Oil Lamp on Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkshaw1

Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I received a very nice hanging brass oil lamp for my birthday. It’s beautiful and very nautical.

My question is would you be completely afraid to light it inside the cabin in a secluded cove or at the Marina?

Hawk

Keep a fire extinguisher close at hand. My big concern would be the exhaust and will it leave soot on the overhead, I don’t know if it will or not.

I've burned lamps for years. I don't worry much about fire hazard as long as it's out of way from being knocked over.

Nowells lamp oil is amazing. Only stuff I use for indoors. No odor. Little soot. Ain't cheap, but worth the shipping expense.

http://www.nowellslighting.com/products/

Peter.

Don’t have issues with gimbaled oil lamps but they do soot the ceiling. Non gimbaled ones must be secured so they can’t be knocked over. Would only use them in a calm setting.

hang it for decorative purposes.....I don't even use candles at home, there is NO WAY I would light a lamp on a boat. Not in a million years.

hang it for decorative purposes.....I don't even use candles at home, there is NO WAY I would light a lamp on a boat. Not in a million years.

Really? I use our oil lamp every night and have so for decades. Why would I waste battery power when I could have the warm/soft light, and no battery draw of a well maintained lantern. It's not for decorative purposes. So far I have avoided those that need a mantle which requires pressurized fuel source. Mostly because they are delicate and might not stand up to the jostling of a sea-way, though they give off a lot more light.

If worried about soot, save it for the cockpit and burn whatever you want. It'll help with mosquitoes.

I am an early riser and like the soft light of a candle or lantern. I've burned a lantern or candle regularly for 25+ years.

I prefer the gimbaled lantern to the swinging "Trawler" style. Maybe I'm naieve, but I do not feel they are unduly unsafe. But I understand if others do.

Peter Screenshot_20220317-205821_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Really? I use our oil lamp every night and have so for decades. Why would I waste battery power when I could have the warm/soft light, and no battery draw of a well maintained lantern. It's not for decorative purposes. So far I have avoided those that need a mantle which requires pressurized fuel source. Mostly because they are delicate and might not stand up to the jostling of a sea-way, though they give off a lot more light.

Check out Aladdin lamps.....mantle, but not pressurized. They put out light equivalent to a 60w elec bulb....or turn down as desired.....their 'Caboose' style was a railroad mainstay

Besides a great ambiance, the touch of heat produced is most welcome on cool nights and mornings!

Many styles.....https://www.lehmans.com/category/aladdin

A hanging nautical oil lamp is perfectly safe if used properly. Keep in mind they were widely used on sailboats up until the 1960's. One thing to keep in mind is that they put out considerable heat so make sure there's enough clearance above. Also they can soot.

Had them on my first liveaboard sailboat.

Along with a 100X more dangerous alcohol stove, no only an icebox and no air conditioning in Ft Lauderdale.

Dangerous?

Not really...people are dangerous because they don`t understand and think things through.

Hang it, enjoy it, careful wick management and clean burning fuel lessen soot but may not eliminate it.

I've owned several of the lamps in post #8, both gimbaled and not. In a lifetime of boating, I never had an issue, soot or safety. I even hoisted one up the mast once as an anchor light because I had a dead battery. They are windproof and safe IMO and the perfect warm glow at night for lighting. I use only liquid paraffin fuel like this and therefore never see any soot.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/weems-plath--oil-lamp-fuel--411688?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3ENonB%3EVendors-_-411688&product_id=411688&creative=504966948374&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbIn0L3W2PJ7uBTxjAu4Hex46piAl42-PZUR8AtafLBE-gqyJ5d4xI8aAlnbEALw_wcB

We used candles on the boat very often. I wouldn't on a gas fueled boat though.

An oil lamp like the one pictured is safer than candles and lasts longer and leaves no mess. If you like candles you should try one.

What ever makes you happy!! Personally, I would just use a dimmable LED lamp. The power they use is next to nothing and absolutely no chance of a fire. On a boat, its a lot more serious if a fire broke out. There was another post about new boats going with electric stoves over propane for that reason.

My big brother died in a house fire 40 years ago. So I am a little one sided on this.

My biggest concern would be soot. I'd be comfortable using an oil lamp on the boat, but I wouldn't leave one lit if I'm out of sight of it.

My biggest concern would be soot. I'd be comfortable using an oil lamp on the boat, but I wouldn't leave one lit if I'm out of sight of it.
The paraffin based oils like two posted above (Weems & Plath, and Nowells) both burn soot free unless the wick is way too long. Pretty much odor free. Expensive stuff but it's all I'll burn because, in my opinion, it's that much better. A couple gallons lasts 5 years or more.

I've tried LED fake candles. They look fine as ornaments but don't provide any light to speak of. Flame of a candle or lantern provides enough glow to illuminate a small space without harshness.

To each their own. All I can say is I've burned candles and lanterns for many years without mishap.

Peter

I have no problem burning a marine oil lamp. They been doing it on modern sailboats for the entire 20th century.

I don't have one, so we use solar 'LUCI Lights' instead. However, each of my LED lights burns .01 amps, so the days of conserving battery with alternative lighting is gone. However, having spent many nights in the dark in various anchorages years ago, we always have alternatives.

Like so many things, used properly and with due care, oil lamps can be quite safe. Misused, or used badly, they can be a significant danger. It's not the lamp that is dangerous nearly so much as it is the operator.

We have 3 oil lamps. Actually a 4th. We no longer use them except once in a while but they are not a problem. Buy a good oil, keep the wick maintained and adjusted, clean the chimney and they provide a nice light.
FOr reading we will use the LED lamps.
All of our lamps are suspended or on brackets on the saloon sides.

The 4th I actively use as an anchor light. I know which is my boat from the light colour. FOr those who think it to dim it is not. IT shows very well from even a 1/2 mile. In an anchorage it shows very well.

Boats have been lighted with oil lamps for centuries. Electricity is the new thing.

Oil lamps can fail to provide adequate brightness if not properly trimmed, but with proper attention will provide enough interior lighting for reading, enough to be used as your anchor light, even behind red or green lenses for navigation lights.

Hurricane lamps provide lots of light and are still used as the mandatory lights on tows, where no electricity is available. We frequently have power outages at home, so we have a hurricane lamp close by for interior lighting in those times. Proper trimming is the key. Adequate light, no smoke.

I have a couple of fresnel lens oil anchor lights that are primarily interior curiosities now, but that started out on my first boats in use as anchor lights.

Last edited:
Why would I waste battery power when I could have the warm/soft light, and no battery draw of a well maintained lantern.

Because of the dirt and danger. I used kerosene lights for years. Still have my old anchor light (at home). First, the dirt (actually, soot). Even when burning clean they put out soot. I can tell that my PO used kerosene lamps at one point. Just run a cloth over someplace that wasn't routinely cleaned. If it's a little darker and oilier than cigarette smoke, it's from kerosene lights. Even when burning clean they are putting out stuff. If you don't mind your lungs looking like the cleaning rag, then kerosene looks cool (like smoking looks cool).

But my bigger reason for leaving kerosene lighting in the past was from an experience I had as a live aboard. No electricity onboard other than the engine starter, so it was kerosene every night. I kept the wicks trimmed and the globes clean. Fuel refills only on the dock.

One morning I woke up with a terrible headache and sore throat. I had fallen asleep on the setee in the main cabin. I crawled out onto the dock where I coughed up blood from my raw throat. Turns out a kerosene lantern was low on fuel, the flame had gone during the night out, but it apparently smoldered all night. The soot wasn't too bad, but I was too sick to go in to work.

I now use that as an excuse sometimes by telling my wife I have permanent brain damage from the incident. I would have definite evidence of brain damage if I continued to use kerosene on board when LED lights are available.

I have an Alladin kerosene lantern which uses a mantle. It is not pressurized. When I lived aboard at a mooring buoy in San Diego Bay it could get pretty chilly in the evenings, and I used to leave it just barely guttering in the aft head with the window open to cut the chill a bit while we slept. At full stretch, it could provide light equal to a 60W incandescent light bulb, and we set it up in the main cabin for light before bedtime. I was most careful of the exhaust heat and never saw sooting above its exhaust deflector. This years before consumer CO detectors were available. The old lamp is now stored away and was not even brought out for the two weeks we suffered without electricity after Hurricane Michael turned our world upside down because of the heat it would have generated in the already hot house. However, a winter power outtage might bring it out - surrounded by CO detectors!

Because of the dirt and danger. I used kerosene lights for years. Still have my old anchor light (at home). First, the dirt (actually, soot). Even when burning clean they put out soot. I can tell that my PO used kerosene lamps at one point. Just run a cloth over someplace that wasn't routinely cleaned. If it's a little darker and oilier than cigarette smoke, it's from kerosene lights. Even when burning clean they are putting out stuff. If you don't mind your lungs looking like the cleaning rag, then kerosene looks cool (like smoking looks cool).

But my bigger reason for leaving kerosene lighting in the past was from an experience I had as a live aboard. No electricity onboard other than the engine starter, so it was kerosene every night. I kept the wicks trimmed and the globes clean. Fuel refills only on the dock.

One morning I woke up with a terrible headache and sore throat. I had fallen asleep on the setee in the main cabin. I crawled out onto the dock where I coughed up blood from my raw throat. Turns out a kerosene lantern was low on fuel, the flame had gone during the night out, but it apparently smoldered all night. The soot wasn't too bad, but I was too sick to go in to work.

I now use that as an excuse sometimes by telling my wife I have permanent brain damage from the incident. I would have definite evidence of brain damage if I continued to use kerosene on board when LED lights are available.

Human error (lighting it when low on fuel and the possibility or it going out during an away or sleep cycle)

Like all equipment...many if not most accidents are human failures not equipment problems.

Just like the fire danger...only use it when present or nearby.

Minimizing risks can almost eliminate most dangers.

After removing the ugly pressed wood covering between the salon windows, I made some replacement and mounted vintage gimballed oil lamps I had on a sailboat. They produce a soft warm light that's easy on the eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 44
I wish we could stop making statements that are really irrelevant to the OP's question. For the last time, use a good quality paraffin-based lamp oil (not kerosene or other cheap tiki torch oil, etc) and it will burn clean with no soot or odor. You might pay $20 for a quart, but is that going to break your boating budget? It's amazing how far that quart will go. Also, if you are going to compare LED lighting to an oil lamp, you're missing the point. It's like saying don't build a wood fire in your fireplace and instead put an electric space heater in it's place. People who enjoy the warmth and ambiance of a natural flame are not doing so strictly for efficiency. A quality enclosed oil lamp is much safer than candles and many other things that could cause a disaster on your boat.

Straight kerosene would definitely be dirty. Used with a mantle, the combustion is pretty complete. Never burned anything without a window open.

I marvel at all the TF threads discussing the best grills to have on board. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those here worried about oil lamp risk have grills on the aft deck ;-)

As for me, I changed my regular ceramic stove to induction because of a near-fire event. A grill (at least one with flames) would be out of the question on my boat. I might consider the right type of oil lamp, if I could convince myself that it's safe... and odor & soot free... It would be enjoyable.

Last edited:
Christmas trees, deep fryers, space heaters and cigarettes* are all safe if used properly too, but somehow they keep starting house fires. When I worked for an insurance company I saw lots of data about house fires. I haven't used candles or resistance space heaters since then (with the exception of birthday candles on a cake). I agree that the risk from an oil lamp is low, but its not zero. LED's eliminate the battery concern, and you can get them in many different shades, from full orange to obnoxiously white. I understand the ambience value but for me it would not be worth it.

*for fire hazard....not lung cancer

Back
Top Bottom