Oil Filter compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’m beginning to wonder about those oil filter compatibility charts. When I proceeded to change the oil on my NL 5000 Watt Genny, I went to the local automotive shop, Lordco and they didn’t have the filter, I proceeded to Canadian Tire and yes, they had a compatible filter, which I purchased. I thought, “Hmmm this doesn’t look right” and when I compared the two, it was almost 1/2 the size in length, so I returned it. I talked to the fellow who sold and installed the Genny unit and he suggested Les Hall Filters, who sold Baldwin Filters. So I bought a bunch of these and they look nearly identical in size and shape to the original filter on the unit when purchased.

For my 10 years of owning Phoenix Hunter with the Lehmann SP135, I have used the Fram PH8A filter. I went to Lordco again and no, they didn’t have my filter, so I phoned up Les Hall and they had a match with the Baldwin B2. It turns own that the B2 is larger than the PH8A, however it seems to fit just fine.

Not sure if anyone has thoughts on this. I understand from critical reviews on line that Baldwin makes a pretty good filter.

Jim

The filter may have been 1/2 the length but it would have fit. However, I would assume 1/2 the length would require a shorter time interval.

In other words, comparability by selling standards only means it will fit. Compatibility by my standards means it will fit and meet manufacturers length of time specifications.

Fortunately, you could tell visually that the replacement filter didn’t meet your standards.

I am a big fan of Baldwin filters.

Most spin on filters come in 3 lengths. But all 3 will work. The longer the filter, the slower the oil or fuel passes thru the filter. The slower the flow thru the filter media, the smaller the particle captured. That's why bypass filters clean so much better. The difference between 30 micron (full flow)and 1 micron (bypass) particles captured.

Autoparts stores and some retailers will have a filter catalog. Usually in the back is the spec's for center size, thread, and seal diameter.
Also, on Youtube, there are several videos of spin on filters being opened, the media and bypass valve compared, and conclusions on the best and worst brands.

Most filters are made by just a few companies. The major makers, when not making their own filters, make them for other brands. Sometimes with the same insides, and some with thinner or cheaper media.

There are no engine manufacturers I know of that make their own filters. But they do spec the filters. Some like Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit spec really good media for their commercial duty engines. No so good for smaller yacht engines.

If you're really into filtering your oil, you can install a remote filter of a commercial size by buying a kit. Although, a bypass filter would probably do a better job when used with the standard setup.

I got hold of a Baldwin catalog and called tech support.

I have a Lehman 135 and got the biggest filter that will fit, for everything including the genset.

They even had the fuel filters.

I think they are pictured in my blog, grandbankschoices.

This is an AMSOIL filter fitted to my Lehman 120. 20191016_175312_HDR.jpg

For my 10 years of owning Phoenix Hunter with the Lehmann SP135, I have used the Fram PH8A filter. I went to Lordco again and no, they didn’t have my filter, so I phoned up Les Hall and they had a match with the Baldwin B2. It turns own that the B2 is larger than the PH8A, however it seems to fit just fine.

Not sure if anyone has thoughts on this. I understand from critical reviews on line that Baldwin makes a pretty good filter.

Jim

I haven’t followed any oil filter threads for quite a while, but I do recall, several reviews that,upon analysis, thought that modern Fram filters were among the poorest. It seems your change was prescient.

I haven’t followed any oil filter threads for quite a while, but I do recall, several reviews that,upon analysis, thought that modern Fram filters were among the poorest. It seems your change was prescient.
Yup, the Fram myth again. It persists beyond all reason.

JD
I’ve no idea as to whether Frams are the best for your Lehman. According to several You tube tear downs (Nate’s for one) Frams don’t stack up too well.

I always ran a fram filter on my 120 Lehman and always had great sample results. Don’t know another way to judge it other than the proof is in the performance.

On our last boat the PO had left a bunch of Fram fuel filters for the secondaries. I used them and couldn’t get the engine to start. Called Brian at AD. He said they were crap filters and sent me some he had in stock, don’t recall the brand. I put them on and the engine started immediately. I threw out all the Frams.

I always ran a fram filter on my 120 Lehman and always had great sample results. Don’t know another way to judge it other than the proof is in the performance.

Performance tests for an oil filter do exist, in a laboratory setting. Particles of known size are weighed before and after passing through a filter to establish filter efficiency at various sizes. These tests are done on filters before, during and after normal use by large diesel manufacturers.

Filter design, media employed and susceptibility to degradation are bench marks. On the multi thousand horsepower diesels used in commercial settings, warranties and performance guarantees are critical. Eliminating fuel and oil filters as a weak point is an early in criteria.

I’ve no idea where Fram is placed by the various engine builders. I do know that to maintain warranties filter specs are well defined. I’ve never seen Fram speced, only the engine builders brand or often NAPA.This is not to make money on filters, it is to not lose money on a warranty program.

As noted, American Diesel themselves should be the believable source of oil filter knowledge. Not the guide sitting at the Walmart aisle.

My go to oil filters for my Cummins in my Peterbilt have been Baldwin, Wix, or Fleetguard.
PO of our boat had 4 NAPA Gold filters in spares. Guess I will use them. Internet search did not find anything detrimental.

Thanks, chaps! I’ve looked a bit further and it seems the John Deere filters may be an upgrade on the Baldwin. It seems to me that saving money on a filter based on the cost of a particular brand is a foolish idea. It’s a fraction of the cost of the oil.

Lepke: thanks for the clarification concerning filter size.

Jim

Fleetguard make commercial engine filters and I have used them for oil and fuel.

On our last boat the PO had left a bunch of Fram fuel filters for the secondaries. I used them and couldn’t get the engine to start. Called Brian at AD. He said they were crap filters and sent me some he had in stock, don’t recall the brand. I put them on and the engine started immediately. I threw out all the Frams.

I used lots of fram fuel filters when I had the Perkins T6.354 in my Mainship. I think it was the same part number that the Lehman 120 used.
Never had a problem with them but never used them on the Lehman. I used the AC Delco from ADC or Napa gold.

Yup, the Fram myth again. It persists beyond all reason.

Fram builds a few different filters for most applications, but in most reviews they do come up bottom of the pack. I was a little skeptical myself until I bought an oil filter cutter and cut some up.

The reviews are correct.

In my opinion the best thing you can do on a NL5Kw genset is put on a 90 deg filter adapter (the Ford Competition one fits well) to eliminate the inevitable mess of changing the sideways oil filter. Then you can use a Motorcraft FL500S filter, available almost anywhere.

I used Fram filters in my pickups until I started opening filters. If you don't want to do this, there are several videos on Youtube.
I've run several engines to their overhaul time. I've always kept my oil as clean as possible and run bypass filters since the 1960s. Older engines only had bypass filters and went more hours before overhaul than newer engines. Since I rebuild engines, I see what wears enough to trigger an overhaul. Engines are usually overhauled because the rings/sleeves are worn, power loss, and the engine smokes and starts poorly in cold weather.
Cylinders/sleeves have cross hatching that puts grooves at about 45° into the surface by a hone to aid the rings carrying oil to the upper part of the cylinder/sleeve. Dirty oil wears away these grooves faster and the surface becomes smooth. Less oil lubes the top. Wear accelerates. In my experience, keeping bigger debris out of the oil doubles the life of the rings and the cylinder/sleeves.
Pic shows cross hatching

Attachments

• 671 sleeves xhatching.jpg
    671 sleeves xhatching.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 50
My go to oil filters for my Cummins in my Peterbilt have been Baldwin, Wix, or Fleetguard.
PO of our boat had 4 NAPA Gold filters in spares. Guess I will use them. Internet search did not find anything detrimental.
My understanding NAPA filters are WIX

Why all the angst? Northern Lights parts carries Northern
Lights filters. The have a markup, and they don’t make them, but you can be assured they are the right filters for the job.

Why all the angst? Northern Lights parts carries Northern
Lights filters. The have a markup, and they don’t make them, but you can be assured they are the right filters for the job.

There’s no angst, believe me. I’d get NL filters as well, but they are likely a John Deere equivalent, who probably have some other manufacturer make them. The problem for some of us is the expense of having them delivered to Canada. I would likely have them sent to a parcel service in Point Roberts.

Jim

Thanks, chaps! I’ve looked a bit further and it seems the John Deere filters may be an upgrade on the Baldwin. It seems to me that saving money on a filter based on the cost of a particular brand is a foolish idea. It’s a fraction of the cost of the oil.

Lepke: thanks for the clarification concerning filter size.

Jim

About 10 years or so ago, JD filters were made by FleetGuard. The JD dealer told me this informaiton and the dealer was selling JD and FleetGuard branded filters.

I have always used good name brand filters, Ford, JD, FleetGuard, Mobile, etc and never seen any difference in used oil samples.

I did have a larger sized oil filter on a gas lawn mower engine and the replacement was smaller. Did not like it and we went back and check the filter to make sure we got the correct one and we did. Still made me nervous. :D

I don't go cheap on the filters. They are too danged important and don't cost anything in the grand scheme of things.

Later,
Dan

todays filters have 2 ratings. First is micron, that is the largest contaminant that will fit through the filter. The next rating is called Beta, which is the efficiency. OEM filters have a considerably higher Beta rating, generally 95% and higher. Aftermarket filters are generally in the 60% range. If you have a John Deere, Cummins, Cat, Yanmar, etc you should stick with their filter.

I buy my Fleetguards directly from Cummins. That wat I know they aren’t knockoffs.

FWIW, the NL people will tell you to use their filter. This is partly because it is of known quality, and partly because in a generator application, they are concerned about the bypass valve. On a genset, you don't start at idle and then power up when warm, rather it starts immediately at 1800 rpm with cold oil. This might bypass unfiltered oil in some circumstances.

Having said that, I cheerfully use the Motorcraft filter that fits on the 90 deg adapter. I've cut apart a genuine NL filter as well as the Motorcraft, there is nothing at all special about the NL. It has a cheap bottom type bypass which appears to be set at around 10 - 12 lbs. The media, anti-drain, and bottom spring are unremarkable and perhaps average. Perhaps the only above average thing about it is the price.

JD

I’ve no idea as to whether Frams are the best for your Lehman. According to several You tube tear downs (Nate’s for one) Frams don’t stack up too well.
That YT video is old news. Fram makes filters every bit as good as anybody else. Actually, they make good, better, and best versions.

Cut some Fram filters apart yourself, compare them to Purolator or Baldwin and report back. Old news is still new news.

Back
Top Bottom