North Pacific 43 Pilothouse vs mid ‘90’s Kadey Krogen 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aroadracer

I’m searching for a suitable dog friendly trawler to do the Great Loop and beyond. I’ve narrowed it down to either a mid 90’s Kadey Krogen 42 or a 2010 ish North Pacific 43 Pilothouse. They are similar in layout, centerline queen, one head, covered cockpit, flybridge and single engine. Can anyone provide a useful comparison between these two boats? Pros and cons, etc. -

Fifteen years of wear and tear difference!

Seriously, I think KK built a better boat, but not enough to make up fifteen years.

Every thing else is in the details: price, instrumentation, engine condition, etc.

David

The Krogen has a superior hull as far as being seaworthy, but probably not relevant to the loop. It would also depend a lot on the individual Krogen. They vary greatly depending on who has owned them. If in doubt, I would probably go for the newer North Pacific.

As mentioned above, who owned the Krogen will be more important than the boat itself. You're talking a 30 year old boat. Depending on how much has been repaired, rebuilt, or replaced, you could spend a year or more squaring the boat away. There is a definition of "Cruising" that goes, "Boat repair in exotic locations".

Certainly wouldn't rule a Krogen out, but it would need to have well documented repairs and major updates to most systems.

Ted

Certainly wouldn't rule a Krogen out, but it would need to have well documented repairs and major updates to most systems.
Ted
What he said. I’m a little biased since we owned a KK42 for 13 uears. One of the reasons we had a KK42 was the hang out space. We lived on it full time and the layout worked for cooking, sleeping, guests and just living on it. Ours was a 1987 so today that boat would be 37 years old. We replaced the fuel tanks, rebuilt the engine, plus a long list of other things that were rebuilt or replaced twice. The previous owners had the hull painted, we repainted the hull and pilot house in 2012. It’s probably ready to be repainted again. Not to scare you off from a Krogen but have both eyes open.

We looked seriously at the NP 43. The KK42 is a more spacious boat and the pilothouse is considerably larger. I haven’t been on an NP 43 for a while though. But pay attention to what Larry said.

Jim

I own a 2010 NP43 and am very happy with it. Nice boat with lots of room. I have never been on a KK42 so have no point of comparison.

A 15 year old NP will likely have some updating that you may want to do. An old KK would definitely have some needed work or upgrades, ULESS the prior owners already have done it.

For coastal cruising, the NP is great. If I was looking at open ocean, I may lean towards the KK.

In any case, I think it will be more about the individual boats you come across. An updated and well kept KK may be better than a NP that needs some care.

Thanks everyone for the great input! Another problem I’m encountering with the KK42 (a 1993 model with no teak decks and seemingly in great shape) is financing. Conventional financing won’t accept a boat over 20 yrs old. Plus 1 for the NP43. I’m also concerned about resale (+2 NP) - but the NP43 I’m interested in is in Texas (I am in Fort Worth). A long way from the loop! Am I crazy to buy a new to me boat at the start of the hurricane season? I haven’t checked on insurance yet but starting that today.

Thanks everyone for the great input! Another problem I’m encountering with the KK42 (a 1993 model with no teak decks and seemingly in great shape) is financing. Conventional financing won’t accept a boat over 20 yrs old. Plus 1 for the NP43. I’m also concerned about resale (+2 NP) - but the NP43 I’m interested in is in Texas (I am in Fort Worth). A long way from the loop! Am I crazy to buy a new to me boat at the start of the hurricane season? I haven’t checked on insurance yet but starting that today.
If I were buying a boat on the Texas coast during hurricane season, it would have to be out of the water till November 1st. There shouldn't be a problem getting insurance with the stipulations "out of the water during hurricane season". I'm assuming you will be on the Loop by next year's hurricane season and would likely have different insurance (North of Savannah during hurricane season).

Ted

I own a 2010 NP43 and am very happy with it. Nice boat with lots of room. I have never been on a KK42 so have no point of comparison.

A 15 year old NP will likely have some updating that you may want to do. An old KK would definitely have some needed work or upgrades, ULESS the prior owners already have done it.

For coastal cruising, the NP is great. If I was looking at open ocean, I may lean towards the KK.

In any case, I think it will be more about the individual boats you come across. An updated and well kept KK may be better than a NP that needs some care.
dhay’s, the NP43 I’m looking at has some previous water entry stains in the wood to the upper right of the master. It has a new headliner so I assume the leak has been addressed. Is this something that can be refinished easily? What other updates do you think I should consider?
The boat has the 230hp Cummings with over 6000 hours. Is that anything to be concerned about assuming proper maintenance and records?

dhay’s, the NP43 I’m looking at has some previous water entry stains in the wood to the upper right of the master. It has a new headliner so I assume the leak has been addressed. Is this something that can be refinished easily? What other updates do you think I should consider?
The boat has the 230hp Cummings with over 6000 hours. Is that anything to be concerned about assuming proper maintenance and records?
It is also a 2010

For years we planned to make a KK42 our next boat, we looked at one last fall in marblehead that needed a lot of differed maintenance to be done. That wasn't the real reason we became uninterested, it was the poor layout and lack of space for ER work . I figured it needed at least 10 days to clean up all the crap in the bilges and ER and to relocate a bunch of poor wiring. It was very tight . I think the Krogen is a much better built boat that the NP ( sorry any NP owners)
Hollywood

For years we planned to make a KK42 our next boat, we looked at one last fall in marblehead that needed a lot of differed maintenance to be done. That wasn't the real reason we became uninterested, it was the poor layout and lack of space for ER work . I figured it needed at least 10 days to clean up all the crap in the bilges and ER and to relocate a bunch of poor wiring. It was very tight . I think the Krogen is a much better built boat that the NP ( sorry any NP owners)
Hollywood
My engine room…

Attachments

• Engine and Transmission 1.jpeg
    Engine and Transmission 1.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 77
6,000 hours is a good thing. It means it’s been used, IMO.

Jim

I am not sure. I also have some water stains on my wood finish that Ivneed to address. The water stains are my own fault.

The portlights can leak and cause sone water egress if the aren't dogged down adequately and then the boat is vigorously washed with a hose. Furthermore, the rubber seals on the portlights benefit from annual application of Armorall.

The other problem I had was a window seal in the saloon. I failed to keep an eye on the external sealant and one window started to leak, leaving water stains on the interior. It was a simple fix.

Both the issues came during a couple year period when I was only rarely able to get to the boat. All boats need maintenance. The problems that I have had were off my own making.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom