Northern Lights 8kw Diesel Generator. (8800 hours)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billlach

i’m going to look at a 2001 Ocean Alexander 453 Classico in Annapolis this weekend. Anybody have any opinions about almost 9000 hours on the generator to Northern lights 8 kW?

Anyone know what kind of life expectancy I can get out of that past 9000 hours if any? Of course, assuming that the service records indicate and oil samples indicate that it has been well cared for.

The main engines are caterpillar 3208 naturally aspirated with mid 4000s on them. I’m not extremely worried about that.

Thanks in advance for any commentary, concerns or recommendations.

Bill

Great genset, many hours left I suspect. You could call NL and talk to them for advice, very nice folks.

i’m going to look at a 2001 Ocean Alexander 453 Classico in Annapolis this weekend. Anybody have any opinions about almost 9000 hours on the generator to Northern lights 8 kW?

Anyone know what kind of life expectancy I can get out of that past 9000 hours if any? Of course, assuming that the service records indicate and oil samples indicate that it has been well cared for.

The main engines are caterpillar 3208 naturally aspirated with mid 4000s on them. I’m not extremely worried about that.

Thanks in advance for any commentary, concerns or recommendations.

Bill
Dosen't matter at this point whether it's NL or another manufacturer. It all depends on how it was treated or abused by the previous owner(s). If it were me, I would want to see service logs, previous oil sample results if available, and service invoices. The best generator isn't going to be worth much if oil changes were every 1,000 hours.

I would want to atleast get a digital copy of the owners manual. Almost always, there's required service intervals for liquids, filters, valve adjustments, and the end bearing in the generator opposite from the engine. I would want to know what has and hasn't been done.

Deferred maintenance on a generator isn't your friend!

Ted

Cat bases their overhaul recommendations on the metric of fuel consumed, not hours of operation.
So you might want to take a look....

If it starts quickly cold, then it probably doesn’t have anything major. Also take off the oil filler cap and put your hand over it a few inched from the cap base. You may feel some light pulses but anything heavy indicates wear.

The two tests go hand and hand to detect significant ring wear.

David

We had the same generator with 1/2 the hours. Check under the exhaust elbow for leaks and rust. It’s often neglected since it’s on the non- service side of the gen set. Engine mounts? And raw water pump.

Most likely it’s a Kubota D1105 engine. Research longevity on that engine. My experience, if maintained it’s good for 30,000 hours.

Back
Top Bottom