personal use is allowed in the state within the first 12 months in order to be compliant with the use tax exemption.

Back
Top Bottom